rFactor2 Build 156 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Timple

I would take a wild guess that your increased fps may have something to do with your lower settings (-;

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

It's nice to have a new build, am I right in saying this ones a tad low key ?

3. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

Youre welcome :)

4. Baule

Baule Registered

Does that mean that the AIs don't pit for fuel or tyres if it isn't absolutely necessary?

In rF1 I had some endurance races on the Nordschleife against AI. The AIs always pitted far too early, they could've driven another 1 or 2 laps. In a 4h race the AIs pit at least 2 more times than me, the race results are extremely distorted by that AI-behaviour...

5. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

No, it means they do not pit when it's not allowed, but when it's allowed they do pit normally.

An example of situation when pitting is not allowed could be the first phase of a full course yellow.

6. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

No Ive always had them like this in rF2 to atleast get a reasonable performance, but I think I got a little jump. I did OC my 7970's core by 50mhz and memory by 75mhz so that could have something to do with it aswell

7. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I was just about to say I got some improvement too.
    Unlike what was going on the beginning; guys always saying they had gained 20 or 30 fps every build (they should be around 3.000.000 fps now) and I wasn't gaining anything; now I read almost no one about it, and I gained 10 to 15 fps.
    Settings are the same, exact.

8. argo0

argo0 Registered

Hi,
    I get this issue at both older tracks (Estoril) and newer ones (Lime Rock) and tracks in between (Palm Beach). I have my shadows on medium. If I set to Max there is an improvement but some shadows are still drawn in front of me as I drive towards them. Also, I wouldn't expect setting shadows to medium should mean you have to put up with seeing them drawn as you approach.

Here are some screenshots showing the issue at Palm Beach as I exit the pits, shadows on medium -

View attachment 6497 View attachment 6498 View attachment 6499

and here with shadows on maximum I can see a rough edge of shadow being drawn alongside the much improved main shadow from the wall -

View attachment 6500 View attachment 6501 View attachment 6502

Any thoughts, if you have time?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2013
  9. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Good good fps improvements on some systems

I use to get a nice sun glare coming out if the tunnel at monaco such a nice effect (in the earlier builds) will this return does anyone know ?
    Does anyone know about the effect ?

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 1, 2013
  10. Hazi

Hazi Registered

which tunnel at spa?

11. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

:D The one under Eau Rouge offcourse!

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Lol sorry & corrected

13. Miro

Miro Registered

Jup this anoys me also very much. Also when watching the replays and the car shadows are switching on and after the car passes the camera they just disapear again. Even on high settings you can see that clearly and this destroys enjoying the replays.

The only two tracks where this is not that much a biggie are Croft and Putnam Park cuz the cams are switching fast and the cars are not that far away to the cam every time. The quallity difference of the replays is obvious. Without shadows it looks like the cars are just floating above the track.

14. f1ligue

f1ligue Registered

Good job ISI team.
    Keep up!

15. Magus

Magus Registered

I had the shadow issues on new build & this worked a treat, thanks!

16. argo0

argo0 Registered

Here's a video showing a great example at Brianza. Note this is not a replay, although the AI is driving, and note that not all shadows are affected but does appear to be the same shadows each time.

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Seems so, as people have reported an issue. But I wasn't aware of any.

18. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Yeah, I agree.

What your screenshot show is actually a different kind of problem than what I have at Monaco.
    In Monaco, some objects are set to cast shadows only from certain distance, so shadow of entire object pops up suddenly.

In Palm Beach, you have objects visible in nearest shadow cascades, but not rendered to further shadow cascades.

rF2 is using cascaded shadow maps. This means you have high-res shadows near observer, but further away from camera, quality of shadows is decreased.
    For smaller objects, it makes no sense to render them to low quality shadowmaps, further away from camera, because they would be too small and only appear as some random shadow pixels. You could say that these objects become irrelevant for shadows at some distance.
    For some reason, that pitwall at Palm Beach seems to be considered such small, irrelevant object for further shadowmaps.

It seems like this part is not setup or working correctly and objects are removed from shadowmaps too early.
    But I believe this may also be related to some bug in frustum culling mechanism, that prevents some objects from being rendered into appropriate shadowmaps.

And trees have their own issues with frustum culling - especially for shadows.

As for visible edge between two levels of shadowmap cascade - they will be there. It's just the way this technology works. With good setting it will be less apparent, though. And perhaps in future there could be more smooth transition between two consecutive shadowmaps, but it would only span small area at the edge between shadowmaps, so eventually you would still see it (although a bit softer).

19. 88mphTim

Yeah it was. :D I do have the fastest residential line I can get, but they don't like to give a decent upload speed. I never even have a use for the download speed.

20. 88mphTim

Yes, indeed. If it is a concern, note that sometimes larger things are left out if not ready, and what is ready would be released.