rFactor2: Best Conversion Starting Point ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bink, Nov 20, 2011.

1. Bink

Bink Registered

Hi,

I built a long track with BTB for rF1. It drives great in rF1, so now I'm detailing all non-road (non-AI) elements, section by section, in 3dsMax with different track sections in containers. So, I have all the requisite rf1 files already (aiw, gdb, tdf, etc..).. from the initial BTB conversion.

My Question:
    What initial track file format will facillitate a faster rFactor2 conversion workflow:

1. Track Files in 3dsMAX with dx shaders? [...how I usually work..] ?
    or..
    2. Track Files converted to rFactor 1 format with existing "dev corner" plugins/tools?

Just curious if you could tell us which of the 2 file starting points rFactor2 conversion would be more agreeable to (?).

Answering this would make new venues come out of your eventual rF2 beta version more quickly.

Thanks for everything so far...

2. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I'm betting 99:1 that having original files in 3DSMax is the best starting point.

3. mianiak

mianiak Registered

I'd go for option 1

4. Petros Mak

Petros Mak Registered

Working with source files is always the best way to go. By doing that, its not considered a conversion, but rather, a scratch mod as your putting it into the new game from scratch using the source files. A conversion can only be considered a conversion when you don't use source files and use game files and edit them to place them in another game.

Option 1 is always the best way to go as with source files, you can change settings and elements far easier, just as when you were first building the content.

5. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

From what I understand, which isn't everything, admittedly - this is correct.

6. Bink

Bink Registered

Thanks... all. I had hoped having the existing aiw file (dry line) may help as well for one of the new rF2 lines. The original 'dev corner' aiw editor seemed to crash when presented with waypoints > ~10k ... I eventually used the BTB aiw editor instead.... It has a brilliant GUI... The eventual rF1 ai cars are fast, and behave well on track.

7. 88mphTim

That's one of the changes which has to be made between rF1 and rF2 tracks anyway if you want to use the new tech in your track (as the line comes from activity, not from a predetermined line).

8. Bink

Bink Registered

Good info.. Thanks... Now I guess it's.. some google time about working effectively with HDR, Bloom, SSAO, and ...(?).

9. 88mphTim

If you mean the conversion time? Scott said a skilled modder could upconvert a track in a week (not sure if he meant solidly, or a week with a day job), but some may wish to take longer.

10. Bink

Bink Registered

Hey Tim... No ... just thinking about time that I will need to get up to speed on all the things you guys are implementing. I've done very little else for several years now anyway. It's a way of life. No complaints.

11. Omicron

Omicron Registered

But predetermined line is the path where AI cars will be driving, which also means where the racing line will emerge. Unless you're not driving against the AI.

12. 88mphTim

The AI drive different lines according to their parameters.

13. John DiFool

John DiFool Registered

Tim, are you saying that the AI is dynamic and actually <gasp!> can think about what it is doing around the track without needing a predetermined AIW line to slavishly follow? In other words it "instinctively" knows what the best line is for a typical corner?

14. Sam Binfield

Sam Binfield Registered

If this is correct it may finally solve the problem of AIW's being perfect for some mods, while making others crash/flip/be slow. This was always a particular problem with curbs and some mods refused to play ball. For a someone who races mainly offline (pun not intended) this will be a godsend.

15. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

One thing which really works for RF1 tracks AIW creation: to record the best line as slower as you can, just trying to follow the straighter line possible. I got faster 3-4 seconds AIW cars doing like that. The breaking points and the throttle zones don't have anything to do with AI cars performance, only the best (smoother) line do.

All that you get trying to drive fast during best line recording is to create sharp corners which will slow the AI cars down.

If I understood correctly, Wheatley is saying that AI cars now are able to find the best lines by their own considering the track condition, thus (probably) we'll only have to create the main path and maybe the corridors, to constrain the AI cars action area.

16. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

I've been playing around a lot with that and what I figured out is: the AI being perfect for some mods and for other doesn’t is related to the *.HDV cars file, mainly on the lines that refer to the drivers’ behavior.

I managed to become bad AI drivers who turn over, spin and crash all the time in good drivers by replacing those HDV lines and keeping AIW file exactly the same.

17. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

Can we have some information about the new file structure?

[​IMG]

As Beta version is coming I'd say it would be a good time for it.