SOLVED rFactor won't launch, only dev mode

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by LilElectrician, Aug 10, 2022.

1. LilElectrician

LilElectrician Registered

I downloaded the game yesterday after a long break from sim-racing, so the last time the game was installed was in '19 or something. Now, after freshly installing it the game won't launch. I've included a trace file below.

When I start the game via Steam this happens:

1. Splash screen of rFactor appears as usual.
    2. Then the game window appears as a white screen
    3. The rFactor loading mouse cursor appears.
    4. After roughly 10 seconds the game goes to a black screen, minimizes, and then the executable is killed off.

This is what I have tried so far:
    - Uninstalling and reinstalling the game
    - deleting the User Data folder in the root directory
    - verifying the game files
    - unsubscribing from all workshop content
    - installing the 4 redistributables located in the Support folder as suggested by many
    - changed the refresh rate, window mode, rendering device, and resolution in the configurer.

Launching the game in DevMode works as usual. But I haven't tried driving a car in it yet.

Apparently, the game is not reading my input devices correctly... Or at least that's what I think since it says so in the log file.

Could anyone help me with this? I'm out of ideas, and I'd really like to give the new DLC a shot.

Attached Files:

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

system specs please. video card, video ram, system ram & cpu. Laptop or desktop?
    verify in Steam that you are using the NONE option under the Beta tab. Right click on the library listing for rF2.
    rfactor2/preferences/betas

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  3. LilElectrician

I forgot to mention that, sorry. I checked the tab before and I already opted out.

Gigabyte GTX 1070 w/ 8GB
    16GB RAM (forgot the brand, I’ll have to look after I’m done at work)
    Running on a Windows 11 Desktop.

I do use MSI afterburner however, yet I saw people mentioning that it could cause problems. My card is overlocked, as are my CPU and RAM. I haven’t tried running the default settings with MSI again, I merely tried turning the programme off as well as RivaTuner.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  4. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Your system should have no problem running rF2 so, what is next? You have covered almost all the trouble-shooting steps that often help. The behavior almost sounds like issues many people had with the first WeB interface they tried a year or two ago. We really haven't had too many loading issues since they updated the UI a 2nd time.
    When you wrote you 'downloaded' the game again, was that via Steam? Hopefully somebody else will take a look at this as I'm flummoxed as well. If you have a lot of USB devices, try unplugging all but the most necessary. Wheel and pedals only. Restoring your hardware's original clock speeds could help, but it 'shouldn't' :)

5. LilElectrician

Yes, I own the game on Steam since 2018, that’s where I always downloaded it.

Although it sounds tedious, I’ll give the USB thing a shot. Thx so far!

6. LilElectrician

Alright, I fixed it. Jesus Christ, you won’t believe what it was.

I checked the trace file again and wondered why the JNIlog (Java Native Interface) spouted about being unable to cache bundle the correspond .jar files. Those were roughly 45 exceptions meaning every single .jar file ,required for the new UI they implemented, couldn’t be accessed/called upon. You’ll instantly notice what it was when I paste the URL in here:

Because I have all my games and DRMs in one folder I like to organise the DRMs to be ontop of the list, which is why I added a special character to "Steam", calling it "#Steam". But JNI parses URL without quotations apparently and doesn't make it a full string, which is why my stupid idea of using "#" backfired and sent the code straight to the shadow realm. I changed the directory and now the game boots...

TLDR

IF YOUR PATH TO THE rFactor ROOT DIRECTORY HAS ANY SPECIAL CHARACTERS IN IT e.g. "W:\Games\#Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2" remove the special characters for the JNI to interpret the path properly.

I'll include both trace files "working" and "not working" to let you see the difference in both cases!

Thanks for your help still.

Attached Files:

DJCruicky and davehenrie like this.