rfactor pro selling us lidar tracks

Discussion in 'Wish Lists' started by coops, Jul 31, 2012.

1. coops

coops Banned

i know the RF pro tracks are LIDAR scanned

ok Tim are rf2 users allowed to buy these tracks for rf2 off of ISI ??????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    now this would be the biggest and best thing for the wish list..........

2. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Coops

You mean laser scanned, I assume these tracks are not the property of ISI but belong to the race teams (or f1 fed) that use mainly rfactor pro, the race teams have their own software engineers to create their own cars & laser scan tracks etc

I doubt the f1 teams would be interested in selling their tracks, these are all my assumptions I could be wrong etc

A laser scanned full f1 track pack would be a dream though hey

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

NORDSCHL....ah never mind :p

4. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

Tim said they would sell them or scan one for you in an earlier post about laser scanned tracks. Just make sure you approach them with your checkbook open

5. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

As I understand it's very expensive and time consuming to laser scan a track. The guys who did Eastern creek blogged about it.

6. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

It is indeed.
    But time spent is not longer than detailed modelling by hand.
    Also LS shape is more believable. And imo result is worth a price.

Edit: Another thing is, that even LS track may look bad or may not represent real track good. For example LSed Spa in current rF2 will no look as good as iR version. It's just because there are differences in lighting system. And even if would be comparable, then there is 'artistic factor' of creators which may change final result. For example making look more warm than should be. etc, etc.

What I want to say, I can agree that LS itself is not a guarantee for the best quality. however it is the best tool if used in proper way.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2012
  7. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

I've raced both, and I'm not convinced scanned tracks are any better. I feel it's just a marketing tactic, which seems to have an effect on some.

8. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Depending on what does 'better' mean for you. And I'm curious what tracks/titles you was comparing. iR to rf1 ones?
    For example I can bet that no 3d modeller is able to reproduce track and environment with the same precision as with using LS
    If such precision is required or fact that each circuit is constantly changing year by year are another cases. But the fact remains unchanged.

BTW: I have feeling we are heading the same discussion which has been active on this forum maybe about a year ago.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2012
  9. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

I don't think such precision is required.

Yeh, I started that thread. I'm fine without scanned tracks...I just want to race

10. michaeljj

michaeljj Registered

Is really your aim is only race? Are you not at all interested in scanned tracks?

------------------------
    lidar companies

11. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

No, from what I understand the tracks were licensed for rF Pro, and for non-commercial usage within rF Pro. Any usage outside of that we would have to pass the cost to you, which as noted before, isn't viable.

12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Hiya Tim,

I & I'm sure some would possibly consider a purchase like this if it were a separate special option -separated from the forthcoming marketing etc of rfactor 2 (maybe to be know through the forums etc) as a special purchase

I've had to buy complete seasons of iracing tracks before etc, not sure if it's within ISI's power to do it this way?

13. 88mphTim

But as a separate option, where's the profit, exactly? You need to FORCE people to purchase it, like iRacing does, to ensure you make your money off scanning and licensing those tracks.

It's within our power to make the tracks using that method, of course, but you would need an entirely different pricing system. Most people here threw a 'fit' with rFactor2s, remember iRacing gets paid regularly whether you buy additional content or not, and those monthly/yearly fees cover a lot more than our (optional) $12 per year.

A limited license like those tracks have in rF Pro can be relatively cheap, when you go to a track asking for a retail product license, numbers change a lot. A lot of tracks also are obscenely overpriced for licensing for a product like rF2... Most British tracks, for example, I could license 4-5 MAJOR north American tracks for 1 MINOR British one. It's silly. And frankly, without an iRacing pricing model, a pricing model we don't think fits our market, you aren't going to get scanned circuits. Simple as that.

All this has been discussed before. :)

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

I see, sorry I though these existing & ISI had access to them, I got the wrong end of the stick,

Understood -thanks for reply

15. coops

coops Banned

tim thats opened my eyes up about laser scanned tracks with the licensing, i for 1 am glad isi has not gone this way and know wonder iracing is so expensive. and im sure after seeing a few tracks released for rf2 that im not missing out on that much, depending on the effort put in by the modding community on where the standards will be set, but so far so good....

16. RMachucaA

RMachucaA Registered

Some scanning companies keep copies of every scan, tracks included, which (legally or not, i assume it is legal) can be bought for a lot cheaper then sending out a crew to scan the already scanned track.

Just FYI.

17. Saabjock

Saabjock Registered

Laser scanned tracks are not necessary in rfactor2 or any other race simulation for that matter.
    The negligible benefit vs cost simply don't add up.
    It's beneficial for race team simulators because they like to know where every bump or undulation is on track for the purpose of setting up gearbox and suspension valving rates. No team like to find their car's driven wheels in the air. Apart from the obvious, (wheels off the ground/ loss of contact)... landing with that much torque going through the diff does really bad things to spider gears. On the suspension side, they use the data to setup shocks on the dyno to see what the bumps are doing to fluid temperatures for valving adjustments.
    For us...not so much.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2012
  18. 88mphTim

Getting the data isn't the issue, using it is. Silverstone, for example, own the data for their track as a part of the scan agreement. If what they own is resold, or just used in some other product, yikes.