rFactor Pro Recruiting Track Developers

Discussion in 'Track Modding' started by rFpro, Dec 3, 2013.

1. rFpro

rFpro Registered

rFactor Pro is a commercial implementation of the rF2 graphics engine and codebase targeting professional users in the Motorsport and Automotive industries. Over the last six years rFpro has grown from a start-up to a position where it is the platform of choice for most F1 and NASCAR manufacturers. In the last two years rFpro has expanded into the automotive world and is now also being used by automotive manufacturers and Tier-1 suppliers in North America, Japan and Europe.

We are looking to expand our track development team to work on a wide variety of race circuits, test facilities and test routes, built to extremely high standards from kinetic LiDAR engineered road surfaces.

You will have proven experience of your role and will be able to show examples of your work and demonstrate your abilities on a small test build, if requested. Ideally you will already have commercial experience on any racing title. You will have a high attention to detail, be self motivated, reliable and with a good eye for colour and textures.

Vacancies:
    1. Studio Manager

2. Producer

3. Lead Artists

4. Track Modellers and artists

For the right people, this is an amazing opportunity to get in at the beginning of a new high-growth industry, supplying high-tech digital circuit models to the commercial world, using leading edge technology. We have become the default vendor of choice, on merit, to the Motorsport industry and our aim over the next five years is to become the default choice for driver-in-the-loop simulation for the entire Automotive industry.

Please send your CV to careers@rfactor-pro.com

[NOTE: this commercial forum post has been placed here with the permission of ISI]

2. chappielike2009

chappielike2009 Registered

How different is rFpro to rfactor 2 ?

3. rhamm

rhamm Registered

rFactor Pro is their real job that makes them money. rFactor 2 is a side project.

4. Golden Ticket

Golden Ticket Registered

Hi chappie

To develop digital track models for, there is very little practical difference. (Used max and done some track modding? apply to above link)

rFactor 2 played at home vs compared to what rFPro is like in the "Team Scenario".......? I honestly, could'nt say. Though looking at the few bits and pieces on youtube, with full motion bases "kick you in the backside on gear change" , really powerful steering wheels, big wrap around screens........I'd like one. :)

5. Jerry Luis

Jerry Luis Banned

The fan base of rfpro is less demanding than rf2´s.

6. Golden Ticket

Golden Ticket Registered

Wanna bet?

7. Butch Nackley

Butch Nackley Registered

LOL, that's a good one :)
    I do believe I understand what you are saying there ;)

8. Foxtrot

Foxtrot Registered

I'd actually believe this to some extent.

Since they are only interested about the pure driving simulation, I'm sure they wont be moaning about dx9 graphics/imperfect lighting and similar things.

ISI's physics engine is arguably the best/most dynamic around, and I would imagine the teams code their own car physics.

So what's left for them to bitch about?

9. Capeta

Capeta Registered

Pretty sure about that too.

rF pro is just the tool, if RBR want to build a team that make their own cars and tracks, they will not care about something other than the realism of the soft.

10. Golden Ticket

Golden Ticket Registered

Well. I've been in the games industry for 15+ years. Worked on GP3 and GP4, have been around the block a few times. And I'll take your bets.

But the only way any of you will know for sure, is if you have done some modding for the rFactor community, and then apply at the above link, get the job, then in 6-12 months or so, you can come back and talk about the word "demanding". :)

Any takers?

11. filippu

filippu Registered

I'd say that it's not that the work is more or less demanding, but on one hand you're paid to do a professional work, on the other hand you have to deal with the "fan base" (to quote Jerry) who bashes your work you've done for free, complains all the time, and acts as if you owe them something.

12. Golden Ticket

Golden Ticket Registered

Of course you are right filippu

I did a fair bit of freelance work for MSFlight Sim making aircraft models. And these were sold to the public, and many of them being propeller heads and rivet counters made for intense forum debates at times. lol. Was a good training ground though as it tought me the importance of ultimate accuracy. And of course, as an artist you put several weeks/months or even years in to a project you have devoted a lot of time and passion for, and if people come and rip it apart, it can be quite shattering.

Work for the pro race teams is quite different, but far more "demanding". For one thing, it is relentless, its not something you can come to as and when you have time, the teams have very tight scheduels and plans for the year and they know exactly when they need what, and we HAVE to deliver on time, and that can make for some pretty long and stressful hours. The work also has to be perfect, bug free, every error and bug gotten rid of. Also, we might get a couple of months to make a track where as a freelancer one can take a lot more time over a project. And as said before, it just does not stop, even on weekens and leading up to races, when they get to and walk a circuit for the first time, a slew of additional change requests can come through and these have to be done in a matter of hours so as to be useful for the coming weekend, without losing time on your other scheduled works.......

This work would suit, someone who can devote their full time (life) to it........someone who has good 3DSMax skills and have used those skills to make a track for rFactor/rFactor2. Someone who is not affraid of hard work, and someone who wants to make a nice chunk of money in return for their hard work. Honestly, this is life changing stuff on offer here, so please, if you think you have the skills, drop us a line.

13. Joshua Healy

Joshua Healy Registered

It's a shame my skills aren't exactly up to scratch yet, I've only just started getting my first track under way after a year of learning Maya (That's right, odd guy out using Maya to model for rF2 until I get a handle on Max). Even set up a blog/diary to track my own progress.
    If I had started doing this a lot earlier and had some decent skills I might have applied, if this had come around a year later I probably would have been confident in trying, all my free time outside of study is going into this track I'm making.

Anyway, hope you find someone worthy of doing the job ;)

14. Golden Ticket

Golden Ticket Registered

Bump

Hello All.

Art Director at rFPro here.....and we need to grow.....

We are looking for track/props/building artists at the moment, and a fair few of them, so please get those emails in. What we really need are people that can create original content. Example: If you are given 4-5 photos of a building, can you make the geometry and maps for the building?.......Example: can you be given a track mesh, and with the correct reference, then create the kerbs, verges, walls, hills, trees, etc.....from scratch, using 3DSMax.....

On the job training will be given, as we have very specific ways of doing things. But if you have good basic max/modeling/track skills and make your own content (as opposed to editing content created by others), please get in touch. careers@rfactor-pro.com

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you.

15. Marc Collins

Marc Collins Registered

I nominate feels3...so just outbid SimBin and you can have him!

16. Bink

Bink Registered

Sounds like any other job in entertainment:
    1. Don't design anything that can hurt the equipment or the 'star',
    2. Meet the kids when you retire,
    3. Sleep when you die.

17. Golden Ticket

Golden Ticket Registered

Hi Bink

So jaded.....lol...

1. The art side of rFPro make the graphics. Sometimes we push the graphics cards a bit hard, but I've not seen one actually smoking and sparking.....yet......
    2. It's not a prison sentence. Come work with us for a year, two or three. Save up a nice deposit for a house with a garden your kids can run around in. Then go get a desk job where you can put your feet up, for 1/3 of the money.....Yes, working for these teams is Very demanding work, but very rewarding also. And we all "have lives", mine is on the southwest coast of the UK, right next to the beach.
    3. Don't we all?

But you are correct. It's not an "easy-life" type of job, and really, would you expect it to be at this level? We don't have people that walk around with clip-boards all day, or who arrange meetings and try and talk these things in to existence. We work, hard.....but, you can choose your own hours, work from anywhere with an internet connection, and as long as things are on time and to standard, you can do what you like with your free time.......swings and roundabouts.

Not to mention, when you are done and want to move, you get to put F1 and NASCAR on your CV and have it really mean something. It opens doors, trust me...... :)

18. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

Everything in the art field needs loads of passion which has a cost in your life yeah, point is when and if - you feel that as a bad cost or a good one (most of the time is a bad one for your relatives LOL...). Works like with music, paint or whatever needs lot of time to be done properly. Everything in a life it's a matter of choices, nobody is forcing you to play the Rach 3 Opus 30 on the piano...but if you want to play that music you need to spend half (and more) of your life into it. What I find amazing is there is still someone paying you to do what you love to do (pretty rare I'd say)...and yeah, sometimes a young artist may find the sleep a huge waste of time...:)

Good luck for all new rF2pro guys. ;)

19. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Sorry for OT, but:
    I like that line. It's like, sometimes you wish you could "recharge batteries" in a matter of a few minutes and then continue working for another 24h, because there's so much to be done :D

btw. no need for a physics integrator? :D

20. Bink

Bink Registered

@ Golden Ticket... I wasn't complaining... just leaning toward reality.

About item 1.. in films, tv, concerts, and theme parks, the major stress is to NOT injure anyone (by attempting to make everything idiot-proof). Presumably, the content you're referring to will find it's way into a simulator. Having designed hardware and software for simulators (globally), it's pretty clear that they can be just as worrisome as putting a camera-synced weapon into the hands of the "star", who's prior work experience mostly involved waiting on tables. Then there's the grips, gaffers, riggers, roadies, pyro(maniacs), or local technicians who set-up everything when it gets loaded on stage... and wondering what they may have been smoking that day. Bottom line, if anything goes funky, you can be pretty confident that the producer will not be taking the blame.

With item 2... we didn't have kids, so in my case, it was "see my wife when we happened to be working on the same continent, or at the same studio"... which wasn't as bad, as she was also in the biz, and we both understood the game.

"Sleep when you die" was mostly just a joke you'd hear at 3am the week before load-in. This was generally a result of having used a highlighting marker on every page of the script that involved some gag you were responsible for, agreeing in production meetings on the precise specifications, and then having an art or vfx director completely change those specs at the last minute.

The truly sick part about of all this is that now, happily retired, I find myself coding some free aiw creation software at 2am last night, and instead of worrying about the dinner I missed 6 hours ago, I'm mostly concerned with prohibiting the user from doing something stupid with their fast line.

Old work habits are hard to change... (which may refute your remark about it not being a 'sentence').