rFactor on Steam

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 2, 2015.

1. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Hi everyone,

Sorry for posting this a few hours after I posted it everywhere else.

rFactor is now on Steam. Thank you to everyone for greenlighting it. Thanks also to Marcel, who did the actual work. His blog on it is a good read: http://www.planetmarrs.net/rfactor-full-steam-ahead/

Here is a 'changelog' from the 1255G you currently would buy from us:
    - Steam stats and achievements.
    - Steam matchmaker and presence (join a friend's game, etc.).
    - Steam Music Player (a car stereo ;) ).
    - 4GB support.
    - Support for 6 controllers with 64 buttons (original had 3 controllers and 32 buttons).
    - Fixed the number of pitstop counter.
    - Added low FOV support (down to 10 degrees).
    - Added support for setting FOV in car through configurable buttons.

So you're aware, all versions are cross-compatible. You do not need the Steam version to join a Steam hosted race, vice-versa.

You CAN still buy from us, that remains unchanged. We get more money from you that way anyway, makes sense, right?

Any questions on transferring product keys to Steam keys, or whether your DVD can be, is probably answered here: http://rfactor.net/web/rf1/help/

Lastly, here is the Steam link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/339790/

Feel free to write a review as well.

Can't answer any questions on how this affects rF2 being on Steam at this time.

Thanks,

Tim

2. Associat0r

Associat0r Registered

Does transferring to steam keep your old non-steam key valid?

3. matf1

matf1 Registered

So it would be more profitable for ISI for me to purchase directly and then apply for the Steam code?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

4. 88mphTim

If you're applying, rather than just buying from Steam, you already paid us. We'd make the most money if everyone bought it twice, if that's the answer you want... lol :)

5. 88mphTim

No, your ISI key remains valid. Because Gjon is nicer than I would be. ;)

6. matf1

matf1 Registered

To be clear, to date I have not purchased rFactor.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

7. 88mphTim

Ah, then yeah, Steam don't take a cut when you buy from us.

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

good for online using steams push button voice talk

9. rongarz

rongarz Registered

Congratulations on the release. I'm glad my vote helped.

I think you've already answered my question, but I'll ask again to be clear.

I purchased rFactor here on the official site last year. I keep a clean lite install folder then make a copy of that folder and rename it for each separate mod. I would like to redeem a Steam code just to have it in my library, but I will probably stick to the old tried and true method using the non-Steam installs to play. I want to avoid a situation where a Steam activation locks me out of the flexibility to go back and use multiple installs of the old version for mods which recommend separate installs.

Will redeeming my Steam code prevent future non-Steam installs or activations, even if I do a fresh Windows install or want to migrate to a new PC? (I do have a backup of my .rFactor folder.)

10. Foxiol

Foxiol Registered

Activated on Steam and downloading this old bastard! ;)

To think that thanks to a console game (Gran Turismo 4) and because of buying my G27 back in 2009 (at release, still with me and working) which came with the rFactor demo CD...That purchase made me a simracer, fall in love with rFactor and the massive mod community.
    Of course bought the licence and then couldn't activate it because the link provided by the "activator page" instead of giving a proper ".exe" gave me the whole demo again and it was impossible to activate. I had to play rFactor with a crack...lol (I asked Tim if ISI had a fix for that some years ago)
    Now the "activator-crack" is not needed any more! Woo hoo! ;)

rFactor 2 should follow the same route but since the Steam community is a little bit hard with "unfinished" products...give rFactor 2 a little bit of more time and polishing in some areas (graphical ones like rain effect and some other "minor" but still yet to finish) and then release it there. For updates it will be very welcome and to include all the content in one package as well. (for some people this can be an issue believe it or not)

Thank you ISI! :cool:

11. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

I gotta say while personally I dislike Steam I'm very impressed by the way you are going about integrating it, keeping both options for customer base (compatible with each other), adding features where possible... perfect way of doing it.

12. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

On historic retail version I use to keep several installs (for GTS, road cars, Formulas, etc), how demanding would be do the same with Steam version?

I'm planning to buy the Steam version because the multiple controls support, it's a nightmare use Joytokey.

13. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

So, how do I use my steam key? I already have the game installed for years, Do I have to download it again through steam to use the key?

14. Woodee

Woodee Registered

filled in the form because I have no access to the email address I used when I ordered, how long does it take to come through?

15. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

You first need to make an account on Steam and install the Steam Client. When you have that running, from the menu choose Games / Activate a product on Steam... and follow the steps in the wizard that appears. One of the steps is filling in the key you received. Once that's done, rFactor is in your library and you can install it. And yes, that means downloading it again.

16. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

It is possible to have multiple installs with Steam, but you have to set it up a bit differently. I wrote a guide that is in the community hub on Steam. This direct link should take you there: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=402188900

17. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

Thanks, I already have Steam installed. Just didn't have any idea how to add rfactor to it. Thanks again

18. raul999

raul999 Registered

Hello, what stats and achievements manages rfactor and steam? And How to see the stats? Thanks

19. lc_lol

lc_lol Registered

Hi !

I've had problems trying to use the form for getting steam key from my rfactor original order (the IMA was not recognized), so I've used the second form, it was on friday evening, and still no news. I know, I'm impatient, and the weekend's been here, but can I expect a rapid answear ? Thanks a lot !

20. lc_lol

lc_lol Registered

up ! up !

ISI ?! Anybody there ???