rFactor 3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vegaguy5555, Sep 24, 2017.

1. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

I know the guys at Studio-397 have their hands full right now but I just wanted to take a survey of how many of us are interested.

In light of Project Cars 2 similarities to rF2 suggests interest in the general sim public. If PC2 makes money, maybe Studio-397 should consider making the real thing.... rFactor 3?

I would pre-order now as a kind of a 'kick starter' if it helps get the ball rolling.

How many of you guys feel the same?

ECAR_Tracks likes this.
  2. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

An interesting idea, but one that could go either way. Thoughts of iRacing 2 spring to mind.

I do wonder if it would have been easier to strip back the game and rework the engine rather than correct many of the things that are missing or badly implemented, but I assume that would cost a lot more also.

Ultimately of course, rFactor 2 wont be around forever neither will iRacing, Project Cars or any of the others for that matter.
    They will all succeed or fail or morph into something else under a new name.

My guess is all options were looked at by ISI and S397 and this was the one that made commercial sense, because of course, more than anything, rFactor 2 needs to be profitable.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    vegaguy5555 likes this.
  3. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Very true. But SMS/PC2 are changing the rules/sim market. And they are doing it with rF2 characteristics, which only, in the end, helps S397 as a verification.

4. dadaboomda

dadaboomda Registered

Why not, but this is not necessarily what to do.

I think we should stay on RF2 but with more intelligent PRIORITIES (according to me of course).

Priority 1: improve the physics and the FFB to CONTINUE to be far ahead of the competition.

Priority 2: strongly accelerate the creation of very high quality cars that even the best modders will have difficulty to equalize.

Priority 3: Improve algorithms such as real road or rain. VERY IMPORTANT to create an algorithm to manage the aquaplanning.

Priority 4: Improve shadows that are horrible (quality, LOD distance, performance).

Low Priority: .......... the UI ........... This is my opinion

EDIT
    and ONLY improve graphics by actually optimizing performance. Everyone does not have a 1080 gtx ....

Tommy2Fingers, Jon, tpw and 1 other person like this.
  5. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

No offense intended but it sounds like rF3 but in your scenario the guys don't get paid which makes it a lot slower posses.

I would guess the only reason rF3 is a dream right now is lack of funds to do it.

I'm sure there is two 'dollar amounts' that would make it start tomorrow. The first: start up capital and the second: will anyone buy it?

I am starting to think rFactor is the bigger dog on the block then we may have first thought.

Am I really saying we (rF2 fans) are not conceited enough?:oops:

6. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

As stated before, all licenses are/were for rf2, so everything would have to be re-negotiated.

Nimugp likes this.
  7. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

Ok but I still don't understand. How did sms re-negotiate for PC2 and even add brands?

I don't mean to be rude I would like to see you guys get paid and have a finished product from here instead of Pcars. No offense to sms.

I bought rFactor and rF2 years ago and forgot about it until S397 reminded me of it so it feels like I'm expecting all this for free.

Sorry for causing you a headache.

8. TheMattyOnline

TheMattyOnline Member

One of the major hurdles, and i'm not sure how this is to be resolved, is the fact that the rFactor series was designed as a modding platform.

In reality, for most people, the complexity of car physics/3d models/track building/texturing and many other things has reached a point where its not practical for a single person to do this anymore.
    S397, to compete with all the other sims out there, need selling points to attract customers, For example, licensed cars (see the new GT3 pack), licensed and laser scanned tracks (maybe just marketing, but if every one else is doing it then I think they have to).

Now, rf2 or rf3, I would personally be prepared to spend £100's on it for DLC and content. I did this for iracing, I would do it again for RF2/3.

Of course, a lot of people are not of this opinion and want it kept as an open platform that they can continue to make content for.
    Somehow, S397 need to square this circle so that everyone is happy !

Ernie, dadaboomda and vegaguy5555 like this.
  9. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

That's why there isn't paid DLC?

If that's the case why can't we donate money?

10. Coutie

Coutie Moderator Staff Member

SMS has a big name publisher behind them. They also had a more accessible game, consoles mean lot's of sales. Not a lot of people are into sim racing, or at least "hardcore" sim racing.

The Iron Wolf likes this.
  11. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

people would be suprised at how much code is used from the predecessor when companies release *2.3.4.5 version of the games.
    Basically most are just what you say rf3 would be,improved code and physics graphics etc but with the same core,just optimised and improved.
    Rf2 was a different beast from rf1,and we haven't seen the full potential of rf2 yet,to rewrite everything for a completely new rf product would be a waste of time,s397 definitely have their work cut out but let's see this iteration reach its potential before writing it off

12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It is difficult to balance the business model regarding simracing. Especially considering the beginnings of what it can be called hardcore simulation. Rfactor1 was the reference for several years with multiple free mods and tracks providing a lot of flexibility at a ridiculous cost. ISI never took the fair profit in terms of revenues for such a masterpiece.

Most of rF2 old users were also rF1 users and somehow expected the same stability regarding the platform. They were happy to pay 70€ or a yearly fee to support ISI before and S397 today in order to have the best simulation EXPERIENCE in the market.

In order to compete for a different market segment they dropped the prices to a similar low level which bases profit on a big number of copies sold. However, they didn't realize that many AC fans just want an eye candy and easy to control racing platform to be run smoothly on a normal computer that a teenager can afford. However they didn't make the changes to adapt their product to the attract or maintain that market segment.

Whoever that wants hardcore simulation that is expending thousands of euros in hardware can pay a lot more than actual ridiculous price which cannot properly fund S397.

I am of the opinion that financial reasons are driving s397 short term Roadmap strategy with a car team in a hurry to provide 4 cars in a week time. Probably with almost no time to properly test and debug.

I would suggest S397 to clearly define what they want rF2 to be. If in some time you need money. Ask us for it. Make a crowdfunding campaign based on the resources you would need to accomplish such a goal. We are here to support. Don't let money urgency drive your steps.

zzigg, vegaguy5555 and patchedupdemon like this.
  13. Emery

Emery Registered

SMS likely didn't have to renegotiate anything because they weren't sold to another studio. S397 inherited the existing licenses from ISI, but the rights to those licenses disappear if they're used in a product other than rF2.

Adding brands for licensed content is just normal business, with all the studios constantly getting new licenses (e.g. rF2 has added McLaren & Radical & Tatus this year; I believe Bentley was an existing license).

vegaguy5555 likes this.
  14. stonec

stonec Registered

I don't know if SMS had to re-negotiate licenses or not, but it doesn't change the fact that SMS is a studio of ca. 100 developers, while S397 have about 10, so they are not operating with the same resources. What this also means is that should they create a new game like rF3, they wouldn't deliver it nearly as quickly as SMS. It took ISI 5 years to create rF2 and Kunos around 3 years to get AC into a stable release, so that's the timeline we are aiming at if they started building rF3 today. Also I reckon having read from some Q&A that S397 actually considered a brand new graphics engine like the Unreal engine, but the conclusion was it would take much longer to do it that way than working on existing engine.

vegaguy5555 and Ho3n3r like this.
  15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

laser scanned track pack -I'll buy ...don't care if its for rfactor2 or rfactor3

if its within a rfactor3 package then I'll buy that to no probs, I just want quality laser tracks yes please thanks

16. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I for one would gladly participate in a crowd funding campaign to enable s397 to make rf2 reach its full potential,I would even contribute to one for a laser scanner for Adrian as a Christmas present

vegaguy5555 and Adrianstealth like this.
  17. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

I'm sorry but is this question serious?
    You pay for them (licenses) again and it will be in your game again if you are releasing a new one. That's why you paid again for PC2.
    You may try to get your licenses moved to a new game, but if it's a new thing that will be sold and not given for free to owners of a previous game (like Stock Car Extreme -> Automobilista) it's very unlikely you'll renegotiate anything, you show the money and they show you the papers lol :D

18. bwana

bwana Registered

What if ISI's 'Not. rf3' is actually a game more aligned to PC2 ,AC. Utilising the already class leading physics and FFB of rf2 ? Hmmm

dadaboomda likes this.
  19. ECAR_Tracks

ECAR_Tracks Registered

I'm tired of hot lap simulators. Currently I am running Automobilista very often due its complete series approach (all cars and oficial tracks from a real championship, correct drivers names baring their talent filed). GTR 2 was a winner because it was a complete serie simulator (FIA-GT). Now look at current rF2 status. Instead of a complete series they announced another random car (Tattoo). It's hard to be happy like this. Let alone Asseto Corsa in this regard, it's not only a hot lap simulators but a static one.

I'm being honest here. I race go Karts every week in the same track, and each day the challenge is different. The track is immensely different from one day to the next depending on the time of day, weather, track usage, etc. Racing is dynamic and Project Cars successfully realised that. Rf2 has a excellent start up position thank to real road, weather and time lapse. It's up to 397 studios to take advantage from those.

20. vegaguy5555

vegaguy5555 Registered

How about we vote with money. Set up say..... ten most wanted in rF2 to start and put a price on each one. Make sure S397 is making money and you guys are all getting paid. Let us vote as many times or as much as we want and when the first one is paid in full.... do it.

I know something like a laser scanned Nordschleife will be one of the more expensive ones but what ever it is, it is. Put a price on it and let us decide.

This is my only hobby and I don't expect you guys to work for free to finish rF2 and don't want to wait for years so I am willing to put my money were my mouth is.

I paid $100 for PC2. I would be happy to pay more than that for a polished rF2.

Is something like this doable?

GuitarTech likes this.