rFactor 2 works in linux via Steam Play

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by leillo1975, Aug 23, 2018.

1. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

rFactor 2 works now in Linux with the new Steam Play (Proton), but you must to force the game to work in 32bits in the settings of the launcher:

If you can't go settings in launcher, restart Steam in disconected mode and execute the game. Mark the checkbox to force the game to run in 32 bits mode, and then set Steam in connected mode again.

The game hasn't Force Feedback support in my G27 (other games like Project Cars in Steam Play have it)

Attached Files:

2. thmxvr

thmxvr Registered

I am still downloading to do the test myself. I got excited and ready to re-format/re-partition some of my drives and move my whole steam library to Linux. But this FFB is a bitch. I think wine supports FFB only if the game use the DirectInput API

leillo1975 likes this.
  3. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

Force Feedback in simulation games is very, very important, and yes, in Wine (aka Proton) is supported in Logitech Wheels. I can enjoy it with Project Cars, Live for Speed and iRacing (some months ago)

4. thmxvr

thmxvr Registered

I see you opened a issue already, I am putting a link to it here.
    https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/245

If any studio 397 developer with access to the source could comment there, on what back-end API they use and what tests they do to check if the wheel supports FFB; this would be of great help to patch wine/proton and get this working.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
    Guimengo likes this.
  5. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

Excellent idea, perhaps studio-397 devs could help....

Guimengo likes this.
  6. hoover

hoover Registered

That's awesome news folks, thanks for reporting back. I was going to try running rf2 on Steam / Linux after listening to the recent Ubuntu podcast episode. I do hope some of the devs pick this up and help valve to implement proper FF support. I'm on a T500RS myself so I guess I'll have to wait a little longer.

All the best, Uwe

7. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Does this work for server instances as well and does the server also have to run in 32 bit modus?

8. hoover

hoover Registered

The dedicated server already works fine using a recent WINE version (also in 64bit).

Cheers, Uwe

9. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

It has nothing to do with rFactor2, but if you have a Logitech steering wheel, in a community of Linux players I belong, a user have have created a utility to easily change the steering wheel degrees. You can find it here:
    https://gitlab.com/OdinTdh/pyLinuxWheel

10. hoover

hoover Registered

We have a little Linux community of T500 users as well, a guy managed to intialize the wheel so that the pedals are usable in x-plane on Linux, for instance. I don't think FFB works yet but it's been a long time since I checked the state of the drivers.

Cheers, Uwe

11. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

12. hoover

hoover Registered

Yep, that's the one I was on about.

All the best, Uwe

13. UsedMomo

UsedMomo Registered

There are numerous, longstanding issues in the native Windows version that S397 hasn't addressed, and never will. So don't get your hopes up about a fully-functional Linux option.

I too run Linux and only use Windows for sims. But the best way to support the growth of Linux is to support native projects for it. Trying to run non-native games just encourages developers to stick with the monopoly.

14. hoover

hoover Registered

No worries, I'm already supporting native Linux titles.
    Cheers, Uwe

15. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

Obviously, a native port is always better, but I think that a little effort of devs helping Valve to give a decent support with Steam Play is welcomed, like investigate why not run Force Feedback on this game, or the 64 bits version. I don't know if you run rf2, but the game is perfectly playable at the moment, except for previous failures. Better this than nothing...

16. hoover

hoover Registered

Sure, I've been running rfactor and rf2 for nearly two decades now (and basically every ISI title before that starting with that weird dos-only Viper Challenge (?) game :))

I have a few weeks off starting Friday so I'll definitely give rf2 on Linux a spin. I hope the devs will see the light soon... rf2 and Falcon BMS are the only titles remaining requiring me to keep that win7 partition, and Falcon BMS already runs rather well on Wine, so there... :)
    All the best, Uwe

17. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

Same as me, I have a Windows partition to play GTAV, Fallout 4, rFactor 2, Project Cars and Assetto Corsa. Now, with Steam Play I don't need to switch to Windows to play GTAV, Fallout 4 and Project Cars....

18. Akela_DE

Akela_DE Registered

Would love that too, but performance is already bad with win10. Fallout 4 is working but not really flowing and it was a pain to get the sound working.
    Cannot try any Sim because without FFB, no fun. Thrustmaster T500, even American Truck Sim is not funny without FFB.
    How is GTAV running ?

19. leillo1975

leillo1975 Registered

About Fallout... I know that this game is close to work properly (about sound) in the following versions of Proton.
    About Your wheel, there are not force feedback support for Thrustmaster at the moment
    About GTA, It works pretty well but need to make some tweaks

20. FuNK!

FuNK! Registered

I don't know if this is only new for me, and I don't know if this is the right thread to post it.
    Anyway, in case someone wants to run rF2 in 64bit mode instead of 32bit (on 32bit the game runs out of memory really quickly), you should try the d3dcompiler_32.dll and d3dcompiler_47.dll from the following link. Simply put these into in the bin64 folder and replace the ones that are already in there. Of course you want to make backups of both original files ;)

https://github.com/samhocevar/d3d4linux

At least for me rF2 now starts in 64bit and I finally don't have any crashes because of memory shortage :cool:

leillo1975 likes this.