rFactor 2 WIP HDR comparison screenshots

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Sep 23, 2011.

1. sg333

sg333 Registered

I think we need a video of HDR because the screenshot discussion isnt going anywhere :D

2. marcatore

marcatore Registered

another question about HDR
    Is it a post effect like a level adjustment layer (overall the rendering layers)from an 8bit color process (shaders and lighting sources) or all the calculations are made in a full float precision and with a virtual camera where you can set your colormapping to have a good control for the contrast highlights/shadows?

if it's not clear you should think how renderers work.
    I know it's different a renderer from a realtime engine but it's a good example of a real HDR processing and HDRi is actually a High Dynamic Range image so if the range it's not so wide, the dynamic of the variations it's not so high and with a 8 bit numbers you can't have an high dynamic.

I have another question.
    With the HDR in rF2 is it possible to "simulate" the retina inertia when you move quickly from an enlighted zone to a dark one? Think about when you are in a tunnel and in a full sun day you exit from the tunnel and for a second your eyes are "exposed" to the tunnel lighting.

As someone wrote, I think a good video can clear the troubles.

Thanks in advance.

3. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

marcatore just asked a fantastic question. I hope someone from ISI can give us a detailed answer.

4. shum94

shum94 Registered

+1

3 laps, time scale x30 should show hdr nicely.

5. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Most likely it's gonna be standard HDR implementation running on 16-bit floats (64-bit color) and with the inertia you're asking about.

Full floats (128-bit color) are really not necessary.

6. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I would like to see it implemented

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Guys! It's adjustable! You can turn it off completely if you want!

How the heck do we get people complaining about optional, adjustable features? If you don't like how it looks, change it! If you want it more pronounced, go ahead and do that! Seems like some people would be happier with fewer options...

8. sg333

sg333 Registered

Well ISI sure seem to be pushing the HDR feature.

9. David G Fisher

David G Fisher Registered

Well said Lazza. It's ADJUSTABLE. Can't some of you just enjoy the screenshots we are now getting, and REMEMBER they are WIP! rF2 is going to be here very, very soon. ISI have been releasing high quality auto simulators for quite a few years now. Nitpicking WIP screenshots isn't going to help them. Relax....lighten up...take a breath....go outside, and have some damn patience.

10. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

I'm sure that ISI appreciates most of the feedback and questions as long as we're not being hyper-critical like shum94.

11. shum94

shum94 Registered

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I'd call it "showing".

13. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I appreciate him, even if I have to repeat myself a lot or force myself not to reply sometimes. ;) If he was that much of an issue he wouldn't be here anymore. He's done nothing that annoys us much, nobody has. The only issue is calling names (fanboys, etc). Anybody can say what they want about us really - we try not to take it personal, you just have to try to be nice to each other. :)

14. theother5

theother5 Registered

Nice reply .... it's appreciated to read this Tim. Were I in your position, I can only hope I would have the sense to reply similarly.

15. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Same method as before, though I only used 50% this time. And the first image doesn't line up perfectly (someone must have moved the camera between shots) so I aligned both images to the car.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2011
  16. Fabio Pittol

Fabio Pittol Registered

Generally there's no such space (look at the picture below). What really looks weird on that screenshot is that the wheel should be a little bit more inside. In real life, a wheel in that position would have a tire cut on the first corner.

[​IMG]

17. DeDios

DeDios Registered

18. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

I know that, I've just made a joke trying to say he was particulaty spot on.

19. Beemer

Beemer Registered

if look McLaren777's edited hdr 50% overlay shot's...at the day time shot , sky could be a lot brighter..and shadows should be a lot darker..compared to Fabio's
    real Clio shot under car shadow..

edit:..i've took couple shot's from rF1 just to compare and to see what i mean with darker shadows..

[​IMG][/url][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/url][/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2011
  20. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I really can't see a reason to compare rf2 hdr shots to photos.
    First of all, rF2 should simulate of what human see. In most cases, reaction on powerful sunlight - which cannot be simulated by light emmited by monitors.
    Second, photos are taken using different camera settings (exposition time, light sensitivity etc). You may get very constrast photos as well as more plain from the same scene using various settings. Moreover cameras may set some settings in relation what is selected as reference area (main part of photo).
    More... you are comparing different weather conditions and different daytimes.