rFactor 2 WIP HDR comparison screenshots

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Sep 23, 2011.

1. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

Congrats ISI, great stuff indeed!!!
    Yamauchi and Poliphony would be green of envy ;)

rFactor2 The Real Console-Killer Simulator. :cool:

2. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

I see some env reflections on the lower parts of the body, but as Maxym noticed earlier, there might/should also be some fresnel visible, especialy on the roof (as for it we have very high angles). Any chance to have a comment from the devs on that?

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

It's an interesting one, I'm thinking the same about the following car and building in the mirror in the first shot; they should be reflecting the sunlight pretty well, but also you're looking at the mirror with the sun in your eyes, so the whole thing should look dimmer than if you actually turned around.

4. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

I know I will linger again... but mirror view shouldn't be darkened since cockpit is (check light direction!). Do not forget about it tweaking the engine.[/QUOTE]

Good spot. You're right. They are exposed to the light on the faces of the objects behind the car. Obviously though everything should be slightly darker due to the fact your iris closes when looking at the sun, but possibly not that much. I do not believe they are done with mirrors, however.

5. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Thanks for screenshots Tim.

I've been wondering how your HDR implementation will look like - I was especially curious if you will have non-linear exposition. Looking at screenshots I think you haven't goten there yet :)

Here's a quick comparison between "classic" linear rendering and non-linear exposition function from program called Terragen:

[​IMG]

The thing is - you can output true-to-life values onto screen and end up with weird looking image. That greenish stripe on the sky in left image is a very good example. Blue and green components are allready at 255 and red color component is trying to catch-up with them. In the meantime color tone changes because green and blue cannot get any higher and red is increasing.

With non linear exposition this is not clearily visible, bacause colors "slow down" before reaching 255.

Side effect of non-linear exposition is lesser saturation of image. Looking at WIP screenshots I'd say you have well-saturated textures that would make a perfect match with a good non-linear exposition function.
    Note that some people have also mentioned that WIP images look over-saturated or "cartoonish".

I hope you'll find my feedback usefull. Keep up the good work guys :)

6. THUNDERbreaks

THUNDERbreaks Registered

2 questions, on this photo http://rfactor.net/web/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/rFactor_2_HDR_23.jpg I see something on the front left and rear tyre, what is it? the heat fx?

And on this one http://rfactor.net/web/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/rFactor_2_HDR_20.jpg the contrast light fx on the left arm is too heavy, can they smooth it? And can they add a more conventional set of gloves on the intiail release? Not a big fan of the skeleton glooves to be honest, I'm not saying you have to remove it just add something like alpinestars or similar and let us decide (high res please as well the racing suite) ;)

7. sg333

sg333 Registered

8. 88mphTim

Yes.

The gloves are supposed to be reflective I think.

9. 88mphTim

It's real. Portugal.

10. adamfarmer

adamfarmer Registered

I've been itching for some rF2 news for the last week so it's fantastic to see these screenshots. Many thanks Tim!

11. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Estoril, last corner? :)

12. F1lover

F1lover Registered

1 Question.. when are you guys ready to take my MONEY!!!!

13. surfboyrio

surfboyrio Registered

Spot on!

The effects looks promising!

14. [NAR]Steve

[NAR]Steve Registered

Does HDR make performance take a hit FPS wise? A little, a lot? Looks fantastic by the way !!!

15. Radar

Radar Registered

You mention this Tim.

How much adjustment can / will be made possible ? Sure it's a great feature to increase or decrease but if the value decreases too much for an individual player then won't they have a better advantage visually because they will be able to see things further down the track more clearly, or even a brake marker in the shadows ?

I'd like to see it fixed (not user changeable) and everyone on the same playing field. Stops arguments on who is 'cheating' (I don't mean cheating in that sense). I mean using the games features to give them the upper hand, someone that would prefer a more real game over someone who just wants to win.

All I see is a feature that won't be used with most people turning it down to it's lowest setting to give themselves some advantage where possible.

Or like Fixed views on the server, this could also be a setting on the server that will override the users preferences ?? Make it adjustable sure but in a community I'm sure everyone within could decide what is best for them and fix it at that level.

This would be a much preferred setting if you plan on putting it in the game. Puts everyone on the same playing field.

16. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

agree

17. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

This one is probably my favourite. I'd be really, really fine with graphics like in this shot for the final version.

The depth of the image greatly increases with the shown effects. The grandstand in the background, the tents, signs next to the track... Everything looks a lot more vivid. I especially love the shining fence, now it actually looks like a metal material. :)

But I got one question: I can see a lot small shadows on the tarmac with HDR on. I guess there are three-dimensional microbumps in the track's surface, correct? :)

18. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Part 1.. God it looks good..

Part 2.. God I hope that is variable because when it's dark it's WAY dark.. Please tell me it has a few settings..

19. mclaren777

mclaren777 Registered

Any chance that we could also tweak the color temperature using an HDR profile?

(subtle animated GIF)
    [​IMG]

20. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

I like when games come with calibration screens. Most monitors are horribly calibrated.

http://zeospantera.imgur.com/all/