rFactor 2 WIP Drying line video time lapse

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Feb 6, 2011.

1. mianiak

mianiak Registered

WOW! Just WOW!! Definitely a jaw dropping moment. A very very very big congrats to the devs! [​IMG]

2. DeDios

DeDios Registered

Nice video :) i'd like to see some water puddles when tracks is drying, actually seems to be a lot uniform.

3. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

Nice video. Thx for the new preview.

4. sg333

sg333 Registered

Nice to see how complex the whole process is, definitely give us some insight into the level of thought that has gone into the game

I agree with the poster that said you should give us a video of a car driving in the wet

I think nearly everything we have seen is from Spa or Sepang :p

5. F1lover

F1lover Registered

BLOODY AWSOME... I SEE MARBLES at the end of the VID!!!! rFantastic 2

6. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

I also believe that the reflection is a little over the top Tim. The grandstand's reflection at 1:27 is perfect for a heavy wet condition I'd say, everything before that is a little too much. Like others already said, it looks too much like a mirror.
    But this whole technology, goddamn! :rolleyes:

I'm really impressed by those marbles. I think I've read sometime in an interview that cars will even carry dirt, grass and so on back onto the track. When you haven't attended some real 24h races you can't imagine how much rubber and dirt's lying on the outside of every sharp turn after a couple of hours. It's just mind blowing.

How were the marbles done in this WIP btw? By texture, particles? It looks pretty cool, but Youtube's and Facebook's compression still won't give away all the details, even on HD. :)

Another thing that came to my mind: What about the other way 'round? I mean, can the rain wash away the marbles and stuff, especially on sloped sections? :)

Greez Rob

7. raven

raven Registered

I hate you!

This vid doesn't make it easier to wait for the release!

;)

8. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Personally, I don't see much drying line there. At some point there is some white thing showing up (what's that? :p ) but best line in the corner exit (where the thing is most noticable for me) still is mirroring the tribunes, until the whole track almost dries out and the best line got more rubber on. Also, that might be because of tarmac color and shaders. As someone already said, it looks a bit like you put a glass (or ice) plate and spill water on it. Reflections are visible even when the whole tarmac already looks dry. I think, it should look more like this, while it's wet:

[​IMG]

On the picture, you can see wide drying line even though the track is still wet and in many places you can find rests of rain pools.

Also, at the begining of the rF2 WIP video, tarmac reflects nice blue sky, while on the track we see definatelly cloudy conditions ;-)

As for moving cloud shadows... there is not much of them that clearly visible (I'm talking about local changes within half a minute and faster). One noticable is at 1:37, but it looks like it is global (the whole scene darkens - on the left hill, on the track in front of the camera and further away on the right). Now, take a look at this video (I speed it up by 8 times):

FIA GT Spa 2009 cloud shadows

If rFactor 2 will be simulating local shadows from moving clouds, then maybe that kind of video could show it better? :)

EDIT:

Good questions!

EDIT2:

Couldn't resist ;-)

Tyre marks on wet surface, rain pools... it would be nice to have them. Just take a look at that :)

FIA GT Spa wet

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2011
  9. David Greco

David Greco Registered

just make it like GP4, was the best on it :D

10. DeDios

DeDios Registered

:D +1

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Another thing to remember: In rain, reflection should be distorted by drops falling down, so there should be no such 'perfect' mirror effect.

And still the same question: What Gijon takled about in interview 2 years ago, since this effect is WIP today?

12. Kiro

Kiro Registered

The rain itself looks like its only falling right in front of the camera.
    Like a layer that was added as an afterthought.

13. sg333

sg333 Registered

Have to admit i thought that aswell. I guess thats a software limitation though, something like that must be incredibly difficult to achieve
    I'd like to see an incar video of rain on a windshield, we already saw an open wheel helmet view a while back which looked good.

Overall it seems we are still quite a while away from release

14. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

I love it! It's really nice to see things are moving forward. Keep the development news coming! :D

15. CiuppiTrulli

CiuppiTrulli Registered

exactly what I noticed too many reflections. In the video, the track is more like a lake rather than asphalt to beat the rain

16. marcocale

marcocale Registered

Same impression for me. Do you think will be possible to have water puddles with aquaplaning effect? I think it' a very important effect to have a realistic sense of driving on the wet.

By the way great work till now!

17. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

If you stood in front of a mirror for an hour, would the reflection move much? :)

18. WiX

WiX Registered

Lets at least reserve some CPU power for the physics ;-)

19. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

I'm totally there with LesiU.

First of all - it's a mistake to think that adding more reflection will make road look more wet. If there's water standing on the road, even 1mm of it - you have reflection and that's it. Track doesn't get more shiny, no matter if there's 1mm of water or 5cm of water.

Then, there's wet track but with no water standing on top of it - this one will have very blurry reflection and be darker than dry road.

What I see on this WIP movie is something else, something completely different to reality. That's why I'm assuming that real purpose of this movie was to show how drying line "works", not how it looks :)

No, it's not that difficult and there are definitely no limitations preventing that.

It's actually a myth. that good visuals are in conflict with good physics or gameplay. With a reasonably well written engine even single-core CPU will have a lot of free time while GPU is working.

The only reason why would anybody have to choose between physics and visuals is manpower of company / programmer's experience / release date restrictions. In ISI's case I think it's more down to what kind of projects they usually do. They're not strictly game developers and their products are not valued for having good visuals.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2011
  20. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Yup. In this day and age the average PC is very capable of both physics AND graphics. That thought is a carry over from the Pentium I or perhaps Pentium II days I think.