Rfactor 2 vs Iracing vs CARS- a newbs perspective

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by rss334, Aug 13, 2012.

1. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Sorry for dumb question but why is Simbin doing race room for free? What's in it for them? Pay for add ons? Advertising?

2. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

Makes sense and sounds interesting b/c I'm usually sweating and tired after intense online racing. Might be nice to relax some in between races LOL or maybe even talk to my wife or kids or go to the bathroom or shower LOL

3. jtbo

jtbo Registered

If kids still know who you are and why you are at the house, then you need to sim race more, rule of thumb ;)

4. Kknorpp001

Kknorpp001 Banned

lol

5. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

IMHO, the Clio is one of the few cars I've been enjoying in sims. Hmm, the tires sound does not bother me, actually I think its not bad at all. Are we sure that we are hearing the same sound? I'll do a little video tonight so that we confirm.

The Osella and Abart in nKpro are another 2 that I love. I think they are awesome. Pity there is never anyone online for these cars. In rF1, there are a few good ones too (BMW E21!).

The Mustang in iRacing is fun to drive, but it feels like a tank! The problem is that I am 4 seconds slower than others : )_ I used to like the Jetta in iRacing, but now I am sick of it as I think it drives like 5h!t.

LFS (Live For Speed) was my top sim up to a year ago. All my mates are still there :( I think its a classic now. That was an awesome sim, but the time for it is over...It got too boring too.

Game Stock 2012....I got the demo, I could not get the camaro cockpit to show and the engine sound was not working....weird. I was disappointed with this and just exited. I'll surely give it another try with the mini comes out.

For some reason, I do not want to give up on pCars. Yesterday I went on the forum and stayed reading a bit. In the physics section, there were lots of 'complaints', suggestions and tips...all referring to better physics, so, I have a feeling that one day the physics will not be that bad. Then I went a bit around with Asano X4 Touring (Audi A4 DTM), set the time for dawn....hehe, have to stay the graphics, the sun setting down, the reflections, it was amazing. And the car was not handling very badly. I wont give up on this one, cause there is definitely potential, fingers crossed!

As for Asetto Corsa....why would they develop a sim with worse physics then nkPro!!!??? Yeah, you tell me so that they hit better masses and sell more? Maybe. Hope not. I think they are more intelligent than that and will have 'arcade' and sim options! I think they did their homework well, I think that many people will be happy. But, let's wait and see :)

Then again, there were some online yesterday saying how much they hate the clios! Fact is that every one of us is different, we like different things so the best would be if you try it yourself and judge yourself. Opinion of others might not count for you.

6. F2Chump

F2Chump Registered

It's physical configuration is such that it drives well as it sticks and doesn't move about as much, as such, you don't notice the spongee center mounted feel of it.
    It's amazing how enticing nice GFX are....

7. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Clios, yeah, well, hmm, I'm sure that it is nice car and all that, but it is FWD and it is modern one, which makes it somehow dull, it is probably that damping setup, but it makes car just feel like it probably is in reality, dull, for me.

I have driven many modern cars in reality and they also have felt rather dull, they kind of remove all that rolling and weight throwing from driving which I consider to be fun part.

I don't know how Mustang is in iRacing, but it is bit of heavy side and especially as it has lot of weight at front it is bit of tank like, not very fast to switch direction etc.

Springs in mustang are surprisingly stiff, but because of motion ratio wheel rates are quite soft which makes it even more tank like, one should not be able to drive car around corners, but he should drive mass around corners in those. But really I have no idea how iRacing has implemented that one.

I'm working on 67 Firebird at the moment which is close to Mustang in many ways, it does feel a tank after driving F1 car, but when you first drive Lincoln Mark V and then drive Firebird, it is not tank at all, even it is bit over 1600kg with driver and has CG height above 0.5m from ground, but compare that to over 5 meters long 2 ton car that rides on soft sponges and it is nimble sports car ;)

Anyone not knowing, Lincoln has soft suspension even when compared to average old american boats, it is such suspension that you can drive over pothole without noticing pothole being there, similar to older Cadillacs etc. There is nothing sporty, well except car has 2 doors, in Finland press makes car being sport model always when it has only 2 or 3 doors, silly.

Anyway, it is not necessarily bad thing that car feels like a tank in sim, some cars really are bit like so and some others a lot more like so, but with appropriate updates to suspension car can be made lot less tank like, it is then what kind of car it tries to be, not modified street car or race modified one?

8. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

True, RWD are more fun, as you need more skill and more input to go fast. The reason why I like FWD is because I can go very fast with them. For example, with the clio's, I feel that I can compete with the top fast guys (just maybe .5 slower at times). This gives me satisfaction and it's more fun to me!

With RWD, I am dead slow! Depending on the car....the faster the car, the slower I am. On average 3 to 4 seconds slower. I struggle with braking and getting out of corners fast.

Is it because I am a noob? Or maybe not enough skills? Or mabye cause I am a **** driver?....then why with FWD I am one of the fastest and many are slow with FWD?

Pity, cause most cars are RWD and I am at a big loss. It' something that I have struggled with for many years. :(

9. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Sorry but I have got to say this, heheh. I am a trucker in real life and the last thing doing that is, is relaxing :)

If they were ever to make a realistic trucking sim, you would have a lot of stuff to deal with. People driving too fast for conditions, people texting while driving, reading while driving, putting on makeup while driving, screaming at the kids, and all of those are without paying any attention to what is going on around them while doing it.

Then you have to put up with people going too slow in the lanes you are legally allowed to drive in, people cutting you off constantly, people making rude gestures if they are upset with how you are driving, the list goes on and on.

Then you would be required to drive the thing for anywhere from 8 to 11 hours a day, every day of the week for 2 months without a break, eat lousy food and sleep in the heat, cold and humidity unless you are in a state that allows engines to be run longer than 5 minutes.

I don't think many would buy such a sim :)

10. Armando

Armando Registered

They are going to charge for content.
    I guess they will include some free tracks and cars, and the rest will be paid.

11. FONismo

FONismo Registered

Yeah but like i say the fact Bram and WIX are both saying don't worry, i'm sure it's gonna be brilliant. I think i was just a little surprised more than anything at just how dynamic it all looked in comparison to NKP more than anything. All i know is with that and rF2, my sim life is well and truly catered for in the future. By the sounds of things RaceRoom looks like it's gonna be point to point and time trial racing rather than and all out racing sim. I spose we will learn more in the coming days with that sim, it looked great though whatever it is and sounded fantastic.

12. TonyRickard

TonyRickard Registered

No but such a sim should be a mandatory part of driver training :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2012
  13. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Hehehe, People don't want to learn the truth, they want to learn to direct a 1 ton vehicle at traffic and hope they can come out the other side still alive and with daddy's car unscratched, :)

I have always felt that in order to get a license to drive a car, one must first put a year in driving a semi truck.

14. jtbo

jtbo Registered

You forgot no chance to shower for almost a week and other joys :D

For driving a truck alone so that you don't crash at 1st intersection one has a lot more going on than with small car, checking lot of mirrors, then there is that blond with mobile on ear that is in 'rush' who then drives over painted line and so much into intersection that you simply can't make that turn as front needs to go bit over another lane or one crashes to traffic lights etc. One of the most annoying are those that do not think, overtake you, then slam on brakes to protest that you go so slow, very much fun when road is icy.

But indeed worse things are those working times and how you really can't have lot of own life because shift starts so soon after last ended, it is totally different from office hours.

And then waiting, man was that boring, waiting loader guy, waiting to unload etc.

I doubt that fully realistic sim of such would indeed sell, but in game it is so different, just drive 15minutes and you are there, bling, instantly unloaded ;D

That driving part is actually quite nice on that job, but those other things killed my interest to do that job.

15. jtbo

jtbo Registered

Preferrably in Vietnam capital city or at India, anyone wanting to drive after that would be a good driver for sure, also there would be 99.99% less drivers on road ;D

In those places patience is truly a virtue, also one either learns to read traffic or will crash, there are so many people on road that it changes way one thinks about traffic, there is no me on those roads.

16. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Those places are easy jtbo, try driving in LA, San Francisco, New York, Chicago, those areas will test your skill and will :) With the laws the way they currently are, we are only allowed to drive for a total of 11 hours a day, 70 hours in any 8 day period. That 70 hours also includes times when you are standing still but still "on the clock". You have to keep log books of your driving and they have to be accurate. You are only allowed to be "on duty" for a maximum of 14 hours in a given day, and that is consecutive hours. So if you start your day at 0400 in the morning, you can drive or working until 1800 and then you have to shut down for at least 10 hours. Of those 10 hours, you need to sleep for at least 6 consecutive hours without interruption.

My typical day when I drove over the road was get up and start driving at 0430, don't stop at all for anything for 10 hours and shut down till the following morning and do it all again. If I was able to reach my destination before that 10 hours I then had to hope that the loader or unloader was quick otherwise I might have to camp out in their parking lot for the night. I have had instances where I arrived at a shipper at 0730 and was backed up to a loading dock at that time. The warehouse took until 2400 to finish loading me. Those were the painful days as I get paid by the mile, not by the hour, so I made no money that day.

Guess we should stop talking about trucking in this thread though, hehe, I think we hijacked it enough :)

17. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

Are you serioys??? My wife in a truck for a year??? Ill be in jail for debts the following thirty years!!!

(on the other hand, traffic around our house will dissapear for a looong time)

18. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

There´s a "thing" called Brasil wich any truck driver could say that all what you´re doing is relaxing and you text sounds like heaven.

19. 1959nikos

1959nikos Registered

I had a friend who lived for some time in Brasil in the 80s and he was talking about endless roads, no tarmac, wide and straight for hundreds of km, joining cities and virgin jungle all around.
    He was saying that busses didnt even stop for a tyre change, somehow there was an automatic system...
    Was any of this true?

He said also that because of the monstrous long distances, only decent way to travel was the aeroplane...

20. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

He must take the Transamazonica. Was a road build by militars aiming colonize the north part of country. Now we have Manaus and Belem but the road fall apart.
    That busses didn´t stop no for fancy automatic system. Its because assaults.
    Nowadays things are better after 10 years of Lula but in someway still scary as hell like i said about truck drivers condition. I could say all of them take pills to beat their schedule, but not to generalizated i will say 99%. Very danger, but they have no choice to keep theirs job. Its a really shame for us.