rFactor 2 Track Progress -- Round 2

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Michael Juliano, Mar 25, 2011.

1. YoShImUrA

YoShImUrA Registered

I'll just leave it as it is. If you're too lazy to type "ISI_BABYFACTORY" and complain about it you should be consistently lazy to rant about it. If you are able to rant about it without being able to do type the thingy in rF, then, I'm sorry, but you need to change your focus in life. :cool:

2. Lenniepen

Lenniepen Registered

I think some sort of money/experience points could be nice, but what types of real racing works that way?
    You (as a driver, not a team) earn money and therefore can buy upgrades for your car?
    Some sort of driver career would be a better idea, but it's questionable if a race-sim needs something like this, it's more a thing of the arcade games.
    I suggest a driver career in which you start in the karts and have to win some races or end in the top of the championship to advance to the rTrainer, F3, GP2, F1.
    And in such career, you have to 'earn' a place in a better team, instead of buying upgrades for your car.

I'm curious to know what rFactor2 brings us in terms of raceweekend- and championship-immersion.

3. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

Well if the buy system will return in rFactor2, there should be a global switch for those who drive online to deactivate it completely. Bypassing and buying cars is simply an unnecessary/annoying/time consuming thing for those who drive online.
    And it's not like you only have to do it once... I for instance use a seperate installation of rFactor for every league and every big single event. It's safer this way knowing that certain mods can't stand each other and can cause online mismatches (which you'll never experience if you're only driving offline). At the moment I have 8 installations, constantly deleting the installations which aren't needed anymore.

Now some leagues are even using special Sync Tools so you don't have to download car updates, tracks etc. manually. Sometimes the file structure changes with an update - then you need to re-buy everything. Do that for 8 different series. Just imagine there wouldn't be the option to bypass it by editing or cheating...

It has nothing to do with being lazy. Sometimes you come home from work so late that you'll almost miss the qualifying session of your league race. Then you realize there was an update (updates happen more often than expected) - syncing eats up a couple of more minutes of your qualifying. And then you realize that you don't own your car anymore due to file structure changes. Damn! You either have to edit or cheat or whatever to get your car and upgrades back. Takes even more time. By the time you're ready the server switched to the warm up session - qualifying is over.

I hope you understand my point here as well. Maybe it gives you some sense of achievement offline, but for online racing it's simply an annoying feature. Making it available only for offline racing wouldn't work too, because sometimes the training servers are offline and you have to take your car for a spin in offline mode to prepare for the next race. So, in my opinion, I would be much happier without the buying system OR with the possibility to deactivate it altogether by changing a line in your *.PLR or something.

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Zeos, the third option, which already exists in rF1, is to have it there but easy to get around. People who want to have the single player experience are happy, people who just want to drive all the cars are happy because they can get around it.

It takes longer to set your controller signments than it does to start a practice session and use the built-in cheat. (same for downloading the mod, choosing a vehicle, tweaking audio to suit the mod's levels, ...)

You are not everyone; just because you can't see any point doesn't mean it should be removed.

That's not rFactor's fault, and it sounds like a flawed system. Your owned vehicles etc are in the .cch file, why does the syncing change that? There's the problem.

As for not just having to do it once, as above I'd suggest it takes a lot less time than getting and setting up the mod - especially when you're copying your base install for each mod.

5. buzard

buzard Registered

Have everything unlocked. And have a career mode where you have to unlock as you go. Why not have both?

6. Alesi

Alesi Registered

the game should count in profile how many laps u drive (or how many km drive). how many pole, 1-2-3 places? how many km in online and in offline something like this statistics, and on this stats u may granted access to other cars (series, mods)

7. Seven Smiles

Seven Smiles Registered

I share my single .plr file amongst all my installations by using and edited config.ini in each installation:
    Code:
    SaveDir=[I]<full path to the main install>[/I]\USERDATA\
    I share more than that, the whole thing looks like this
    Code:
    [COMPONENTS]
    GamesDir=RFM\
    SoundDir=[I]<full path to the main install>[/I]\GAMEDATA\SOUNDS\
    VehicleSound=GAMEDATA\SOUNDS\
    OptionsAnim=UIDATA\MOVIES\
    OptionsFlags=[I]<full path to the main install>[/I]\GAMEDATA\NATIONS\
    OptionsSounds=UIDATA\UISOUNDS\
    OSCFile=UI.OSC
    OptionsDir=UIDATA\
    ReplayDir=REPLAYFRIDGE\REPLAYS\
    ReplayPluginsDir=[I]<full path to the main install>[/I]\REPLAYFRIDGE\PLUGINS\
    PluginsDir=[I]<full path to the main install>[/I]\PLUGINS\
    MovieDir=[I]<full path to the main install>[/I]\MOVIEFILES\
    TracksDir=[I]<full path to the main install>[/I]\GAMEDATA\LOCATIONS\
    PitsDir=GAMEDATA\SCRIPTS\
    VehiclesDir=GAMEDATA\VEHICLES\
    DriversDir=GAMEDATA\TALENT\
    HelmetsDir=GAMEDATA\HELMETS\
    CommentaryDir=[I]<full path to the main install>[/I]\GAMEDATA\COMMENTARY\
    CommentaryFile=COMMENTARYENGLISH-USA.INI
    LogDir=[I]<full path to the main install>[/I]\USERDATA\LOG\
    SaveDir=[I]<full path to the main install>[/I]\USERDATA\
    MusicDir=MUSIC\
    CameraEditorResourceDir=DEVFILES\CAMED\
    ShadersDir=[I]<full path to the main install>[/I]\GAMEDATA\SHARED\
    ControllerDir=[I]<full path to the main install>[/I]\USERDATA\CONTROLLER\
    ScreenShotsDir=[I]<full path to the main install>[/I]\USERDATA\SCREENSHOTS\
    SupportDir=[I]<full path to the main install>[/I]\SUPPORT\
    LanguagesDir=[I]<full path to the main install>[/I]\SUPPORT\LANGUAGES\
    That way I share all tracks, set ups and plug ins across installs too. Another reason was to strip down the basic install, to 70 MB.

And then I wrote this to pick which mod in which install to run
    [​IMG]

But yes, "buying" the cars is daft and this shouldn't be necessary.

8. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 30, 2011
  9. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

OH.. BURNED>. Guess the cats out of the bag now ISI.. Just break it to us slowly..

10. theother5

theother5 Registered

This the a service advertisement .... where does this come into rFactor2, the game ???

11. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

ISI has two parts. One is the rFactor we all know the other is rFactorPro which is basically only for professional race teams to run their simulators on. More telemetry info and faster, live updating and custom coding from ISI (where they make the real money) etc etc.

So point is. Somewhere in the ISI mainframe lives laser scanned tracks of all shapes and sizes for the pro's to use.. But we have to make due because why would an F1 team buy the cow if the milk is free.

MILK ANALOGY FOR THE WIN!

12. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

13. DeDios

DeDios Registered

hahaha :D +1!
    Here, for example, i would pay a higher price just for it.

14. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Interesting. Things that it lists that rF1 doesn't have.

Gfx:
    "animated scenery, motion blur"

Sound:
    "reverb / echo from road-side structures, walls and bridges"

15. MarcG

MarcG Registered

I think its fair to say some of whats in rFactorPro will make it into RF2 IMO of course!

16. -VoltagE-

-VoltagE- Registered

I would like a career system where you first start with a small sponsor to buy a place in a team (for exaple kart team or stock car etc).

The better you perform the more sponsors you attract and finaly teams will start to offer deals and as such paying salary, performance bonuses etc.

This can have multiple dificulty levels, by changing the amount needed to impress the sponsors and teams.

You then could buy a WRC car or something else to take for a spin while being paid big money by Formula 1 team and your sponsors. :)

For online gaming simply allow usage of all car's and tracks.

There could be a third mode as an online career mode where all would compete from the place in the sun ie F1 pilot's place at the best team.

17. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

I do agree that such a career mode would be nice. However I think it should be no more then an extra mode, so that in other mode's you have access to all cars (If you just want to do a quick race in car 'X' you shouldn't have to unlock it in a mode or something.)

A couple of years ago 'Race Driver 1' had a pretty nice system in my opinion, although the physics were really bad, just because of that system I did enjoy the game :)

18. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

What I didn't like about the Race Driver series was you couldn't take any car (or truck) to any track.

19. DeDios

DeDios Registered

I offer 300 euros for some laser-scanned tracks! :D

20. Provost

Provost Registered

Safety Car / Pace Car

Hi,
    I just wanted to ask a few questions about safety / pace cars.

1. Will there be a command to bring out the safety car / pace car? e.g /SC or !caution

2. Will it be possible for the user to drive the pace / safety car as if they wear the pace / safety car?

3. would it be possible to have a separate program running to bring out the safety car and put lights on around the track like race control?

Kind Regards,
    J.Provost

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2011