rFactor 2 tires conversion.

Discussion in 'Car Modding' started by f14tmodding, May 5, 2018.

1. f14tmodding

f14tmodding Registered

Hello everybody, I write a post here because I'll need some help for tires modding. Indeed, I am actually reproducing a car for my final-year thesis, and I need it to have something complete and accurate. I chose some months ago to make it for rFactor 1, as it is the game I know the most, and it is clearly not a bad one too. But I am finding it hard to get some informations about the tires we use.

However, I found after some searches that those tires (exactly those I need) were already "built" for rFactor 2. So my question is simply : can I convert the rFactor 2 tires files (.tgm) in rFactor 1 files (.tbc) ? I am obviously not talking about a software to convert it, but do the values contained in one can work well in the other ? I must precise that this is a completely private project so converting the files is not really a big problem (and I will ask for it anyway).

I hope that someone will be able to give me an answer as I do not have a lot of time left to finish this project. Thanks in advance and see you soon.

2. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

I would think it would not be an easy task. The rF2 tire is a huge advance from rF1. It includes many features and code that are not possible to use in rF1. You 'could' take the basic data about the tire, but converting the tire file from rF2 backwards to rF1 seems to be like trying to put a V8 in a Horse-drawn Cart. Other sims also use the basic rF1 tire, Assetto Corso, GTR2 are a couple, although both would most likely contain some modification.

3. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

Yes you can use rfactor 2 TBC files and convert them to rf1..
    You need to remove extra data what is not used in rf1 engine(there is not much).You dont need any converter just notepad to do that.
    You will clearly see what data are extra in rf2 TBC file if you compare them with rf1
    rfactor 2 use TGM + TBC files for tires,TGM are for player & TBC for AI.
    rf1 use just TBC i guess you know that ;)
    cheers

4. f14tmodding

f14tmodding Registered

Hello, sorry to answer only now but I was busy...Thanks a lot for what you told me. The problem I could have is that I don't have the tbc file from rFactor 2, only the tgm. And when I open it, I have some different parts that I don't see in rFactor 1 : [QuasiStaticAnalysis], [Node] (from 0 to 76), [Realtime], etc. So almost nothing (and also for what they contain) that exists on rF1, and it seems strange.

After this I have [LookupV2] which is weirdly only composed of this kind of things : P=vE*.1>XjcI:VL`[>WV63;4GQ9>WV63bhRDCgI`L5`GG}~g<9{ko~=w\>X<<N@h,Jc>V}vkB1,eM>V}vkKHiQ[>Po. Maybe there's a problem with how Notepad opens it but it is really not what I am looking for obviously :D

And this is all I have for the tire I'd like to bring to rF1. No slipcurve, no spring base, no damping effect, nothing. So I am a bit lost about how I could do it to be honest. I hope you will be able to give me a solution and thank you again for answering me ;)

5. kiko0602

kiko0602 Registered

where did you get that tgm?i ask because every mod in rf2 must have both files(tgm+tbc)to work in game.
    if you find out what mod use that tgm file,you will probably find tbc file with that mod.

6. Jokeri

Jokeri Registered

Or ask from studio397 devs

7. lagg

lagg Registered

8. stonec

stonec Registered

You are IMO approaching this from the wrong end. rF2 uses a physical tire model, rF1 uses a mathematical model. So in rF2, the tire construction itself is 99% of how the tire behaves, and the rest 1% are some parameters in the [REALTIME] section of TGM. in rF1, 100% is mathematical. So the best way to approach this IMO is to take a look at some good rF1 mods and use what they have available. As was mentioned there are TBC files for rF2 as well, but those are for AI and probably not at all fine tuned for player based physics.

9. f14tmodding

f14tmodding Registered

Hello everybody, thanks for your many answers. I was on the road for a few days so I couldn't answer you before...I found this tyre file in the rFactor 2 tyre database, as they have inside it exactly those that I need. And unfortunately there are only tgm files, no tbc. But as given @stonec said it is apparently useful.

So I will try to find a good mod on rFactor 1 (there are so many) but I don't think there's one of the car I build (there's no LMP3 in rF1). Thanks again for answering me !

10. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Why don't you try to do it for rF2? If you already have the tires, you have solved the most difficult part from a rf1 to rf2 conversion. I am sure you would get the required help around here. You won't t regret the result. RF2 is superior to rf1 in FFB and tire modeling. Graphically, it will be also much better and believe me a good marketing helps a lot to convince the one who will evaluate your thesis.

11. f14tmodding

f14tmodding Registered

Hello. There are some reasons that bring me to make it for rFactor 1 only. First, my computer can simply not run rFactor 2. Even if there will be another in the simulator I build for my team, I need to be able to test it as often as possible at home. Then, I also clearly don't have the time. Im' doing this for my final year thesis and it has to be finished for the end of this month. Impossible to make the switch to rF2 as I clearly don't know how it works in terms of integration (I know the gen and so for rF1 but nothing for rF2). So maybe later but now it is not possible,n really not...