rFactor 2 Telemetry Plugin

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lazza, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The latest i2Pro should work.

2. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Sorry -- another Q -- where are the lof files saved to? cannot find them in MoTeC / Logs nor in the rF2 folder.

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The main folder is the 'home' folder for plugins. If you look in the .ini file you'll see there's a folder set there for writing logs to, think it's "\LOG" by default, so that would your "rFactor 2\LOG" folder. It doesn't create the folder itself though, so if you haven't moved that one back to your main folder it won't be able to write to it yet (the archive has that folder in it, but if you extracted to Core first it might still be in there).

If you at least have the .ini file (if you have UAC it goes somewhere else - think I mentioned in the readme, plus it's in this thread somewhere) that'll mean the plugin's working, then it's just a matter of setting the options and finding where it's putting things.

4. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Ah - i have tweaked the motecplugin.ini which is in the rFactor2 folder on my "G" drive and changed it to this:

Log dir = "G:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\LOG" // Directory to log to; relative to rFactor root if not absolute (e.g. "C:\Log files\")

I also created a new LOG folder in the main rFactor2 folder and started the sim. Yet nothing is still being written inside the folder?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 28, 2013
  5. C3PO

C3PO Registered

6. C3PO

C3PO Registered

MoTeC Parameters File looks like this, yet no logs are being created. The hardware plugin is working as my SLI-Pro plate works fine.

// MotecPlugin Parameters file

[MotecPlugin]
    Log dir = "G:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\LOG" // Directory to log to; relative to rFactor root if not absolute (e.g. "C:\Log files\")
    Logging on = "Plugins\MotecPlugin\LoggingOn.wav" // Sound file (wav) to play when logging is switched on
    Logging off = "Plugins\MotecPlugin\LoggingOff.wav" // Logging switched off
    One log built = "Plugins\MotecPlugin\OneLogBuilt.wav" // Sound to play when a log file has been built, with more pending
    All logs built = "Plugins\MotecPlugin\AllLogsBuilt.wav" // Sound when all pending log data has been built
    Error = "Plugins\MotecPlugin\Error.wav" // Sound when an error occurs
    Idle log cycles = 25000 // Log build cycles to perform per frame when idle (at monitor)
    Duty log cycles = 2500 // Log build cycles to perform per frame when busy (in-car, driving)
    Active on startup = 0 // Sets whether logging is active by default; 0 = no, 1 = yes
    Activation key = M // Key to press to (de)activate logging; single character (0-9, A-Z) or key code (eg 0x4D)
    Key modifier = 2 // Modifier to be pressed with activation key; specify ONE of: 0=none, 1=shift, 2=ctrl, 3=alt
    Realtime building = 1 // Whether to start building logs while still in-car; 0 = no, 1 = yes

[Channels]
    Data rate = 0 // Telemetry capture rate; Enter a value from -2 (useful minimums) to 2 (100Hz all channels)
    Inputs mode = 1 // Log unfiltered or filtered controls input; 1 = unfiltered, 2 = filtered, 3 = both
    Aerodynamics = 0 // Log rF2s extra aero info (drag, front/rear downforce, front wing height, front/rear rideheights; 0 = off, 1 = on
    Contact patch = 0 // Tyre contact patch channels (ground and patch velocities); 0 = off, 1 = on
    Weather = 0 // Extra weather info (cloud/rain/wetness/wind - most not currently active or are obsolete in rF2); 0 = off, 1 = on

7. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Okay, out of frustration I reinstalled the contents to the rFactor2 folder and deleted the .ini and restarted the game and went to the screen just where you commit to race. Exited rF2 back to desktop and no MotecPlugin.ini has been created!

8. MJP

MJP Registered

Have you checked in your G:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2 folder?

9. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Hi -- yes, there is no rFactor2 folder created in that path.

10. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Ah -- the .ini file has now been created -- no idea when or how. Anyway, still not recording any file -- what is the suffix of the log file so that I can search for it?

11. C3PO

C3PO Registered

​it's working!!!!!!

For my own reference, starting logging with CTL M after the Plug In Icon has shrunk to nothing.

12. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Regarding the built in Channel Slide PcT XX could I just clarify what that actually means?

I presume it means the % difference between the speed of the car and the rotational speed of the wheel?

So at 100%, both the wheel rotational speed and speed of the vehicle are roughly the same (and therefore a "no sliding scenario"). When the value is at 10%, it means that the wheel is rotating at 10% of the speed of the vehicle's direction of travel, therefore it is sliding / skidding?

13. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Without wanting to sound persnickety, both the first post in this thread (which you quoted in full in your first post the other day) and the readme.txt included with the plugin say this:

Usage

If you've set logging to be active on startup, as soon as you jump in the car you'll hear beeps indicating logging is active.

'Upwards beeps' = logging on. 'Downwards beeps' = logging off.

Otherwise, hit Ctrl-M (or your own defined key) to switch logging on.

It really does help when people read the instructions before filling threads with questions that are already answered; that's kind of the point of me sitting there typing them out in the first place. Anyway...

First, I'm not generating those figures or the names - rFactor provides both.

But rather than restricting it to rotational speeds, I think you'd be better off just thinking in terms of static and sliding friction. At 100% the tyre is 'not sliding at all', while at 0% it is completely sliding. Whether that's because it is rotating at such a low (or high) speed relative to the ground speed of the car, or it is sliding sideways, or a combination of both, is a matter for you to deduce.

'not sliding at all' is probably a bit simplistic, because you can probably be leaning on a tyre to a fair degree and have it still on 100%, but in rFactor 2 especially that's probably still correctly modeled as the tyre deforming (or conforming) while maintaining static friction at the contact patch. As parts of the rubber start to slide around that figure will come down, and at some point the whole patch will be sliding enough to call it 0%. It's unlikely the tyre needs to reach 0% of the ground speed in order for that to occur - again think of a static/sliding friction curve, once you reach a certain velocity the friction no longer drops so you'd probably call that point 0% and everything after that is still 0.

So it's likely (without actually testing) your car speed might be 300kph and your wheel rotation speed might give a 'patch velocity' of 150kph, and that would be enough of a difference for the whole patch to be sliding and the slide pct will be 0. I'm not sure on the actual figures, and it would vary (as a percentage) based on the actual speed and other factors.

14. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Hi Lazza,

Fair point, but I was a bit confused by not hearing the beeps -- and that is why I thought it was not working properly. I'd suggest changing that instruction to read:

"To start logging, press CTRL M after the plug-in icon has disappeared from the top left of the screen, otherwise it won't work." Shorter and clearer :)

Thanks for the clarification on the sliding thing ... I think it's exactly what I needed to know. Happy bunny now :)

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

For sure my ... erm... excessive length can be an issue sometimes. What can I say? :rolleyes:

16. C3PO

C3PO Registered

17. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Here is something I found when I started to use the Motec plugin.

It is a Motec Project specially made for use with rFactor 2. Really well done, everything is properly set up, only need to load in the lap times.

To use it, unrar the archive inside your Motec Projects directory, and open the project when starting Motec.

I didn't created this, and don't remember where or who created it. I left the readme.txt inside, but no credits in, only simple instructions to install.

You can find the file here: http://www.sendspace.com/file/1imiay

Hope it helps you!

18. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Thank you - will try this!

19. pleclair

pleclair Registered

Your welcome!

20. snajo

snajo Registered

Hello Lazza,

I have a somewhat weird question and I hope you can help me with some pointers.
    My goal is to write a converter that will convert ASCII log files to MoTeC .ld log files, so they can be viewed in MoTeC i2. Because the MoTeC log file format is closed, this is a challenge, yet somehow you managed to pull it off!
    My question is: How did you do it, and might you be so generous as to share your methods with me (or maybe even some source code)?
    Please note that my intentions here are not to rip off of your hard work, but merely to ask for your help.

Thanks for your time!

Regards,

Snajo