rFactor 2 Telemetry Plugin

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lazza, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hmm... have you got the latest version? I know that's nearly a year old now... but that error rings a bell... lol

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Post #35 in this thread had the same issue, and the Feb14 release fixed it. I'd say you've got a previous version.

3. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

I have the February 14th release installed

4. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, but I hope you can understand my perspective here... you've got exactly the same sort of path corruption as was previously reported, and I found the error in my code that caused it, and fixed it... so while I can't rule out something else coincidentally doing the same thing, seemingly only for you, it reallllly feels like a stretch compared to an accidental old file... ;)

Assuming it's a similar issue, a workaround for now would be to let it log to a relative or absolute path that's shorter than 9 characters (since, as before, your path is being corrupted from character 9 onwards). That way at least you should get logs for all your runs. The default "LOG\" should work fine.

If you could check in the meantime that you definitely have the newest plugin in there, and if the problem is ongoing I'll try and work out what's going on.

*Sorry, shorter than 8 characters is what you need... forgot about the extra one needed...

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2013
  5. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

Sorry, unless the gamefront download is mislabled I'm using the feb build. And I re downloaded it and installed after you questioned it.

Relative path still doesn't work, and weirder still it's not even logging my first run anymore.

6. Davvid

Davvid Registered

@Lazza

I have finally tried rF2 (Marussia F1 being a decoy :) ) and knowing your perfect rF1 plugin I installed rf2 version too. Therefore I'd like to ask couple of questions.

1. Is there a way to know "Brake Disc" thickness (like it was in rF1) ?
    2. Cambers (FL, FR, RL, RR) show 0.00 values. Don't exist in current build ?
    3. Do you (or anyone) know what height "Ride Heights" really measure ?
    I get 10-15 mm values but I really feel car bottoms hard. Is there a way to know when/where the floor bottoms out ?
    4. Is Veh. Wheelbase always correct like in rF1 ? Marussia gives only 2.85m.

Thanks in advance.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hi Davvid,

1. No, in rF1 I was reading the brakes from memory (the plugin interface doesn't provide this info), in rF2 things don't stay in the same place (probably an anti-cheat measure) so this isn't possible. It is possible to calculate it pretty closely but that requires having some of the vehicle parameters, and that isn't possible yet in rF2.
    2. When I wrote the plugin those values were not being generated by rF2 (through the plugin interface), I haven't tested since but if it's returning 0.0 then that's probably still the case. Same with the various contact patch values, I think.
    3. Not something I've ever really looked into or understood. I know some people familiar with modding understand what's involved. As you've discovered it's not as simple as you might expect, but it does seem rFactor might have 'fudged' the figure a bit so it was always sort of relevant. In rF2 it seems you have to know more about the mod in order to make sense of it.
    4. Wheelbase I was also grabbing from memory in rF1, but it only worked when it was set explicitly in the HDV file. If it was 0 there (so the game relied on the suspension layout) the plugin just assumed a value. I'm pretty sure that's still not supplied by rF2 so the plugin probably just gives a 'normal' value, which might well be 2.85m.

8. Davvid

Davvid Registered

Thanks Lazza for answers. Now I understand more but frankly that's not what I wanted to hear ;-) I assume engine wear is also out of reach for the same reasons (changing adresses in memory?). That's really not cool...

But I have one further question. I've read the source of internal plugins header file and I discovered some new very interesting telemetry values regarding wheels:
    double mSuspForce; // pushrod load in Newtons
    double mVerticalTireDeflection;// how much is tire deflected from its (speed-sensitive) radius
    double mWheelYLocation; // wheel's y location relative to vehicle y location

and aero:
    double mFrontWingHeight; // front wing height
    double mFrontRideHeight; // front ride height
    double mRearRideHeight; // rear ride height
    double mDrag; // drag
    double mFrontDownforce; // front downforce
    double mRearDownforce; // rear downforce

Is there perhaps any chance you will add these channels in the upcoming future ? :D It would be very nice and helpful since physics files are now encrypted...

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Aero: in the MotecPlugin.ini change

Aerodynamics = 0

to 1. That's in the [Channels] section.

I haven't yet added an option to have mVerticalTireDeflection or mWheelYLocation, along with some of the vehicle position values. It's probably best I basically allow full customisation of which channels are logged, something I'm meaning to get to but haven't, yet :)

mSuspForce is already logged, should show as 'Susp Force FL [N]', etc.

And yeah, in rF1 it's not difficult to calculate engine wear from the vehicle/engine files (though must admit my rF1 plugin has the calculation wrong... but anyway...), in rF2 unless something has changed recently the engine file isn't available. Given some content is protected I doubt that'll change, unfortunately.

* In the aero I think I gave the Drag a unit of Newtons, but in a discussion somewhere on here I think it was decided it should be kg, or something. Not sure, something I should look at in future...

10. Davvid

Davvid Registered

Forgive me, I must have somehow overlooked that ini option about aero channels :rolleyes:

And mSuspForce actually is there, right. I can't see it in channels in Motec but it's logged. Must be my project or something.

PS. Your engine wear in rF1 may be little off but in the end is very precise after my own calibration ;-)

11. Scofield

Scofield Registered

Hi,

Do you have any project for motec?
    In my project some parameters do not work.
    Thanks.

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

No, I don't have a template.

The list of logged channels is shown on the right by default in most tabs, use those channel names to create/modify the graphs so they show up.

Tyre temperatures for example, in the default Motec project the fronts are graphed with inside, centre, and outside (which all work), while the rears just have a single temperature (which isn't logged, so doesn't 'work'). You either need to create those rear channels by creating them in Maths and averaging each rear tyre's inside/centre/outside channels, or modify the graph so it shows those 3 values instead of a single one.

For those channels that aren't in the default project at all you'll need to modify an existing page/tab or create a new one, and put in a graph showing the channels you want and with the options you need. There are so many possibilities and ways to interpret the data there's not really a one-size-fits-all that I could hand out and everyone's happy - so it's better to let people decide what they want and configure it.

13. A.Driver

A.Driver Registered

Hi Lazza , thanks for the Motec plugin , very useful .

I noticed that the 'Rear 3rd Spring' value is dead , any chance you could look and see
    if its a fault with the plugin or rF2 please ?

Again , many thanks for your work .

14. ViSo

ViSo Registered

EDIT: Nothing said.

Working correctly now.

15. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Looking at my code I think it's referenced correctly, so probably rF2. I'll try and check that.

Glad I couldn't help ;)

16. KILL BILL

KILL BILL Registered

nice plugin, but I have not found channel anti roll: gyro yaw angel, gyro yaw velocity, gyro pitch velocity... and damper position.
    can you get them? or does not allow the game?

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The game provides position and rotation data, I didn't think to put them in as I didn't have a need and the default project doesn't use them. They could be added as an option though.

Damper position isn't exactly available; suspension deflection is (and is logged) but getting that back to the actual damper position would need the motion ratio I believe, something the game doesn't directly provide.

18. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Hi -- I extracted folder contents to the Core folder, but I cannot see the NetCommUtilPlugin.dll in the Core folder, only the Plugins folder? Am I doing something wrong?

19. Lazza

Lazza Registered

When you installed rFactor2 the installation asked you to first select a Core folder, and then select a Data folder. That's what I've referred to as the Core folder - I really should say 'Main' folder.

What you'll want to do now is pull those files back out of your "rFactor 2\Core" folder, and put them into your "rFactor 2" folder. That way the Plugins folder in the archive will be merged with your existing Plugins folder and everything will end up in the right place.

I should have avoided the use of the word 'Core' completely. I thought I was going to make it clearer by using the same term as the installer does but all it's done has confused people :eek:

20. C3PO

C3PO Registered

Ah thank you -- BTW, which version of MoTEc should I be using?