rFactor 2 Telemetry Plugin

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lazza, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Stability update (v1.03) in first post, recommend downloading. Probably tens of people around the place with 'v1.0' bemoaning the bugs and instability and not even aware there are updates, but that's what happens when direct links get thrown around... anyway ;)

I guess the timing data format was changed a bit from the early days. I worked out the log format from a sample log with i2Pro 1.03.x I think, so if there were differences previous to that I'm not aware of them.

If you want a single-figure average there should be a way to make motec get the entire stint, might be another alteration between early and later versions to make it work. The documentation might shed some light.

Personally I use extra channels to separate left- and right-corners so I can see the average temperature of each tyre only during cornering that depends on that tyre - ie left tyres during right corners, and vice versa. I think this is more dependable than an overall average, which can be affected by the nature of the circuit.

2. Tiger

Tiger Registered

the latest version ov Motec pro, the 1.18 is working perfectly, why use an older version of it?

3. hdj

hdj Registered

Just wanted to ask.

Is it possible to have the saved hotlaps and replays as videos in Motec ?

I've seen that they are saved as .vcr files in rFactor2 but Motec doesn't recognise these.

If I could convert .vcr to .mpeg, .avi or .wmv would this work ?

If so does anyone know of any conversion software available ?

4. RayH

RayH Registered

Actually I would go crazy over hot laps stored as MoTeC info., not just video, but the telemetry data. But would also like to have the setup that went with the lap as well.

I would love to be able to compare my setups with other's.

But understandably, many consider that classified ;-)

5. RayH

RayH Registered

On a similar front, being able to have full telemetry on AI would allow me access to a consistent driver for setup testing. The fool who is driving my car can't seem to do two laps the same way. Here I am slaving over setup and he can't even get around the trck in one piece. ;-)

6. Lazza

Lazza Registered

rFactor (2) .vcr files contain no video. They are a collection of information related to the car positions and status (braking, headlights, acceleration) that the game engine can use to draw what happened. It's like writing down directions on how to drive to your local shops or work - the written instructions don't 'look like' anything, but someone can use them to visualise the route (simple replay analyser), and someone with knowledge of the area could 'see' themselves following the directions (rFactor graphics engine drawing the captured events).

I don't know how the video function in Motec works, but it would require capturing the video with Fraps or similar.

I think this is a bit tongue-in-cheek, but it's worth mentioning for those not familiar that the server receives no telemetry data for players, which means your own game (and replays) also receive no telemetry for other players. Replays containing other players can be useful viewing to improve your driving technique, but it depends on the quality of the captured data (busy servers, or distant cars [if you were driving] or cars you weren't watching [if you were in the garage], will provide unreliable playback).

AI uses a simplified physics model, hence a number of the channels not receiving values (tyre temperatures, for example). Unfortunately this also makes AI less than ideal setup-testers for anything but the most basic parameters.

7. RayH

RayH Registered

Sorry to say but the install issues have come back with the Feb update. The Jan verson runs fine ,IF I use 'Run as Adminstrator'. Now the Feb MoTeC dll does not create the ini file so I am dead in the water. No ini, no cute little rising notes, no satisfying beep beep as I Esc out of my last disastrous attempt. If I roll back to Jan version all is copesetic.

Any thoughts?
    Ray

8. Leonardo1962

Leonardo1962 Registered

I've the same Problem: no log files

> I always hear the LoggingOff.wav and a red unplugged Icon Top left.
    I tried absolute and relaitve directories with same result no .ld files :confused:
    My last try ist the absolute directory in MotecPlugin.ini

Log dir = "F:\log" // Directory to log to; relative to rFactor root if not absolute (e.g. "C:\Log files\")
    or
    Log dir = "F:\log\" // Directory to log to; relative to rFactor root if not absolute (e.g. "C:\Log files\")

Hope the Backslash is the last directory Character.

What else is possible wrong
    I use MoTeC.exe (1.0.18.17)

:)
    Leonardo

9. RayH

RayH Registered

I had this problem until I started running rFactor2 in admin mode.
    Right click on the Start menu rFactor2 icon and choose'Run as Adminstrator' . that got the Jan version working fine. the Feb version is DOA for me. I am clueless. Tried different ways but SOL. Is there a way to take a user and have them run all applications as Admin?
    Other than create a new user?

10. hdj

hdj Registered

Thanks Lazza,

I've downloaded FRAPS, just need to work out what it does and how to record.

See how it goes.

11. Viking

Viking Registered

No ini file creation for me either.

I've checked both locations.

12. Tiger

Tiger Registered

it sounds strange... I had some kind of similar issue, then revert back to default, and everything's fine!
    here is the line in the config file : "Log dir = "LOG\" ", have to say that all rf2 is installed in the same directory, only 4 files under .rfactor in user/appdata/roaming, the entire game is installed in one drive and folder, and I think, most issues came from this....
    my 2cts..

13. Steve Watts

Steve Watts Registered

Hi good work I love workling with MoTec. Is there a gyro yaw or similar channel that can be logged to show the direction the car is pointing?

14. Dany Mitchel

Dany Mitchel Registered

MoTeC uses it own Codecs there are links to the codec in MoTeC also it shows that you can capture video straight from a camera
    I know it is not perfect but you can set up a web cam HD 720 min and record your screen once you leave pit and have motec running it will record the footage and then save it at the end of the session it will save the video files to the Vedio folder in MoTeC
    on the MoTec website they show you needing a junction box to get all the parts working together , I think that you can use your pc to do the same job

Properties
    The various properties and settings may be changed from the properties window

To show the Properties, press F5 -OR- on the Component menu, click Properties.
    VIDEO TAB
    Each video component must be linked to the appropriate Camera View (for example Driver).
    Select a Camera View or click Edit to create a Camera View

This also needs testing

Video Generation with TrackVision
    The Video Generation feature allows the video and logged data to be combined to create a video with overlayed gauges. This required installation of TrackVision on your PC. i2 Pro exports data to TrackVision, which creates the video. The resulting video file can be played on any PC, and using appropriate software, it can be burnt to a DVD.

Download and Install TrackVision to use with i2 Pro
    The free demonstration version of TrackVision works perfectly with i2 Pro and has all the features of the licensed TrackVision product, with two exceptions:

The finished video can be shown but not saved.
    A main concept logo is displayed if your input video is in MPEG and H.264 format.
    See also http://www.trackvision.net/MoTeC_i2.shtml to download, install and prepare TrackVision for i2 Pro video generation.

To prepare TrackVision for i2 Pro video generation
    Start TrackVision.
    On the Edit menu, click Preferences.
    Change Video output files to \MoTeC\Projects to keep all your i2 Pro files in the same place.
    In the Logger model box, select MoTeC i2 Pro 1.0.3 VideoGen
    Select use KPH speed units if applicable
    In the Dashboard box, select MoTeC_VideoGen, or, if you have the GPS option, select MoTeC_VideoGen GPS.
    Click to clear the Warn on Save Movie...' and 'Show/Save Movie...' check boxes.
    Check 'Use PAL frame sizes...' if you do not want NTSC [US and Japan] frame sizes.
    Click OK, than exit TrackVision.
    TrackVision is now ready for i2 Pro VideoGen operation.
    To generate a TrackVision video
    Ensure you have opened the log file and the video in i2 Pro.

On the File menu, click Generate Video.
    Browse for the channel in your log file that contains Speed and RPM, and select the correct speed units.
    These chanels are required. Optionally, you can select additional channels.
    i2 Pro will store these settings.
    Click Run TrackVision.
    i2 Pro will start TrackVision with the data and the video currently loaded.
    Click Show Movie.
    You can change Movie Options settings including:
    Transparency, which controls the transparency of the data dashboard
    Frame Margin, which moves the data dashboard away from the frame border for DVD creation
    Event Title, where you can add title information that will appear on your video
    Use different dashboards. Dashboards are easy to modify, and many users create their own
    You will see your changes in the preview window as you make them.
    Click OK.
    Tips:
    When your video finishes, you will be returned to the TrackVision project screen. You can drag the red and green editing arrows to set new start and end points for the video. This is an easy way to isolate a single lap or an incident within the video. Now, when you click Show Movie, TrackVision will use your new start and end times.

If you have licensed TrackVision, you can save your movies in DV, MPEG2, MPEG4, H.264, or Windows Media Video format.

I do hope we can get it working 100%

15. Fergy

Fergy Registered

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2012
  16. Revan

Revan Registered

I have the MotecPlugin.dll in "C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Plugins" with the MotecPlugin directory. When i start the game to the menu and quit there is no MotecPlugin.ini anywhere on my computer, uac is "off".
    I tried to put the plugins-directory in "C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\Core" as suggested in the readme-file but no change. What do i wrong?

17. Revan

Revan Registered

Don`t know what i have done, now it works. Weird.

18. Fergy

Fergy Registered

Hoping Lazza might be able to help with this one. I'm not sure if it is possible but I am trying to run MoTec for rf1 and 2 on the current version of MoTec pro. The rfactor 2 file can be seen by MoTec but not the rfactor 1 files.The rf2 files are .ld and rf1 .ldx. Is that the problem or is it just not possible.

Any help appreciated.

MoTec version 1.18.00017

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2012
  19. Doc_

Doc_ Registered

For rfactor 1 you will need an older version of motec.
    You can run 2 versions of motec easily enough. Just install to a different folder.
    V1.01.0082 http://www.mediafire.com/?zotiouwguuf

20. Doc_

Doc_ Registered

You will also the need the data acquisition plug in for rfactor 1.