rFactor 2 Telemetry Plugin

Discussion in 'Other' started by Lazza, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Novis

Novis Registered

Sweet Lazza! This is the most valuable add-on to the game and a must for anyone developing cars/setups. I will try to test the new version as soon as it up. Great work!

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Ok, updated.

The bug Novis (and Guy, possibly/probably) found was consistently reproduceable and I found a very likely culprit, a few tests indicate it's been fixed. So hoping. :)

It now writes a vehicle wheelbase of 2850mm to the log file. This means Motec's Oversteer calculation is easier to setup.

Steered angle is not logged directly. The rF2 interface doesn't provide access to it, nor the current vehicle setup lock. It does, however, now provide toe angles for the front wheels - so that's a good way to get the steered angle.

Create a new maths channel, call it Steered Angle (Angle, degree), and put this in the edit area:

('Toe FL' [rad] + 'Toe FR' [rad]) / 2

I'm not sure what that will do if a wheel is damaged and bent, but probably not worth worrying too much about steered angle in that case ;)

I could have used those same toe values to produce a steered angle value directly - but that just makes the logs bigger and Motec can do it anyway.

You should find the Oversteer calculation will work with the Steered Angle channel set up and the Vehicle Wheelbase defined in the Details section. (as the latest plugin will do)

Same concept applies for the default braking graphs - they are set to use Brake Pres Front and Brake Pres Rear - so set up channels with those names using the average of Brake Pressure FL & FR and Brake Pressure RL & RR respectively. Keep in mind rF2 currently produces a percentage figure for those values, we should get proper pressures later.

If you don't know how or where to create Maths channels - you need to play with i2Pro more. Have a look around all the menus.

If you don't have UAC it'll be in the same folder you installed to (your rF2 'Core install' folder), if you do it's probably in the spot detailed in the first post and in the readme. If not go and find a proper file search tool and find it that way - you need a better one in Vista/7 anyway :eek:

*** I should add the file writing code will now abort the write if it encounters an error, sound a (new) error tone, and won't try again until you next switch logging on. So the slowmo thing shouldn't happen for that reason, at least.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2012
  3. pinkeye

pinkeye Registered

Thanks for answer.
    By the way my *.ini file is located in the UAC folder :rolleyes:

4. Addict

Addict Registered

Hello, what version of Motec is the most reliable? I was using v1.01.0082 but now I tried the v1.18.0017 & v1.03.0106 and I see which gives average temperatures of 15 ° C lower than with the old version (v1.01.0082)....Thanks

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Hmm... temperatures? What temperatures?

I found versions below about 1.05 were annoying on Vista/W7 (channel slide-out didn't redraw properly when you hide it, for example) and more recent ones have the GPS which is handy. I use 1.10.x, don't know what 1.18 offers.

6. Addict

Addict Registered

ah sorry , I meant the average temperature of the tires (inner,center,outer), depends on the version you use gives a value or another , approximately 15ºC differential , using the channel stat_mean ('Tyre Temp FL Inner "[C]) for example

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2012
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Well that's a bit weird :)

8. Addict

Addict Registered

the v1.01.0082 gives a value different from other versions ,I had always used but now I do not know what to do .I guess the newer versions will be better...

9. Novis

Novis Registered

The corrupt path seems to be gone. Thanks!

10. Addict

Addict Registered

the lap time in Motec is a 1.5s less than the lap time RF2...Why?

11. Tiger

Tiger Registered

I use the motec 1.18 without problem...
    thanks for the update ;)

12. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Um... just to make it more interesting? Boosting drivers' ego?

But seriously, obviously 99% of the time the laptimes shown are correct - as they probably should be, since the plugin uses the scoring information rF2 provides to build laptime events. It's possible it sometimes get things wrong, but it should be very rare (or I should say, it's proven to be very rare - an early build I did (for rF1) was a bit buggy but about a year ago I reworked the relevant code and haven't noticed any issues since).

There are two situations in which the displayed 'best time', or a laptime itself, will definitely be wrong:

1. If you don't complete a proper timed lap, the shortest 'time' (outlap, partial lap, or the log as a whole) will be shown as the fastest lap.
    2. If you escape or stop logging immediately after finishing a lap the plugin won't have time to capture the timing data and the laptime will be wrong.

It writes data in 1-second chunks and outputs the latest scoring data in those chunks, so you need to leave a full 1-2 seconds either side of a lap when turning logging on or off to ensure it can capture the timing info properly.

Or it's possible rF2 is somehow tripping it up, since I just ported this code across from rF1 and when it worked I figured it's working fine ;) - but if that's the case, I'm going to need a bit more info than you've supplied.

13. pinkeye

pinkeye Registered

Addict:
    I had the same problem with inaccurate sometimes lap at i2 pro but I found a simple solution:

1. You have to click on the green icon at the top of the page (TRACK EDITOR)
    2. When the window opens, click on the Generate Track button (in the lower left corner)
    3. In the new window called Generate track, click the OK button
    4. Done!
    5. You can even generate new sectors of the lap.

If laptime is still wrong you have to mark (in the GENERATE TRACK window) Method for Latheral G & Speed

Sorry for my english :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 9, 2012
  14. Addict

Addict Registered

jejeje,no, I do sessions of 10 laps each and every lap the Motec gives 1.5s unless the RF2. I know people who have the same problem ...

PD. The problem I had before about the temperatures of tires was because the current versions of Motec only read the first round, I do not know the reason ... with the v1.01.0082 OK and I use this version.

15. Addict

Addict Registered

doing that only regenerates the track but the lap time does not vary,thanks.

16. pinkeye

pinkeye Registered

Mark Latheral G & Speed ​​in the Generate TRACK instead of GPS. It really works!

17. Doc_

Doc_ Registered

I have noticed some disparity with lap times with motec in iracing as well. I havent noticed any incorrect times with rfactor2.
    rfactor 1 and the GTR series have never given me incorrect times.
    The iracing motec data is completely up **** creek and setup changes dont always do what they are supposed to. That has turned me off iracing. I'm praying rfactor 2 has the goods.
    So far, I cant fault the motec data from rfactor2 and the sim has alot of promise.

18. Addict

Addict Registered

I think the problem is the plugin because the LOG it generates is named with the wrong time, or lap times shown in RF2 are wrong, I don't know...

19. barrett

barrett Registered

It's a problem with the version level of MoTeC.

I was seeing the same problem with lap times, but after updating to latest version the laptimes agree with the in-game times.

20. Addict

Addict Registered

yes, it's true, I can update the motec and the lap times are right now.The plugin works well . Thanks.