rfactor 2 release date

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by coops, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Guineapiggy

Guineapiggy Registered

Nonsense. Let's take Steam's hardware statistics as a baseline and compare them to RF1's system requirements. Each requirement is listed above how many current Steam users are below it.

Minimum 1.5ghz processor
    Below: 0.34%

Minimum 128MB video ram
    Below: >2%

Minimum 512mb RAM
    Below: 0.09%

Minimum Windows 98SE or later
    Below: >0.09%

So even if we take the worst case scenario with these results and say that first, none of these users are the same, (It stands to reason that the people who don't get close to CPU requirements won't get close to GPU either for the most part but hey) that's about 2.5% (one in forty) people who can't play rFactor using Steam as our guide and back when RF1 was released you'd better believe there were people below some of these minimum requirements who still ran the game and claimed it was playable.

Now let's see how it works with RF2's (loosely estimated) system requirements:

Minimum 2GB RAM
    Below: 4.75%

Possible: Dual core CPU
    Below: 6.76%

512MB video ram
    Below: >17%

Windows XP or later
    Below: >0.21%

As for the idea that a low grip co-efficient and particle effects could possibly match full rain effects, dry vs wet lines and aquaplaning, it somewhat misses the complexity of racing in the rain. The track doesn't just get more slippery, drivers are forced to change the very line they use around the track, how and where they apply the throttle and brake. The car's balance can change, behaviors change at different speeds, the way their tyres behave, their temperature and wear change dramatically especially in wet-dry or dry-wet conditions which, again, is something that you can't do in RF1. Visibility drops dramatically, (hard to do convincingly) the track becomes an entirely different beast when it rains and that simply can't be replicated with particle effects and low grip in RF1. Again, maybe you're happy with that but this is a sim-racing crowd so telling them that simpler is better isn't going to win that much favor.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2011
  2. Genghis99

Genghis99 Registered

Hardware requirements of RF2 only meet PS3 standart - it would run even on a XBOX. I hope, that ISI find a partner to enter Console Market with RF2. So that ISI can survive. Today - there is no PC exclusive Game left over ... All new games are console-ports (more worst than better).
    I don't like this - but it seems we have to live with. I hate the word cross-platform-development ....

So i understand, that developing rF2 takes such a long time - there is no financial power to force the work - and there is no hope for a commercial success.
    rFactor is not CoD - and ISI is not EA.

3. beatnik

beatnik Registered

rFactor would never work on a console. Ask SimBin how it worked out for them when they did Race Pro.

4. lespaul20

lespaul20 Registered

Apparently you are not familiar with ISI. Their business does not revolve around rFactor (consumer version at least). http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/157-Q-A-up-at-SimHQ

rFactor is not Need for Speed. It's a simulation, not a game. Comparing ISI to EA is kind of dumb. ISI has a fraction of employees compared to EA's 8000.

5. theother5

theother5 Registered

Still prepared to wait for rf2 ...patiently and still enjoying rf1 in the mean time.

Part of rF's longevity has been a fantastic engine and the mods which have been developed and keep rF punching above it's weight when you consider graphics for example.

Consoles are great, no question, but I fail to see how rF2 can continue to build on the legacy of rF without being on PC. My kicker being, console development would suck up resources otherwise deployable to the PC platform and if ISI is anything like any other engineering team in the world, resources are precious!

6. shum94

shum94 Registered

http://youtu.be/xYX1BYOl9Dw
    http://youtu.be/OI7x706ODVM

This gopro videos are amazing and it makes me crazy for a release of rF2.

On a second point, i like to point out that we havent seen in the new system a hr sky, i really hope that this new shybox (dynamic) will be in hr.

7. michael1

michael1 Banned

www.rfactor.net i see they are getting ready for rfactor 2 as you can see hear the new site layout with rf2

8. phil23

phil23 Registered

I just can't wait to get my hands on rF2;).

9. michael1

michael1 Banned

come on guys we can't loose more drivers to codemasters this year befor september please an befor commet elenin because if it whipes us out i want to drive rfactor 2 befor we are vaporised.

10. JoshJ81

JoshJ81 Registered

Codies make arcade games, if we lose drivers to that then I say good, I'd rather drive against people that want to drive for real. I know it's a dream that I can't let go lol

11. michael1

michael1 Banned

well said an yes rfactor is a simulator an is very good i downloaded three sisters track and zip karts and was good training even the ffb was close to real but you need redbulls simulator for real bumps but if you use a tdf file from a gtr track or superleauge 2009 by isi (CTDP) or even rfactor powered 2pez top race you will have some good bumps in the brake zones just after 100m board trust me ;)