rFactor 2 physics - Real Time - Super Slow Mo!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by richiespeed13, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

It's because graphics and physics are separate, physics are much much much much much higher fidelity than graphics, same with rf1 and any rf engine based game, and pretty much any other sim, although some other sims definitely seem to do a better correlation between the 2.

Highest fidelity ingame options doesn't mean the graphics and physics are perfectly visualized. This is almost impossible due to physics algorithms and general calculations being way way more complex than what can be represented in graphics without blowing someones computer up.

Highest fidelity just means it's the highest fidelity that isi has allocated for the game to use.

I agree that I hope ISI improve in this area, as nk pro, lfs, rbr and probably iracing all look better in this area.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2012
  2. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Here is a perfect example of what I mentioned above.

There is a youtube video of the amazing looking upcomming game called kartsim. (Part of my "big 3" sims when it comes to pure driving, the other 2 being RFactor 2 and Assetto Corsa, well most likely that is).

So anyways, someone posted on one of the youtube comments this:

"fairly sure the bars infront of the fuel tank (under the wheel holding up the steering column) do not bend and twist that much!..."

The official response from kartsim:

"You're right about the bars not bending that much. The physics model also doesn't bend as much as this; however the number of elements that are calculated in the model is exponentially larger than what can represent graphically in realtime. Hence there's a tradeoff between what you see and what the physics model is doing, as we can only sample it in a few locations."

:)

Exponentially larger, basically wayyyyyyyyyyy more physics stuff going on than what is represented graphically.

3. FONismo

FONismo Registered

This is what i want to see in rF2 for replays. Still the best i have seen in terms of behaviour. It's an amazing looking engine! Please ISI match or better this. This is GT5 and Forza 4 quality

4. richiespeed13

richiespeed13 Registered

My only argument about "how it looks is not necessarily how it is" is this:

If after going airborne over a curb, the car moves funky and weird in the air, that means the physical positioning of the car is wrong, which means the physics are wrong too.

For example, the physics when you are driving normally could be 100% perfect. But if hitting a curb launches you 400ft in the air because gravity is wrong, then you have a problem.

We do not get launched 400ft into the air, but the physics of the "rfactor-verse" are definitely not right yet.

(I mean in terms of gravity, inertia, airborne movement, physics when driving rock)

5. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

but it's possible to make good authentic videos with scanned replay dynamics :)

6. RMachucaA

RMachucaA Registered

Thats the limitation of the replay not using the physics, the replay literally records the car\wheel positions at a much inferior rate and basically keyframes the cars\components in place. No matter how high the fidelity is, it wont look good. Lets hope that they record the inputs instead and let the physics engine do the work for the replay. Unfortunately, i dont think they physics would react 100% the same if you replay the inputs, so the outcome of the replay could be slightly different then what was done.

7. FONismo

FONismo Registered

I would like a drift car in rF2. I remember this from ISI aswell

8. 3lfk1ng

3lfk1ng Registered

Hello everyone, my name is Drew and I am a amateur traction racer. I drive a race-built 2004 VW GTI with a 24v vr6. I bought rFactor 2 so that I could learn more when I am not at the track.

My wife would also love a drift mod for rFactor2, she is building a 1971 Datsun 510 with a KA24DE. I am waiting for a round steering wheel to get released for the Fanatec CSW so that she can learn to drift when she is not at the track.

Tire physics are especially important for both of these driving styles and that is exactly why I purchased rFactor 2.