rFactor 2 important Discussion..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by F1lover, Nov 4, 2011.

1. yifter

yifter Registered

Some people just dont get it

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.p...ant-Discussion..?p=15988&viewfull=1#post15988

You can mod yourself to death offline, as the modding mode is always available. ISI brings the toolset, you are not able to deliver that. Besides, there will be more 'real' content this time (Meganes, Historic, 2 great tracks we know of ). No one told you guys to start modding in rF, you just did. Why is that?

2. F1lover

F1lover Registered

For the love of Racing and Sim racing...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2011
  3. maatriks

maatriks Registered

You cannot directly compare rF1 to rF2 as latter will have a lot more and better ISI-made mods and tracks, at least that is what I believe at the moment. Megane and historic F1 alone will be great combo we can race for years.

And in the end it does not matter what mods we run, it matters what we run those mods on, and this will be rFactor 2.

4. Andy Miller

Andy Miller Registered

i can tell you how many servers are running rfactor.......all of them

how is ISI making money from modders work suddenly news...rFactor was always a modding platform and most (not all) sales probably came from people wanting to play certain mods.. Why is this all of the sudden an issue? They are charging for a service that sounds like will ensure rfactor2 is a better experience online than rfactor1 is/was. That service is of course going to cost money for continual upkeep and running costs much like those that rent a dedicated server.

I hope that the mods my team and I have created have brought ISI many sales. Its a mutual relationship. ISI provides the features we need to create the cars we love to race and in return we are virtually limitless in the types and number of cars we can create.

This isnt some company outside of the game/modder relationship making a buck off of that work.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
    2 people like this.
  5. Grubby

Grubby Registered

I dont see what all the fuss is about, I cant understand how by ISI changing the way they do there business really impacts on the modding groups, from my understanding modders do it because of there interest in the game, motorsport and most of all as a hobby. If it was more then a hobby the modders should be working for game developers.

ISI are now charging for a service that was once free, we cant help that and to be honest it doesn't bother me, I have played RF1 for approx 6 years and if I was to work out the cost it would be approx $10.00 a year for all that enjoyment, now if I manage to get the same 6 years enjoyment from RF2 with the new pricing structure it will cost me $20.00 a year, hell my food and electricity bills have more then doubled in 6 years.

6. deBorgo83

deBorgo83 Registered

I'm not sure I understand this idea of modders being able to bypass the online service fee. Yes, their mods are their mods, their work, but they're going to need the required platform - no sim, no mods.
    Like the rest of us they're going to be playing them in rFactor 2, a product they didn't create, ISI did.
    That's ISI who are going to provide an additional service to improve the rF2 experience for us, the same ISI who have to cover the costs of doing that, the same ISI who have every right to try and protect their product, and every right to charge a fair price for it, which the announced pricing surely is.
    The pricing is what it is, and yes, it's a change from rF1. Fortunately if you're not happy with it other sims are available, although I don't see any that offer as advanced a driving experience as rF2 will reputedly bring. We'll have to wait and see on that, I guess.
    JMO.

7. F1lover

F1lover Registered

and someone

8. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

How many people are running non-ISI content released in the same timeframe? :) The content that came with rF1 is old, so are those old mods. Both have fallen by the wayside. rF2 is not rF1.

9. F1lover

F1lover Registered

Tim

10. yifter

yifter Registered

This is part of your first post, "F1Lover". Your complain was for ISI making money out of the modding community. Then reread my post above. Problem solved. Good night.

11. F1lover

F1lover Registered

again you offer absolutly nothing in the way of a discussion of the topic..

12. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

You're not being forced to argue? Either discuss, or don't... I don't agree with what you've been saying, but I do understand what you're saying. I'm absolutely fine with you saying it...

13. F1lover

F1lover Registered

Fine.. Tim no problem..

14. Grubby

Grubby Registered

This is too funny, people are argueing over something they have a choice in, if you agree with it, buy the game at its price and yearly subscrition and enjoy what it has to offer, if you dont, go play something else.

That said Rfactor has a good community and I would hate to see this destroyed over nothing.

15. Tim Bennett

Tim Bennett Registered

Ok, lets look at the other side of the coin here.

How many modding groups take donations to pay for their servers?
    How many modding groups have enough popularity to sell advertising on their website or forum? Google adsense anybody?
    I've downloaded many mods, some good some bad. I've ran into many communities worried more about making money from their mod then building a quality mod.

I've seen mods in simulators, 5 bucks a try. I've seen paid entry fee races.

So you guys can complain all you want, but the reality of it is, modders have exploited the process as well.

Do i agree with 13 bucks a year? No, i think a simple required login to combat pirates would have been sufficient. Will i pay the 13 bucks a year? Uhhhh yeah duh, there is nothing like rFactor. And by the sounds of it we will get a much needed upgrade to the matchmaker service, so 13 bucks a year is cool with me.

16. IMSA GTP

IMSA GTP Registered

$13 a year is plenty cheap.

Look at it this way -
    How many hours a year will you spend racing online?
    What's your time worth per hour?
    Will the features in rF2 enhance the time you spend online by $13?

As far as modding goes, its been great stuff, and more will keep coming. You still have a choice. rF1 won't go away, and even if ISI stopped supporting the rF1 matchmaker someone else would pick it up.

17. F1lover

F1lover Registered

OHH God thank you Mr. Bennett.. that is what i am talking about.. somebody who understands!! thank you and i respect everything you said.. and well said at that..
    Thank you

18. rci808

rci808 Registered

yep, it was slimjims karting mod that made me go buy rfactor. (tried at a friends house).

so yes, modders are VERY important to keep the rfactor going.

i do a little modding too, setup a website and server to advertise and run my stuff (and slimjims).

setup a little paypal donations jar, made some money with it, and now i'm giving some of that money back to isi.

all good man.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2011
  19. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

My last post on the topic...
    made simple using rF1 as an example...
    ISI made us a Pizza, a cheese pizza, then comes along Mario, and adds all your favorite toppings for free.

we know rF2 is going to be a much better pizza, with some toppings added this time,
    but along comes Mario again, and adds even more toppings
    Mario doesn't want to be paid, just allowed in the Kitchen.....lmao

20. rci808

rci808 Registered

L m a o