rFactor 2 important Discussion..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by F1lover, Nov 4, 2011.

1. F1lover

F1lover Registered

hdhd

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2011
  2. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

Because ISI has to spend money to maintain the matchmaker server and additional service is also included in the fee such as hosting mods/updates so the game can automatically update without us having to hunt down download links, unzip them to the right place ect ect. They will also be providing additional content over time.

But do we really need another thread for this topic?

3. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

I'd like to have seen the multiplayer part left online and would be happy to pay for updated material, that way people on the older version could still play each other but they wouldnt be able to join servers with the latest version.

4. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

My understanding is that updates to the game will be free but must be installed manually if you don't have a sub. "Content" updates are a different story though. I am sure you will need a sub for new content.

5. yifter

yifter Registered

You answered the question yourself: ISI charges for you being ABLE to use the multiplayer, NOT for being able to use MODs.

I also doubt 'all' multiplayer content being popular in rF1 is made from Modders, think Monza, Jiading, also reuse of existing (ISI-made) Textures, 3D-Models, Sounds and so on. Did you, or your 'friend', ever consider to donate to a Modding-Group? If not, why not? :cool:

6. F1lover

F1lover Registered

[1st is up..

7. lasercutter

lasercutter Registered

not you too sam... ISI is in business to make money, it's the whole point of making rFactor.

rFactor and rF2 are platforms for people to create mods, the hundreds of cars and tracks is why people bought rFactor over GTR2, the ability to make your own mods and to share these with your fellow rFactor users is what it was all about and what rF2 will be all about.
    I hope rF2 makes money from any content I create, I hope my tracks encourage people to buy rF2, I'll get a buzz from seeing servers running my tracks, from the videos and screenshots people post and the comments that they make, because that will help fund rF3 and ensure ISI is around to keep providing the online service.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I don't begrudge ISI a penny for the amount of fun, friends and experiences their sim has provided to me over the last 6 years, long may it continue.

8. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

Why would he donate.? he is in a Modding group,
    and they have done some mighty fine mods.
    I think if the modding groups got a waiver from the online fee,
    it would make them less resistant to produce mods for this title.
    As the amount of the fee is not important, it is the principle.
    the same as the few hand picked mod teams that got to work on the Beta.
    everybody knows that without the modding community, rF wouldn't lasted as long as it did.
    it's just a friendly gesture to say thanks for all your hard work and time.

9. David G Fisher

David G Fisher Registered

Your friend is ridiculous. ISI could have made the sim so that mods were impossible, and then continually added it's own content over the years. Every two years they could have made us pay for a new version. Instead, a decision was made to make the game moddable, but NOT charge ANYTHING for SIX years. They could of done it either way. If modders didn't like the setup, they should of modded for another sim. If they don't like the new setup with rF2, then find another sim to mod. Create their OWN sim if they think they can do it better. Graphics, physics, mulitplayer, sound, controller setup for all the hardware out there.....go ahead and do it. I'm interested in rF2 itself, the original content created by ISI, and eventually there will probably be only a handful of mods that will really interest me. Same as in rF.

It's $13 f*^%#n dollars a year! How can anyone possibly complain?!?!

10. F1lover

F1lover Registered

Ok well if Lasercutter is on your side so am I ;)..

A quick question then... will the multiplayer be avail for private use beyond the 1 yr subscription???

11. yifter

yifter Registered

Yeah, F1-S-R, never used a mod of your group, which obviously means nothing. But wouldn't you agree: a not so small amount of content in mod's is converted, or reused, or otherwise made from a 'template'.

In your first post you stated, that ISI is going to make money from the work of modders. That's not true.

Now you are shifting to another point: modders should be able to use the online services for free. I for one think that's a good idea. But there will be some problems involved, in terms of organising this. Just like the volume-licenses of Windows, for instance.

12. maatriks

maatriks Registered

No, multiplayer is possible only trough matchmaker, even LAN connections have to go trough there. No direct-IP connection as well.

btw, Tim, if you read this, consider making some kind of FAQ, people are asking the same questions in 100 topics.

13. cloudXXI

cloudXXI Registered

Yes, of course. It has always been this way. Thanks to modders, people bought rfactor1 and ISI made money.

And thanks to ISI, modders have a friendly sim to work in.

That´s the deal.

Now ISI charges for online gaming also.What´s the difference?

14. F1lover

F1lover Registered

Wow.. "..

15. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

Well David, ISI is a modding based sim, and as you may or may not know,
    it is what kept rF alive and kicking so long, when is the last time you drove an ISI produced car online, or offline for that matter.?
    we are not saying rF2 material will suck, i'm sure it's leaps and bounds better than what was released in rF.
    and if ISI made everything i wanted to race, I would be happy, but it's not going to happen.
    I just hope your not here to say modders are useless, and if we don't like it go away.?

16. David G Fisher

David G Fisher Registered

No, what I am saying is that modders didn't ride in and rescue rF from a quick death. ISI came up with an idea that enough people liked, and were willing to try. It worked. They could of done it another way though, and still been successful. Modders shouldn't forget that. And yes, I have driven ISI cars online at R2P in recent years. Modders always have the option to open their own business and charge for their work. If it's good enough, and they do all the things businesses need to do in order to be successful, then they will make some money.

17. SeKa

SeKa Registered

We all have to agree all this points, but most F1lovers friends. Because we all discuss in principle this point in the moment, which is true. Therefore I think is the name of the child wrong. Because, what ISI wants to reach is maybe just a important point for us too. Only in this form and version maybe it will be not accepted like as desired.

And i am afraid, that we will lose to many substance in the whole community at the point of online subscription after a year. For me as league admin essential point, which i have to handle, and can only hope, that enough content is realized.
    Much people that looking for sims have not a idea about rFactor or ISI. This is our work, to arrive with this people some aim. Bring them to this community, for all keep them in it. Only the platform is given as tool. ISI have to notice this point seriously to.

But i think Gjon has the experience and the charm, to do this well. I hope so, we can only hope so...

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 4, 2011
  18. yifter

yifter Registered

That's my fault. Sorry tor that. Maybe I should try then some of these mod's.
    That doesn't mean a thing. No one is forced to use modded content. People like to use it. That's because there are modding groups, people like to try something new. You didn't answer to my sentence that some of the modded content is reused content in reality. Is that true? You are in a modding group, I think you can answer that.
    If it pisses you off, don't do it any more. Why would you do something for someone if get no reward? I repect the modders for their work. I'm with you on the free access to Multiplayer for modding groups.

19. CheeseSandwich

CheeseSandwich Registered

Where would ISI draw the line as to what modder, or group would get the free access? All of a sudden everyone playing this game could become a modder in theory. ISI just give's a pass to all who contribute a mod to the community? Maybe the top 10% get a pass based on what mod is used the most? I don't know.

I for one am glad that there are people around the world that take their time to give us their interpritations of what they love to do. To me, the modders of this game. Or any game that has been modded make's it more worthwhile.

20. Slimjim

Slimjim Registered

it's too early in the game to say how modding will even be done or distributed for rF2.
    i guess we will see in 6 months or so..