RFactor 2 Graphic Engine

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rikus, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Rikus

Rikus Registered

2. unrealnoise

unrealnoise Registered

Shift 2 = gmotor 2
    rFactor 2 = gmotor 3

Shift 2 = popular game
    rFactor 2 = sim fans

Shift 2 = big money (high income)
    rFactor 2 = small money (small income)

Shift 2 = many, many people work.
    rFactor 2 = few people working on it.

3. GeraArg

GeraArg Registered

The problem with these graphics is to put 45 cars (or more) on track...
    :)

4. xTr3me

xTr3me Registered

with good multicore support it isn´t a big problem anymore^^

5. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

multicore cpu's do not help you with the graphics.
    even 8 cores with 8 GHz each would not be able to render rFactor 1 with >20 fps!

"Shift 2 = gmotor 2"
    Shift does not use isi gmotor!

6. Spacekid

Spacekid Registered

Don´t compare EA with ISI. Big mistake!

7. unrealnoise

unrealnoise Registered

I think it uses. :p

8. CordellCahill

CordellCahill Registered

Oh my, I've never had reason to complain about rF graphics, but Shifts graphics look amazing.

9. numetalbizkit

numetalbizkit Registered

This. Some of us still remember NASCAR SimRacing...

10. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Not quite... physics engine - yes, but not gfx engine. I think, EA/SMS has their own, which looks great btw without all that fancy stuff like motion blur etc.

11. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

Why should we not compare?

Its a known issue that EA is selling **** for much money, and then upgrading it year by year.
    They do not care about product quality and support, as long as they do enough marketing, the mom's, dad's and kiddies out there will buy millions of their copies before they start to learn how crap that is.

In my eyes , ISI is the pearl in a field full of ****!

We got several features implemented.
    We go tons of supportquestions answered.
    We got tools which helps making mods.
    A platform which is valid for almost 6 years now, in this time EA released 6 fifa games, 6 NHL games, 6 NBA games, 6 footballmanagers, and wanted 50€ for each, and so on.
    We got ~6 patches, extra cars, tracks, features, Lienz which other companies would sell as a 30€ addon.
    Gjon reactivated hundreds of trymedia renewals to help when it was needed.

There are still much things with wich i disagree or which i think are still missing, of course, but in the end we re on the right site here.

Any doubt that rf2 will kick ass? None!

12. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

OK. Let's start a flame :)

They do not provide support because they release new product each year instead. And each next one is better (I'm not talking about physics)

ad1. yes. true, as well as other titles. But still missing important features or fixes for a few screwed up (without any support)
    ad2. And tons unanswered. Lack of documentation etc.
    ad3. Realy? which tools? Maybe AIW editor. All other tools are build by community.
    ad4. Depends what does 'valid' mean. The platform is currently outdated. That's why we all waiting for rF2.

Hmm. Updates for GT5 or NFS:Shift was for free IMO.
    However EA does great job. They know how to make money and satisfy their customers.

Currently (after 2 years waiting and a few WIP screens/videos) I doubt in this. Or maybe using other words: I'm going to afraid of other competitors on simracing market (iR or nkPro), watching how fast those products are growing.
    BUt I still hope.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2011
  13. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

You 'd better stay with EA instead.
    What do you want here in that forums?

Knowing how to make money is one think, thinking that your customers are fools, the other.
    I can count new features from Fifa 2000 to Fifa 11, on 2 hands. 11 releases, 11x 50€ and still bugs in all of them.
    i could continue, but its useless.

You d better drive nfs, or something similar.

14. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I just don't agree that cheaper (means bought once - used 5 years) is better. Otherwise I would stay with GPL.
    rF is great sim mainly thanks to community. Nothing more.

I cannot say 'thank you' to ISI for example for driver swap feature since it is f*** up and they left us without support, saying that will not be fixed in rf1 anymore.
    It was 3 years ago. That's why I would like to see rather new release a year bringing new features and bug fixes. And I'm ready to pay for it.
    But I suppose you wouldn't like it saying that ISI cheating you selling the same product every time.

And don't say me what I have to do. I'm racing rF because I like it. But I also see bugs it has, support problems (watch all unanswered questions), outdated gfx/sfx/phx engines and other issues. And I have no problem to say about it.

15. Max Angelo

Max Angelo Registered

I think the drivers swap feature in rF was never officially supported by ISI, so you can see the glass half empty, saying ISI didnt fix the issues related to the drivers swap, but also half full, seen for the most of the people the drivers swap is a nice implementation, even if bugged.

rFactor was supported by ISI for around three years, with the release of v1040, v1070, v1087 beta, v1150, v 1250 and the final v1255.
    Those free updates fixed bugs and added features, check the ReadMe.chm file for details.

But, i am not sure to understand ... you say rF is outdated but you ask for further updates?

ISI plan is different: to build a new sim taking advantage of the power of today CPU/GPU and of the rF experience.
    The goal is to release an up to date sim, able to entertain the users for many years to come.

You talk about iRacing ... iRacing project started in 2004, and the development required 4 years ... we have still one year and half to go au pair with them ... patience is a virtue :)

The support: Bee is doing an excellent job related to customers assistence/support, but not a duty of the programmers check the forum and reply to questions.
    IMO is very better they (3 people, not tenths of employed) spend their time developping rF2, rather than stay hours in the forum.
    The community by itself asks and replies to the modding questions, in a costant growing process able to create a very competent community.
    In some circustances, the creativity of the modders did open "new doors" in the engine.
    Hat off to the talented guys who offer a contribution to the community.

16. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Agree, but your post is a bit out of context.
    We are talking about 'why NFS:Shift has nice gfx; why rF can't have it'.

Answer is: because EA wants to make money each year, they must improve things (even if gaming mechanics looks same)

No.. I said that it is not exiting to me, that 5 years old product is still popular in community. I can list a lot of 10 yo (and older) titles which are still popular. but who cares?
    I am not against growing release number each year (as Gonzo is).
    I would like rF to be refreshing, lets say with a 1-2 year frequency, pay for it, and race it as up-to-date simulation.
    (I'm not talking about iR because I think thay sell alfa version of product for money. It's another story)

17. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

Hm why dont you ask those "unanswered questions" here in the board?
    Driver swap was never official supported and one of much "nice to have" features.
    outdated gfx, etc. i agree but thats a compromise, and rf1 was a good deal in 2005, even behind other games but its a simulator not a gpu demo.

"Its meant to be raced" ;)

you bought a copy for 35 bucks and not the soul of the company.

18. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

There are a lot my and other modders questions left without answer on this board. Just look around.
    Even if rF is 'modding platform' there is lack of documentation. Try to find some docs about shaders, materials, gmt format etc. And I know that modders are pissed off, because I'm talking with lot of them about 'never-ending reverse engineering'.
    Of course ISI's support is good. But I can't say it is 'a pearl'

Q for you and Max Angelo:
    Where can I find an info that it is not official supported feature. It has been implemented in rf 1.150 and fixed partially in 1.250. There is a note that there are still issues but no one say that is not supported feature. Finally some ISI member (I believe Gijon in some interview) said that this feature will not be fixed in rf1 but it will (is already) in rF2.
    At last, what does 'unsupported feature' mean in commercial product?

OK. Maybe for you it is enough to have black screen with while lines and physics behind it. Will not argue with this.
    But let us think that simulation is not physics, but also any thing that makes virtual world closer to reality.

Basicly I don't get a point of your posts
    You hate EA because they refreshing titles each year (even if noone force you to buy it).
    You love ISI because they does't (even if some one would want such attitude)
    Do you?

19. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

I do!

That is what we all bought:
    http://www.rfactor.net/features/

Everything else is "nice to have".

Its a simple choice, buy it, or do not buy it.

What do you think can you expect for 35 bucks?
    I did not said that i hate EA, but i disagree with their philosophy, they slightly refresh their games, keep up the pressure on the developer companies, they dont support titles, they do not care about storys which had fans since >15 years (Command and Conquer) they also do not care about cheaters and yeah, they sell slightly updates each year.

What i see here is a progress since the first release, i do not agree with all isi-things too, sure but here is one of the last places where you get more than what you paid for.

20. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

aarr!!! (throws his parrot)