Rfactor 2 future: Should we (or just I) be worried?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Christos Segkounas, Jun 28, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kokomo

Kokomo Registered

Not the same thing? Probably not exactly

Much closer to the real thing than any sim in the near future? Definitely

2. Christos Segkounas

Christos Segkounas Registered

You are right, they are not.
    They most certainly have less power,high downforce and understeery settings.
    And all you have to do is steer them around for the experience.
    And the new Radical is out.
    I said earlier I consider this a defining moment in evaluating which road Studio 397 want to be taking.
    I only drove it last night for 10mins before going to bed late at night and first impressions is that you cannot go wrong with it.
    It sort of pretends it wants to go on you by wiggling it's tale under throttle and steering input and then it almost corrects itself if you cannot.
    So preliminary judgement:I was right to worry and my fears are coming true.
    Feels pleasant to drive and all that but also it seems everyone, regardless of their level of experience can jump into one and start pushing immediately with no punishment.
    And I had just jumped into it from a long session at Le Mans 91 in the LMP2 where I was hanging on for dear life trying to stay off the walls.
    It took me a lot of time before I could find the confidence to push.
    You don't jump into a race car for the first time, any race car and go crazy in it.
    One of my favorite memories from this year's Le Mans was an Aston driver in quali getting into the car and waiting to go out.
    He sat there for 5 mins and I could feel his tension, I have felt it and I know what it's like.
    You listen to the other cars wizzing past on the straight with deafening noise and crazy speed and you are ready to lose your s****.
    It's when you get out on track and go round a few corners that you can release the tension and start doing what you know.
    There's a few cars that make me nervous even after acquaring experience of both the game and them.
    And they are not crazy fast, like the Megane Trophy II.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
    Jake Loewenstein and Mulero like this.
  3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

If a 225 BHP track day car isn't driveable, something's wrong. What exactly were you hoping for?

Dookie, kimikaze, Emery and 5 others like this.
  4. Christos Segkounas

I expected something that will go into a spin if you go full retard on it.
    You know, just like the real thing if you watch any of the actual real-world racing.
    And those are guys well prepared and with actually some talent.
    Where did I mention that the car should be undriveable?
    Has any of you guys managed to spin it yet?

5. demerzel

demerzel Registered

In all of your post.

Yes.

It's easier to drive from what I expected. Especial after the live stream. Where many of them spun out.

kimbo likes this.
  6. Christos Segkounas

So asking for a car that requires a thing called "car control" at the absolute limit and beyond, even at a bare minimum, is calling for undrveable cars?

Louis likes this.
  7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Even without doing stupid things with steering at Lime Rock Park, it's quite possible to lose the rear end (and spin!) in turn 3-4. If you try for excessive steering at other corners you can spin it again if you don't correct. No doubt it's pretty stable, and at higher speeds especially it's pretty easy to catch without lifting off the throttle at all, but that seems about right for a light car with plenty of aero and relatively low power. I can certainly imagine it's good for racing.

'Driveable' means you can jump in and start pushing. There's still a limit, and it can be crossed, but especially when you've just done laps in cars with 3-4x the power you might find it a little tame. This isn't even their SR8 car, let alone LMP2.

kimikaze likes this.
  8. Christos Segkounas

OK, we'll probably have a server set up tonight so the boiz can put it through it's paces and I will talk with my mates to see what they think of it.

9. Georg

Georg Registered

The part what is harder in real life are the g-forces, the shaking, the higher steering forces and the fear for your health.
    That are the only reasons why you can do same lap time one handed and smoking while someone in real life needs all his skills.

And this race and sports cars are pretty easy to drive in real life. Not on the limit but nobody of us will get there anyway.
    Same for rF2. Most of us aren`t even on the limit of the car. You think you`re fast? there is always someone suddenly going 5 tenths faster.

Kokomo and Gerty like this.
  10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

@christos_Swc Make sure you rev it out. It's hitting peak power after 10k RPM (limit is 10750), if you're shifting early it'll feel a bit limp.

11. Christos Segkounas

Yes, it's easy to make the mistake of short-shifting in this car with such a high reving engine.
    But when you are pushing the car these things you tend to pay attention to and do right.

12. CamiloNino

CamiloNino Registered

What do you mean? They are usually bought out of auctions former F1 teams have, so they are original F1 cars, some of them with the engine replaced, but some still have F1 spec engines, obviously not mapped for full power, but still powerfull enough. The ones with replaced engines are still around 600BHP, plenty to make it hard to put your throttle down, and are still driven by regular people.

What makes F1 drivers an elite is not the ability to drive the car, is the ability to be the fastest while driving the car.

13. F1Aussie

F1Aussie Registered

I was losing it in three spots on every lap at cadwell until I changed the set up and my driving. Found it easy to lose it

14. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I took it to Atlanta with its elevation changes and endless corners and I had to be careful with throttle input and regularly adjust my steering to keep from spinning out.

15. Cote Dazur

Cote Dazur Registered

Exactly, driving any car, even bad one, like an old clunker with finished shocks and springs, is not hard.
    Any sport car is very easy and nice to drive, firm and planted. The only challenge is getting a good pace, that is when you need work and knowledge. Of course anyone can brake too late or accelerate to hard and too early, but most cars in so called SIM, behave like you are driving on snow, can be fun but not representative of what happen on dry pavement with a sport car on modern tyres.
    Driving a "SIM" in VR puts a lot of the veracity of the driving in perspective. With the 3D vision giving you a sense of speed and the ability to look at the apex, it is all more natural, if you are loosing the car as if you were on snow, you instantly know it is not accurately representing real driving.

16. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Well if you set the car up to be fast,it really does warrant car control,but if you stick with the understeering baseline,it's very easy to drive

demerzel likes this.
  17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

As long as existing quality sim cars in Rfactor 2 are not dumbed down I'm happy ,
    not that bothered about any new car additions now
    (Unless they follow the same quality & depth + theme in difficulty of previous ISI offerings)

If 397 simply continue to performance optimise rf2 & perhaps add the odd quality track release then that's great
    -Nola is top quality produced by 397

Not much hope in 3rd party mods -but no doubt some positive surprises will come along , there's a few good ones existing

Then simply join a good league

Kelju_K and Louis like this.
  18. bwana

bwana Registered

Apparently to race without blowing the donk it's suggested to change at 8500/8750 rpm. Which would certainly tame them a bit and force short shifting. Haven't had time to drive yet but certainly looking forward to it

19. Louis

Louis Registered

I think the lack of g forces would made harder to drive in a sim in the limit then in real life (if you take out the risk of an accident)
    Remember older Isi days when was often people complaining about "driving on ice" feeling, i think the corvettes, f1 marussia, f12012...?
    Usually we saw the similar mods (thirdy party, more grip) online not "the originals".
    I was especting if the discussion was about if people feels that too, if this is really happening and or if this is the right thing to do. I think thirdy party mods always can do "the real stuff", but i don´t know about makings changes in the core code afect the ability to mod.

20. Louis

Louis Registered

I don´t think so

demerzel and F1Aussie like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.