rFactor 2 Developer Q&A

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Mar 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theother5

theother5 Registered

I've always struggled with this too in the F1 v-cockpit and to the extent that I've set one mirror to best suit my needs and forgot about the other totally .... kinda of a bad compromise.

In DTM mod. I use just the rearview and never bother with the sides ...

Perhaps I need to delve deeper into the files to edit the parameters a little ...[ much to learn still for me!!!]

2. sg333

sg333 Registered

OK this screenshot was bugging me so i did some digging.... this track is Palm Beach Raceway in Florida, and what i have circled here im 99% sure are the timing boards at the end of the drag strip

[​IMG]

I hope im not reading too much into that...

3. Lazza

Lazza Registered

I guess we can't rule anything out... but, if a real-life track had a skateboard ramp sitting prominently next to a corner, and that was modeled, it wouldn't mean rF2 will include a skateboarding simulation... :)

4. shum94

shum94 Registered

5. Francesco H.

Francesco H. Registered

6. bokoboko

bokoboko Registered

Any dev to answer my questions pls?
    I made my questions many days ago and no answer...(again..)

7. F1 2004

F1 2004 Registered

This week is boring.

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

There have been a lot of unanswered questions... the 'Developer Q&A' in the thread title is actually in the first post. They said they'd welcome more questions and would try to answer them, but I guess sometimes actually working on the game is more important than answering questions about it.

As for your question, which is all about how the FFB is, how good it 'feels', how is someone supposed to answer that? As you've pointed out Tim (I think) said it feels so much better he finds it hard to drive in rF1 now - what other information do you want?

(I'm serious... how do you describe FFB?)

Really, this sort of thing is something we'll find out when it's released... and because lots of people have their own ideas, no matter how 'good' it feels to some there'll still be a number of third-party plugins to 'fix' it...

9. bokoboko

bokoboko Registered

i see ur point..

but i didnt see any mentions about feeling except that ur talking about and noone is interesting about the feeling.I mean cmon,are u serious guys? The first thing is the feeling-physics.
    I saw many ideas thougts questions about graphics..hd photos etc.

I just dont want to see rfactor 2 not having at least a good feeling etc.I dont want to be disapointed cause i find dificult to keep up with any sim out there..
    Anyway i think they can give us some info.At least did they try it to make it very good or just an ffb that when i go over kerbs my wheel will go nuts and everyone is happy?
    I mean i want to feel weight transfer,when i lock wheel has to be lighter etc...
    I want to know cause no matter how good graphics,sounds will have i want to feel all that.If i cant feel the road,the weight of the car when has traction or when it looses it whats the point?
    I hope they work on it and took it seriously as the graphics etc.
    I still want some info if they can give us.
    Thanks

10. Lazza

Lazza Registered

The other info I've seen is them saying it's much more 'direct'. So think more in the direction of Realfeel etc; fewer 'canned' effects and more actual feedback of what the tyres are doing.

The reason no one's talking about it is we can't judge it until we feel it. Screenshots are, obviously, some indication of what it will look like... but we can have Tim (or someone else) on here describing how it feels, even putting up videos of someone driving in rF2 and describing or showing (sort of) what the FFB is doing, but it's still not going to tell you or me how it actually feels. So while "it's better" or "it's more direct" doesn't really tell us a lot, I can't see there's all that much more that we could be told.

What's interesting for me is that there was huge interest in RealFeel when it came out, and LeoFFB similarly, but a lot of what people describe feeling can actually be captured with the default FFB, albeit with a bit of parameter tweaking to suit. But RealFeel uses the Steering Arm Force (which rFactor calculates and uses as part of its FFB) and LeoFFB uses Pacejka; which, I'm sure I saw somewhere, ISI made mention of in their rFactor material along the lines of "an improvement on Pacejka". How much that translates to FFB I'm not sure, but it does mean LeoFFB (Pacejka) might not actually reflect what the tyre model (non-Pacejka) is doing, which would have to affect its purpose somewhat. (think Mario Karts with Pacejka FFB - the FFB might feel great but it doesn't correspond to what the game is actually doing. Obviously I'd like to think rFactor's modeling actually improved upon Pacejka, in contrast to the Mario Kart example :) )

So, I think we just have to wait and see. And presumably there'll still be a number of parameters you can adjust to get it closer to where you might want it, if the default doesn't suit.

11. shum94

shum94 Registered

What Sup, It's friday !

12. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

O, rly? Oo

13. DeDios

DeDios Registered

Tonight Disco? :D

14. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Why did you answer him if he answered himself? :confused:

Besides we cannot be 100% sure if it was actually a question - maybe he's just greeting everyone on fridays? ;)

15. theother5

theother5 Registered

One less Friday until rF2 eh?

16. shum94

shum94 Registered

Exactly lol
    It's just i'm in a very good mood on fridays, and i'd be even more with some updates.

Some would say it's best to publish stuff when i'm in good mood :p

17. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

The guys have said they'll do some if they have time, but I'm certainly not pressing them for those, all things considered.

18. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Noted. ;)

19. Hutch-SCO

Hutch-SCO Registered

Back to some ingame questions, some guys mentioned wanting the ability to be able to force graphic settings on the server, do you know if we will have any options to do this tim.

I was thinking of the weather options, if its raining the spray of the car in front will slow you down as visualy you won't be able to see the track as clear, if the weather detail is adjustable it means someone on the lower end pc will be seeing more than the guy using the highend spec pc.

20. Pandamasque

Pandamasque Registered

+1 same goes with all special FX such as smoke, dust etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.