rFactor 2 demo content

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by RaceDoedel, Oct 8, 2015.

1. RaceDoedel

RaceDoedel Registered

I have full version of rfactor2 since ages, but I want to try the demo.
    rf2 is my favourite racing sim ever !

So I tried the demo to check if others (potentiell customer) can enjoy it.

I installed the demo, set the video config, adjust some of the controller settings for my wheel and leave everything to default.
    Just pressed "Race".

In this race a had a AC Cobra. The other cars are: Karts, Formula Renault and some Cobras :confused:
    One of the karts drives into a Renault in the pits and goes under it !
    Some others cars crashes into this "couple" :D

I don't think that this mixed field is a good combo ! I know how to change it. I already have rf2 since some years, but for a new customer
    this impression could be very negative :rolleyes:

I my opinion is demo content not very good for a demo. Atlanta is a good track, but to strange to test cars. To difficult for a renault, AC or a kart.

A perfect demo would be: Portugal with Nissan GT-R and the Formula Renault. Most racers like GT cars or / and formula cars.

The reason why I tested the demo is: I was disappointed that most of the public MP servers are empty :(
    So I want to figure out what is the impression of new customers of rf2.

So ISI: Please rethink your demo content before releasing a demo to Steam !
    The first impression is the MOST important one. So invest some time, think about good default settings and a good combination of cars and tracks for
    a demo.

Most others race sim players are saying: rf2 is horrible, because you have to setup so many think to run in a proper way.
    Thats not my opinion. Not more. One year ago, I left rf2 because it was to hard to find a good setting (video, ffb etc).
    I drove one year assetto corsa. Since two month I am back to rf2. I bought the lifetime license and I am very happy now,
    but I spend a lot of time in investigation and learning.

In Steam its easy to reach many people, but these people are not willing to spend much time in a "test run". If the first impression is bad, they say good
    buy and leave a bad comment / rating in Steam.

I really want to see more and more racers in rf2, because its really the best sim on the market.

Just my two cents.

2. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Not sure how many would do that, and have the race you did. :)

3. Terence Groening

Terence Groening Registered

Thanks for the report. Yeah, we noticed this random collection of cars recently as well; I'm not precisely sure when it got broken but future builds should be fixed.

4. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Yep, got the demo again to check if something was wrong with my PC (waiting Steam to be able to buy it) because AC 1.3 had some serious performance issues here and I agree, the car selection is not good. And tbh since it's a demo go for something more mainstream instead of the Cobra ;)
    The mirror is something that should be possible to take a look in the demo too (already asked about it on Twitter). If we can reduce that resolution would be possible to go for a bit higher settings in other stuff.

5. stonec

stonec Registered

I reckon people complained when the demo had Corvette C6R and Lime Rock Park, also when it had FR3.5 and Silverstone. I don't know what content people expect from a demo. Now it has one of the latest released cars and tracks, which is good for demonstrating the most up-to-date technology.

6. unknwn

unknwn Registered

I agree on with the OP regarding demo content. Cobra is quite hard to handle alone, putting it on Atlanta (which I find one of the most frustrating tracks until you learn the layout) can result in underwhelming experience for someone who is new to sims or isn't a "hardcore" player. From what I have seen quite a lot people also didn't find FR3.5 enjoying (mostly because of weak ffb feedback and very "slidish" handling which means hard). Majority of people testing the demo won't fiddle with values or research why they aren't happy for hours. Demo should be able to provide enjoying experience out of the box if you want people to get hooked up.

7. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

Megane's on Portugul,especially if the megane were to be updated soon, that would be one good choice on the demo.

8. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Where are the free AC and pCars demos ? ;)

I suggested rF2 should sell a $10 month online trial just like iRacing.

Give them the real experience with people willing to help out in rooms with setups and settings.

Anyone buys it would get a $10 credit.

Seems like a win /win to me.

Tim already told me it is not on the cards.

I think the majority out there online every night for a month would pick it up, even some offliners.

9. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Have you ever managed or run a business, Durge? Goodness.

I don't see why not have a historic car (Brabham) and track (Monza or Spa), a current GT and fast open-wheeler (Corvette GT2 and 2014 Indycar) and current track (Indianapolis). A taste of everything and no issue of very specific track like AMP that can be so off putting.

10. dylbie

dylbie Registered

I know it's not an ISI product, but stick the option of putting the 3 ASR 1991 F1 cars in it, and watch the sales boom.

Some motorsport fans will like modern GT cars, some motorsport fans like old 60s F1 cars or the Cobra. But EVERYONE loves F1 of the late 80s/early 90s. Throw in the ability to play the part of Senna in his final championship year and Mansell's famous red 5, then add the Ferrari V12 screamer, and you're onto a winner!

I realise it's probably not an option to have a 3rd party mod in a demo, and Mr Ecclestone probably would get his lawyers to send a letter, but the appeal and attraction would be huge.

11. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Actually I have started my own company in fire protection, owner driver trucks and courier and I was night-manager of a pub. :p

They are moving to Steam, iRacing had a Steam promo 3 months for $10, only a few cars and 1 track ( much like the rF2 demo )
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/266410/

At least you could be reasonable about it and weigh up the pros and cons.

What is so wrong with the idea ?

Even if they made no profit from it, no worse then the demo is it ?

You could still keep a free offline demo.

Tim never said it was a bad idea.

12. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

The bad idea is forcing a price point for a demo. Not having a demo is BS but at least now, with Steam finally being forced to provide minimal customer care, people can request refunds. Creating an unnecessary barrier to the customer is a mistake and even iR has numerous free trial offers people can try.

rF2's demo must be configured to offer the best experience out of the box, alongside content to display the capabilities of the software. Real Road set to progressing or to high rubber from the test team if available, for example. All games should do that. R3E is still incredibly clunky and will remain far away in the world for me in some part due to that. DiRT Rally was a huge letdown and I spent 70% of my time fiddling with menus and controls to get things working and 30% frustrated the hype wasn't real.

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

I just think ISI deserve better is all they are up against it for a start.

The others don't give away "freebees"

However misguided when it is wrong to suggest a hypothetical / idea so ISI might make a little more money to help along the way is a sad day......... :)

P.S.
    It is always the AC/pCars type fanboys run the demo are the first to mouth off..................why not make them pay $10 for the privilege. hehehe

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2015