rFactor 2 Car Setups

Discussion in 'ISI cars and tracks' started by B1K3R, Aug 31, 2012.

1. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Car: FR3.5
    Mod Version: 104
    Track: Mills outer loop C
    Best time: 1m28.783
    Notes: Setup I found at Racedepartment.com originally by Tomasz Matuszewski, I have made some tweaks. High Downforce package is best here.
    Game Build: 107

Here is my setup for Mills Outer Loop C, its the same setup as I use for Portugal with a slight change in gear ratio's and you should use High DF package rather then medium. Lap times wise I get pretty much the same times with medium and high downforce packages but high downforce is much easier to drive here with the larger rear wing. My best lap with a bit of rubber down is 1:28.783 could take another second off that I think with a better lap.

That lap was in a long session part of a full fuel run of 49 laps lol wanting to test if tyre wear is having any effect, the hotlap was overwritten so not sure which lap it was so I wont make a video of that lap. It was also my first time on the track so I thought id do a full fuel run to learn it but didnt need that many laps really. The chicane and next tightening corner are quite tricky to get perfect so you can easily gain or lose .5s at either corner.

I dont think tyre wear is implemented yet as it had no negative effect as my lap times after 45 laps once the fuel load burned down were only a few 10ths slower then with new tyres. Motec shows tyre wear at 50% on all four wheels by the end but performance wasn't reduced much if any. Overheating can be a big issue but wear doesnt look to be working yet in v 107 going by my longest ever run test. I was actually quite a bit slower the first couple of laps after with new tyres due to cool tyre temps compared to the warm ones at the end of the long run. Over the long run my theoretical best lap (motec eclectic) was 1:26.134

Here is a lap with just a little rubber (9th lap with 8AI @100%) down of 1:29.614 with a couple little mistakes but still better lines then my fastest lap on a rubbered track. Motec reports it as 1:29.491 but track is slightly short in the motec map.

2. Whykonen

Whykonen Registered

Formula 2 @ Mid Ohio no chicane
    Notes: Lower aero as you like. It's pretty high now and stable, but AI beating.
    Best times: 1:12:xxx (1:11 is possible)

View attachment midohiof2.svm

3. juggle

juggle Registered

Nice one with the stickiness,being a parent with young child stickiness should be natural too you :)

Any chance we could have the setups at the top of the post?

4. Godfather

Godfather Registered

Have anyone more Setups for the Formula 2?

5. Voltaic

Voltaic Registered

Yes please :)

6. biotech

biotech Registered

Brake balance is 60% to the rear. It's some kind of a joke? :)

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Though my times are not much faster than I am with the default setup, the car does feel better with your setup John.

8. victorovich

victorovich Registered

9. flitzi

flitzi Registered

I think it would be great if people would say what they think was the most important change(s) they made compared to the default setup and what they tried to achieve with that. Would help other people a lot when trying to create own setups.

10. tjc

tjc Registered

Yes, this would be quite interesting indeed and informative. :)

11. SCampbell

SCampbell Registered

FR 3.5 Setup

Here is my Mills Long setup for the Formula Renault. Its a hotlap setup, it can be easily adjusted to a race set.

View attachment 4116

I did a 1:23.8 on the outer loop B layout.

View attachment 4117

12. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Will give yours a try, I have tried a setup from another site and got down to 1:11.7 but the AI at 120% were just a touch quicker still getting 1:11.4 in the practice session I ran. I will see how yours compares to that one but the other setup I was able to pass AI down the straight so likely lower aero in that setup.

edit: Oh just noticed that was no chicane and I was running with the chicane ;) I will try your setup and post the other here if I still find it quicker.

Tried your setup much more stable and consistent then the other setup so thanks, I did 1:11.33 with the other and 1:11.02 with yours. Im surprised the chicane is only about .8 slower here with the f2's maybe less. Able to brake much later and even though you have higher downforce its only about 1.5kmh slower at the end of the straights.

Here is the motec file for my laps (they are a little quicker in motec as the track is a bit short there for some reason) both your set and the other I was using which I got from here http://www.racedepartment.com/forum/threads/formula-2-mid-ohio-with-chicane.56796/#post-1262237

Ive also added motec data from the chicane version and Whykonen setup of a 1:11.71 lap maybe someone clever enough can tweak the setup to get a bit more out of it. The chicane lap is better then the 2 no chicane laps I think.

I did try a few more laps without the chicane and got in a pretty good lap for me a 1:10.417 with a bit of rubber down, I've added the motec and a replay.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2012
  13. oneill875

oneill875 Registered

View attachment 4122 F2 2012 Croft Practice lap setup with a soft rear. 111.252 but could go faster ;)

14. martymoose

martymoose Registered

Thanks nice setup did 1:09.10 with your setup, I wish I knew how you guys do these, all my attempts at setups have sucked pretty bad compared to nearly everything I have tried by others posted here.

Not sure why you call it a qual setup as I can do my fastest laps at the end of a full run on fuel, only change needed to turn this from qualy to race is add fuel lol.

The setups not exactly stable but pretty quick and still quite managable, main issue with it are through t1 if you go in with too much pace the back end will just come loose and you either lose a stack of time about .5 here or lose it all together if you are in too hot.

Through the second sector the setup is at its best going hard and deep into t3 or the right hander after the second straight. Then through the left right right section its easily flat and no need to cut too much. Then the next double right hander I enter pretty fast in 3rd and get on the gas early with a perfect entry it can be flat out and shifting up up tp 4th between the 2 corners.

Next left I brake late into 3rd and keep some power on then brake hard into 2nd for the tight right hander. This section is a complete bi&$ on this setup as the back end wants to get away from you all the way into braking for the final hairpin left. And this one you just need to wait for ever before getting the power down.

The 2 issues with your setup are likely more to do with the contrasting corners on this track and its one of those you just need to drive around the issues I think and if you get a stable car through those parts it will likely hurt you more through the high speed second sector.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 4, 2012
  15. Gambero

Gambero Registered

thanks guys, really useful thread

16. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

You guys are fantastic in supplying your setups for the rest of us to try, unfortunately, they are not helping me at all, lol. I still can't beat the AI at 100% with my lap times of 1.15.9XX.

17. artonsennathebest

artonsennathebest Registered

the setup is ok, but nothing special.
    but your driving is excellent!

18. martymoose

martymoose Registered

I went online at Ohio in the F2 and what I thought was fairly quick was 3 seconds off the pace lol, the guys were doing 1:08's apparently the best lap by them was a 1:07 high with the chicane. There was tons of rubber down more then I have ever seen and I got down to 1:10s a second faster then before but still well off the pace.

I added a bit more front wing as the pushiness of the setup was definitely hurting me but as I was a second faster then the AI I thought Id live with it until I realized how far off the pace I was lol. Its still a great setup to learn the track and then you can loosen it up a little as you go, I did get a couple of setups from one of the guys doing 1:09's but I didn't really get the hang of it in the 15 minutes I had with it but it lacked any feel. He did say it needed 3 laps to warm it up but it was very lose and no wheel feel at all for some reason and it has more wing but the complete lack of feel makes it like driving with no FFB on my g25 which I found very hard to adjust to. I will see if I can mix something between the 2 as I really didn't like the extremely light steering through all corners flat out or 100kmh.

I still managed to win a race by over a lap though as the others couldn't put 2 laps together at that pace and some bizarre crash happened on the grid at the end of the warmup lap taking out the 2 fast guys ;)

So basing my pace against AI was a bit of a drawback and I was expecting guys a second or so quicker but never expected them to be going that quick. Big drawback of going that pace is you cant race AI at all as they would be 5 seconds ahead of 120% AI on that track in the same car. Pretty sure if you forced that setup on the AI they wouldn't be able to keep it on track either as its a pig but fast if you manage to tame it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2012
  19. Can you post your current setup martymoose?

20. Minibull

Minibull Member

Well I just did my first race with 120% AI round Mid Ohio (no chicane). I reckon I've pretty much got the track sussed, just now getting a bit more confidence in the last sector.

Something is lacking with the AI though on this track, I pissed on them. Started from the back, got to the front in 4 laps and then lap after lap, I was getting quicker and quicker. Ended the final lap with a 1:10.468. Still reckon theres a wee bit more to go.

Thanks Whykonen for the setup, just needed a wee bit of tweaking on my end with brakes and downforce.