rFactor 2 Build 906 Now Available!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

used auto update (which worked fine) to new build earlier & used it for 4hrs, open wheelers only on Lime Rock 2.0
    points below : ( ran to single monitor & missed the last build so updated from one before last )

-New selection box looks very nice & up to date
    -graphics/shaders etc look super & stability / performance seems rock solid no problems
    -there's no HDR profile selection now (or is that just me -I use to leave it on auto anyhow so no problem) it's blacken out but pretty sure HDR was working fine
    -I couldn't hear spotter still ( think I read somewhere that someone else could)

I also copied & pasted in the new ffb commands into my ffb profile & reloaded it in rf2, I set it to 15 (as that the peak of my servo ....think I've done the right thing there?)
    but not sure if I've screwed something up as ffb felt all strange -when VR implementation gets closer I'll redo a ffb profile to suit by wheel no problem, the ffb of rf2 is totally top notch (with a compatible settings for my ffb system)

I usually do a total scrub & re-install but didn't this time & didn't delete any old shader files etc (not sure effect of this)

------------------------------

a new build is always nice although rf2 right now suits only those with a lot of patients right now,
    be great to see all other content revisited/updated & perhaps these core/shaders looked upon as now pretty much complete ( any future updates if any are released with updated content ) rain visual effect updated too
    In-sim UI updated to match new intro box selection
    (my in-sim UI is same as previous I think this is correct)
    be great if many of the .ini ( or json or what ever they are called now) could be in an "advanced" page of the UI
    ( dare I mention is there any chance of reducing the dreaded plugin delay period of time to maybe 5 seconds)

-------------------------

I actually really like the graphics of rf2 & to me are at totally modern standards
    ( Lime rock park onwards I know some of the older stuff & 3rd party tracks do look atrocious ) when the dynamic nature of this sim is considered its mind blowingly advanced, a UI overhaul / updated content will really make this sim arrive

I hope this is decent feedback

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014
  2. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I'm experiencing a bug with the new launcher.
    Only started happening yesterday.

It opens up just fine. SP and MP, dev mode, mod manager and everything else launches just fine.
    However, if I quit the launcher, and then later try to open it again, it simply won't open anymore.
    It simply doesn't respond when I click my shortcut to open it, the process doesn't start.

I then have to restart my computer for it to start working again.

3. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

Thanks ISI! And now I have to complain about something that is really, really annoying. Or maybe I'm just too dumb to figure this out. Either way it's annoying.

Why...oh why do I have to set up my race settings from scratch every goddamn time I change the track? Is there a way to save my settings without having to load the track. Because even if I do, the settings will be wiped again anyways. So why bother.
    This has been going on since forever. Am I the only one having this issue or am I the only one who's being bothered by it?

4. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

When this happens, are you sure the launcher is actually closed? Next time, check in task manager > processes if rfactor2.exe or launcher is still active. It happened to me a few times so I couldn't start the game as "it was already running". I had to shut it down first. But probably a bug anyway.

5. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Sure, i can`t use HDR after B906, looks horrible to me.

6. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Only complains I have so far with the Launcher is the time it take to be launched the first time. I guess it have to check the Content in package folder so that explain, but I goes from instant launch with previous version to a 45 seconds wait now without knowing what is happening (but my HDD singing). Small complains as I guess this is mandatory... Perhaps a "be patient" message or the check made only if we click the "Content" button (with a "Be patient" message)?

7. Lgel

Lgel Registered

+1. I use legacy hdr profiles instead. Cheers.

8. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Thanks for your response. :)

That was my first thought as well, but the process ends just fine when I close the launcher. It isn't running anymore when the launcher then fails to start up the second time. Weird stuff.

9. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Do you have to set each and every race setting from scratch every time you change to another track? If that's the case then there's definitely something wrong.

I only have to set the weather, because sometimes there's a rain shower or a wrong cloud cover or something. Everything else is kept like I set it, number of AI, race length, starting time, rules etc.

10. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

--------

it never saves for me either (never has), if I cange track or a new session I have to set it each time
    it's never saved for me -it would be good if the settings stayed until changed again

11. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

anyone know why the HDR selection is greyed out? is this right
    (where we would change the HDR profile)

-I use to leave just set to auto anyhow , but not sure if this is correct or not?

12. Lgel

Lgel Registered

First you have to enable Legacy HDR in the display settings when you are on the track, then you leave the track and you come back on the track to choose the hdr profile you have made or dowloaded to the settings folder of this track. You exit once more the track, and when you return to the track you enjoy your hdr profile.

Why make things simple if you can complicate them?

Cheers.

13. Tuttle

Tuttle Technical Art Director - Env Lead

GRAPHICS
    ————-
    Modified scene post-gamma value to improve color balance.
    Ambient boost removed, no longer needed with improved scene gamma.
    Improved some HDR automation parameters.
    HDP files now deprecated and are disabled by default. HDP files can still be enabled via the plr file option ‘Enable Legacy HDR Profiles’.
    Removed specular floor value, which was causing incorrect highlights at night.

14. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

I'm amazed you have to set all these settings for each track every time you change.
    I have never experienced that... I wonder how come.

15. Tuttle

We're making things simple while you're going back to complicate them. What we're doing is a series of changes to normalize the HDR pipeline and get rid of major issues, this is why now the HDP profiles are a legacy feature. If you force the HDR profile you're bypassing our changes. The gamma adjustment is part of that process (which is not closed yet) as well for other HDR automation changes introduced in 906.

16. Ronnie

Ronnie Registered

So what you're saying is that HDR is going to get some major changes in the near future? If so then what exactly are you looking for to improve or change completely. Really interested in that. :) Thanks in advance for your response.

17. Tuttle

Our HDR is VERY robust so it doesn't need to be dropped or changed completely. Problem is we're using a full dynamic enviro and the amount of variables involved needs to be more normalized (automation was a first step in this direction) to work at his best in every condition. Latest changes are already working good so we'll keep working this way until we're 100% happy.

18. Racefreak1976

Racefreak1976 Registered

I'm talking about the weather settings here. Everything else is ok. It's just a pain in the rear to set up clouds, humidity and temperature everytime you change tracks. What's the point of setting humidity for every 5th or so part of the race anyway? I mean it may be nice to have for our swedish friends or people who enjoy going to the sauna in general, since you could basically go from 0% to 100% humidity in less than an hour. What is the point of this? This never happens anywhere on the planet except in saunas.
    It would be much better if you set a general humidity for the day and maybe a tolerance in which it may vary not more than 10% of the starting value perhaps. Changing humidity every 10 minutes just makes no sense to me. Same for temperature.
    Even better, if the temp and humidity would connect to clouds and rain. Drop temperature when it rains by 5 degrees or whatever feels realistic and vice versa.

19. McFlex

McFlex Registered

Still having purple artefacts at night. It isn't as bad as in the pervious build but still not good

View attachment 15279

20. Lgel

Lgel Registered

I don't want to complicate things, I simply found that with B906 I get a major over exposure of track and skies (Silverstone, Mid Ohio, Le Mans, Sao Paolo) that ruins the show for me.

After much changes to sort the problem, I made the effort to go back to B880 and the over exposure was not there at the new Limerok track were I tested.

So automated HDR will be the way when it will be sorted.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2014