rFactor 2 Build 798 Now Available

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Freddy3792

Freddy3792 Registered

Hope it will work for me as well. I am on auto update since build 240 and never had a problem and the 240 fresh install wasnt made because of and auto update problem.

2. headfake

headfake Registered

I updated from 660 using the updater. It appeared to work but if I press 'verify' I get a ton of failures. Haven't tried clean reinstall yet.

3. jkn87

jkn87 Registered

haven't tried this new build yet but last one i still have important visual bugs: if i am 5 metres or further more from an opponent's vehicle, that/those car/s are terribly bugged by an awful LOD in polys. i can see through them if i am 5 meters or more far away from them. if i am like 10 or 15 metres from them, then their wheels also dissapear (this canot be a LOD issue..this must be another thing cause it makes no sense to make wheels disapear no matter how far the opponents are) About shadows...what can I say? still same issue like always....

so i feel i'll better pass on this build until something is done in this issue. i stopped playing rf2 a while ago and i stick to GSCextreme for the moment.

to clarify, i always do FRESH INSTALL. uninstall EVERYTHING in root folder, my documents and wherever there is a rf2 folder and i have everyhthing absolutely MAXED up in graphical options.

4. Tony

Tony Registered

Just for future ref. Hex - looks like you've manually installed everything into your "Documents" folder (rather than the "default" install of data files installing into your Documents folder, & core files going into C:\Program Files..

So for you to do a clean uninstall after using: Control Panel\Progs & Features\rFactor 2\uninstall ..you just need to manually delete your rFactor 2 folder that's still left in your Documents folder (with the core & data folders inside it as your grab shows)

nb. never know why some uninstall progs clear pretty much everything up, while others leave folders behind that you have to get the dustpan & brush out for.. :eek:

5. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

A little doubt, if the software now runs at 64 bit, having a 64 bit win 7, must i install in 64 bit folder, "program files/rfactor 2" instead of "program files(x86)/rfactor 2"?

6. Miro

Miro Registered

Check your auto detail FPS settings.

7. nipzon

nipzon Registered

Same question

8. Tony

Tony Registered

Heh pay.. you got me wondering & I've just looked this up -

Quote: 32 bit applications are installed in Program Files (x86) but native 64-bit applications run in the “normal” Program Files folder. The x86 version is there for backwards compatibility so that you can run 32bit applications on a 64bit OS.

So I guess put it in the (x86) if you want to also run it as a 32bit app .. or put it in the"normal" Program Files if you plan to run it as a 64bit app..

9. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Thanks man, well, i guess i must reinstall.

Edit: where you get the quote? this must be a first line in readme/how to.

BTW it works perfect.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2014
  10. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I might be missing something...

Fresh Install is highly recommended by Tim.
    However people still try to auto update.

Do these people simply want to have problems and later report that something does not work or wtf is their purpose?

11. Minibull

Minibull Member

It says in the top few lines, auto update should work fine. I'm guessing for those who don't auto update, they shouldn't just install the fresh lite build over the top like they may usually do. They should grab their packages and data, wipe the sim and then fresh install with the new build.
    Changes to directories may leave a stack of old files hanging around, that's how I'm reading it.

12. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I didnt see it. Thanks.

13. Mulero

Mulero Registered

Fresh install, reinstalled mods and zero problems. Thank ISI, now to try .... :D

14. pay2021

pay2021 Registered

Backup the packages and userdata/settings folder, uninstall, erase the folder, then make a fresh install and just move back those.

15. hexagramme

hexagramme Registered

Okay man, thank you very much for your explanation of how to do a clean uninstall.

But deleting the rF2 folder would mean a loss of controller settings, car setups and all that jazz, right?
    I would have to back all that up first?

16. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

It is clear now. I just misinterpreted the first sentence of Tim. IMO it should read: Fresh install or Autoupdate is required. Leaving the autoupdate exception for the end of the post made me oversee it and I am not the only one from what i have read so far.

17. Tony

Tony Registered

Yea it would - so back up your Packages folder, & your UserData\Controller\..own controller settings .ini ..& finally your UserData\player\Settings\.. is this where the car setups go?!!

18. GrimDad

GrimDad Registered

Thank you ISI :cool:

19. V.A.

V.A. Registered

All perfect for me. Thanks.

20. Cracheur

Cracheur Registered

"recommended to not have duplicated or orphaned files everywhere" > this can be perfectly managed without re-install... it requires however some more work on the update mechanism...
    These days any commercial software should provide some proper update procedures that do not require any manual backup, copy and put back of files...
    Many people just want to get home, start their game..."ohhh cool, there's an update", click YES, play the game...
    Especially as rF2 is in "constant development", it would be a very nice move from ISI to get rid for once and for all of the update hassle...
    Actually rF2 is the only game I still play that does requires/advises fresh installs on regular basis...