REPLACED rFactor 2 Build 342 Released

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 88mphTim, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Hedlund_90

Hedlund_90 Registered

Guys... Read what Tim said in his firt post

Same settings is actually higher settings with this builds improvements. You guys need to lower your graphics settings. And you should still be able to have the same graphics quality or better than you had with build 300.

For the black artifacts, try to rebuild your shaders by deleted shaders folder in rfactor2/userdata/log. Or make a clean, fresh install of rF2.

2. Domi

Domi Registered

And read my full sentence.

And even reducing them...

3. Marvin Morgan

Marvin Morgan Registered

Don't know about anyone else but I'm getting some much welcomed improvements in performance with this build.

4. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

I did a new install (I posted before saying I had uninstalled and erased everything off my HD) and to be honest my performance is the same without HDR. HDR on caused a much bigger hit than before, so yeah. And I still, for some reason, cannot do the Look Behind by holding both look left/right buttons at the same time.

5. Domi

Domi Registered

This is weird, I turn reflections off but they are still there...

Edit: And when I come back to the main menu, sometimes it says "Low", sometimes "High"... lol.

6. RichFreed

RichFreed Registered

Anyone else experiencing this lately;

With each update (launched from the 'Launch rFactor.exe' startup program) it updates successfuly but then actually deletes the 'Launch rFactor.exe' file so my desktop shortcut no longer works until I restore a backup of said file!

7. Mydriaz

Mydriaz Registered

Auto update and install in less than 5 mns, All graphics settings to max, (only anti aliasing to Level 4) looks great with a good 55-65 FPS at Silverstone in 3D (GTX 770 4Go).
    Thank you :)

8. Lazza

Lazza Registered

As was discussed on page one, reflections 'off' reverts to the old style reflection system. So you can't turn them off completely, but they probably have a similar load to what they did in rF1 (ie very low).

9. Domi

Domi Registered

Well, the "old" system had 3 configurations... off, low and high, so which one is the current "off"?

10. Tortue G

Tortue G Registered

Hello, first, thanks for this build, I don't have tested yet (because at work :p ), but the improvements of the last "unstable" build was already impressives ;) !

about this:
    Is it since the build 300 or since the build 339? Because I had some (random?) loss of controllers or FFB with both builds last night and last week (related to Win 8.1?...), I use a DIY wheel (like Leo's FFB Wheel, with servomotor, but "french" project) with Windows standards drivers (like the Leo's wheel), and with Fanatec Clubsport based pedals.

11. Lazza

Lazza Registered

You'll need to ask someone who knows. I was just explaining why off isn't off.

12. UnitedRacingDesign

UnitedRacingDesign Registered

+1 and the colors really look great now, alot of improvments in many areas ive noticed.

13. Tosch

Tosch Registered

Here is my idea how the new reflection system works.
    To generate reflections the gfx engine has to calculate a second picture all around your vehicle (not only your field of view). This picture is used as an overlay on the car skin. With reflections set to high the gfx engine does this in "real time". For every frame a new reflection map has to be calculated.
    If you turn reflections off, the gfx engine only calculates an reflection image every 10 - 20 seconds, it is close to the static cube map used in rF1 and gives a good performance boost.

14. BazzaLB

BazzaLB Registered

Yep, same here. Quite a good improvement with reflections high. Build 300 gave me jerky reflections even on high but now they are smooth and performance with skippy at silverstone much much higher when at back of grid (stereoscopic 3D)

15. GCCRacer

GCCRacer Banned

The problem is: The new environment and road reflection OFF are graphically worse than the old LOW. So for people who used to run LOW (and I honestly could never tell the point of HIGH) it now means we get a static environment map jumping only every 10 second if we go to OFF. Or if we stay at LOW it has the same demand as the old HIGH which is too much. There is no way to have settings that are the same performance/quality balance as in B300.

And I too have black artefacts, after rebuilding shaders...

16. zack

zack Registered

i want no reflections,is there a hidden command for the *.plr or how can i turn it off ?

17. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Can I ask why you want none?

18. Some1

Some1 Registered

No reflections at all won't give you any more FPS, since sampling the cubemap in the shaders cannot be turned off.

There are dynamic reflections and static reflections. Dynamic reflections are the ones that get updated frequently, static ones do not get updated at all (or updated very seldom).
    Dynamic reflections cost FPS.

19. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

This moves responsibility to modders. I was hoping for something based on histogram rather than "manual" solution.

Interesting. Need to check it out.

By "old style reflections" he meant static reflections known from rF1. You could not turn reflections off in rF1.

I'm not sure if it's the case.
    Shaders in rF2 can get recompiled if you change shadow settings, so the same could be true for cubemaps ( shaders would be linked with empty function instead of cubemap sampling function ). So, there would be a possible benefit of turning reflections off completely, but it would be a minor benefit.

Of course, static reflections don't consume much GPU power, as you have said. Some memory for sure, but not that much ( unless track creator went bananas with reflection mappers :) ). Given that I don't see why anyone would want to get rid of reflections completely. No one complained in rF1 :)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2013
  20. stonec

stonec Registered

As far as I know it works for all current content. Don't ask me how, but I don't think it needs any special property set in the mod. Anyway this should make life of Tosch a bit easier :).