rfactor 2 beta video's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by SKeijmel, Jan 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tjc

tjc Registered

Great vid and driving indeed Esteve... and good defensive driving against the black and red car too, as you said.

Love the end with all you guys flashing your headlights.

:cool:

2. tjc

tjc Registered

A question for you video boys if you don`t mind.

Never made a vid but would like to learn... I did a couple of quite good laps (for me) in the 2012 F2 at Sebring, I wanted to record those two laps, just for fun, and post it up here but I can`t get fraps to record the complete two laps... it records a lap and a half or so in one file and the last 20 odd seconds of the second lap on another file.

:confused:

How do you guys record such long vids in one go as Esteve did up above? (9.m 33s)

And how do I change the driving views from cockpit to trackside for eg?

Is this done in video editing software?

Any tips would be appreciated. :)

3. osella

osella Registered

That's normal that fraps divides into several files 4GB each, even if it didn't you'd have to convert the recording because the recordings are HUGE (about 30MB/sec in 1080p) and they are special fraps codec.
    Download Virtualdub where you load the first file. Then select File->Append video segment to merge them. You can also cut off beginning/end of the whole vid there. Then just compress it. I use ffdshow video codec/h264 for full hd but theres plenty of options.

If you want to edit the vid more than just cutting you need vid editing soft such as vegas or pinnacle studio. I like pinnacle, it has more than enough options for me as I only ever do the most basic stuff like titles, mixing audio etc.

1 person likes this.
  4. tjc

tjc Registered

Ahh ok... at least I know fraps is working ok and that`s just how it does things.

I actually have VirtualDub so that`s a start anyway...

Many thanks for the info osella, that`ll get me started in the process. Where can I get the codec you mentioned, "ffdshow video codec/h264"

I believe Sony Vegas has to be bought? Does Pinnacle have to be bought too?

I`d certainly just be doing quite basic vids at first so maybe the more pro software could wait a while...

Cheers again for the info, appreciate it. :)

5. DrMabuse1963

DrMabuse1963 Registered

Mid Ohio , no Driving Aids : )

6. SLuisHamilton

SLuisHamilton Banned

Only the exagereted rubber trail on track.

7. martymoose

martymoose Registered

The 4GB file split is an old 32bit limitation, 32 bit file systems and operating systems can't access a file larger then 4GB so thats the reason for the split. Most video cameras do the same thing as most SD cards are still in FAT32 format, if you have a 64bit OS and file system then you can get fraps to create uncut files but this could cause other issues if your system is low on ram dealing with such large files.

If you add the files in order to your timeline sequence in any decent editing software it will create a single seamless file for you, you do still need to re encode this as the data rate is way too high to upload any raw fraps recording.

I use Adobe Premiere pro for all my editing but that's because I do a fair bit of real video work, for the basic game videos I post I could do this in any editing software really as I dont do more then just cut and re encode the vids with the odd overlay video but these are all easily done in any basic editing software.

I encode out at H264 MP4 2 pass HQ encode using my own preset to try and get the best quality I can for the final edit on yt, giving it 15Mb/s data rate which is overkill really but its what Ive found gets the best end results on yt for all my 1080p videos. The final data rate is only 4-6Mb/s on yt but if you uplad video at that bitrate it normally turns to $%@# once the yt encoder butchers it up a little bit.

8. martymoose

martymoose Registered

You have so much stuff on the screen id get confused trying to read it all lol, I cant even see my side mirrors and when I drive all I have is the middle mirror and lap time chart. I cant see cars to my side too well so I need to make sure Im fast enough nobody sneaks inside ;) Tricky on race starts but my track ir is playing up so im stuck as is because I prefer the lower fov and cockpit view.

Here is my F2 ohio lap which I have gone a little quicker since but not by too much. This is recorded from a replay file but its the same as I have when driving except for the Lap data and big middle mirror missing here.

After driving a few laps on a green track I actually prefer less grip but the side effect of racing AI is they leave their rubber all over the place lol.

9. tjc

tjc Registered

I can only thank you for the rundown martymoose... I do have a 64bit OS, W7 but I`ll be keeping things pretty basic for starters.

I`ll see how I go. :)

10. martymoose

martymoose Registered

No worries, if the file is split in 4GB chunks or not will have no actual result in your final video so keeping it simple is fine. I have 32GB of ram mostly due to my video editing needs as some things Ive done in the past used to grind to a halt when I only had 8GB but lots of ram is completely wasted if you dont actually need it or use any memory intensive 64 bit applications.

Gaming wise there are hardly any 64 bit games and so these are limited to the same 4GB memory limit as 32bit OS or file systems, and as long as you have enough ram for the OS and 4GB for the game you have more then enough on a gaming setup these days.

11. tjc

tjc Registered

Woa! That`s a lot of ram!

Only have 4GB`s of ram myself atm but I`m going to be upgrading the pc soon(ish) anyway with a better CPU and more ram... probably 8GB`s but possibly 16GB`s, I`ll see.

Should give me enough to do the stuff I want to at present and kick some ass in sim world. :)

12. Paul Loatman

Paul Loatman Registered

Here's a part of a 45 minute session i did in the FISI, very fast car, obviously, but it's hard to get used to. I think it's entirely because of the FFB, the car can be setup to be very stable, but there's still a lack of feeling. Either way, the video looks great, very realistic at max settings. I had Martymoose record the replay for me on his computer at max settings in 1080p.

1 person likes this.
  13. Rony1984

Rony1984 Registered

Very nice vid indeed!

14. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

can't see in Germany :(

15. Paul Loatman

Paul Loatman Registered

Ah, sorry. It must be the music, for some reason a lot of songs are not allowed to be used in Germany. I noticed that with most of my videos.

I'll upload another one without music soon. Thanks for letting me know.

Thanks!

16. tjc

tjc Registered

Cool video, nice to see the two views... good to see you behind the wheel driving, as well as the car.

Would you mind saying what music was used?

I really liked that piano used in the second part. :)

17. Paul Loatman

Paul Loatman Registered

I'm actually going to re-upload this because i noticed that some things that i know for sure that i edited in didn't get saved or something, one big annoying thing is the last session was out of sync part way through. I never noticed because i immediately started uploading after rendering, in hindsight i probably should have just watched it to make sure it was ok. Either way, i'm re-uploading as soon as i re-render it. Both with music and without for those in countries that can't allow the songs.

The first song was: 'Some Kinda Rush (Club Mix)' by Booty Luv

Second song was: 'Fly' by Ludovico Einaudi

I'll add those into the credits as well which didn't end up in the final render for some reason.

BTW, Ludovico has a lot of very good songs. You should check his work out.

18. tjc

tjc Registered

I never noticed anything being out of sync I have to say...

Anyway, cheers for the music info.

19. Paul Loatman

Paul Loatman Registered

Ok, here's the video without music for my friends in Germany (and wherever else the music isn't allowed).

Here's the updated video, i'll probably remove the original soon.

20. Hagen Tröger

Hagen Tröger Registered

thankyou very much :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.