RFactor 2 Benchmark - 780 Ti, 1x/2x GPU (SLI), 1x/3x monitors (Surround), 2/3D Vision

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Spinelli, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Have you tried it on real low depth of just 15%? If you do that for a few days your brain and eyes will most likely adapt to it. Also, try to not go under 60 fps (in 3D mode). Don't mix 2D monitors on the outside with 3D in the centre, that's the worst thing you can do. Just one or the other.

2. realkman666

realkman666 Registered

Do you still get terrible pace car LOD pop-in with all that?

3. adaptable1

adaptable1 Registered

Yeah.... I've tried everything. I can't even go to 3D movies.

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

That's too bad. Maybe the Rift will work for you, who knows. By the way, 3D at the movies is 100 times worse than Nvidia 3D Vision.

With all what?

5. nipzon

nipzon Registered

Spinelli what is your suggestions for a single 780Ti for control panel, rf2 config and in-game settings? Will 3D Vision work on these Asus VE278Q monitors?

I am running 3x27 Asus 5900x1080

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2014
  6. Coanda

Coanda Registered

@ nipzon - You can try these if you like. Very happy with the FPS and no jaggies. The bias LOD is personal opinion and everyone's monitor will be sharpened differently.

The new JSON would have reverted this to auto.

"Texture Sharpening":0,
    "Texture Sharpening#":"Sharpen textures using MIP LOD bias - 0=Off, 1=+2.0(very blurry), 2=+1.0(blurry), 3=-1.0(sharp), 4=-2.0(very sharp), 5=0.0(auto)",

View attachment 13789

View attachment 13787

View attachment 13788

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

What Hz is your monitor running at, and what fps are you shooting for?

Well it depends on what AA you don't mind. Everyone has their preference. I use 3D which "hides" a lot of aliasing/jaggies so, when using 3D, I can honestly run happily with low AA, or even no AA and just FXAA, However, for 2D you need to experiment with what you personally can/can't handle.

I'd start with Coanda's advice above so that you can get away with less amounts, and less intense forms of AA.

For triple 1080p with multiview, I would set shadows to medium, and opponent detail to medium. Reflections to low or off. I heard that reflections @ off still gives a true, constant reflection, but it just gets updated to a new reflection image every 10 seconds instead of constantly. If that's true, then off should be fine for most people looking for more fps.

Soft particles low or off. Not sure what differences this makes in terms of IQ or fps though, to be honest with you.

Lowering visible vehiclee can really help when there are others on track with you.

The one thing I always try to keep on max, not even high, is player detail. You're own cockpit is what you'll always be seeing, and full looks quite a bit better than even high, (unlike opponent detail, which when set to medium, I don't notice any visual difference when other cars are around me compared to full). I try to do the same with texture quality (always maxed). I for sure wouldn't go lower than high on either, but honestly these 2 I really always try to keep maxed and then just lower other settings.

Shadows...I usually set them as low as they can while making sure to still see shadows on the track from overhead things like bridges, banners, etc. In rF2 these particular shadows, at least at Silverstone, are still visible when set to medium so I settled for medium (didn't try low). This is different to GSC (in a good way). Setting shadows in GSC to medium, at least at Montreal, prevented those particular shadows from being shown, so I couldn't get away with medium in GSC, where as I could in rF2. (With such great 3D SLI scaling, this GSC-medium/high shadow dilemma isn't a problm for me anymore. I now use completely maxed out gfx with tons of beautiful and demanding AA in GSC as long as i use the combo of SLI + 3D Vision).

Circuit detail, I like to lower this just one knotch, because it may remove trackside objects which may be used for reference points. However, if you need some more fps medium should be ok too.

Anisotropic filtering - For the past 5+ years I heard time and time again that with current games and GPUs, that 16x AF is hardly a reduction in fps relative to 8x AF. Well at least in rF2, GSC and AC that is not the case at all, especially with more opponents. Definitely use 8x AF. You will hardly, if at all, notice a difference in IQ when going from 16x to 8x AF (4x is a different story though).

If you still need more performance, then in Nvidia inspector use all 4 of these settings:
    Texture filtering - Anisotropic filter optimization: ON
    Texture filtering - Anisotropic sample optimization: ON
    Texture filtering - Quality: HIGH PERFORMANCE (I think just "performance was fine too)
    Texture filtering - Trilinear optimization: ON

Shadow blur, unless you play from a 3rd person camera then I use the second lowest (fast). I didn't like optimal as it seemed to put a halo, an out ring layer of a lighter shadow around the normal shadow, quality looks good but I'm assuming is a performance hit. Off was real jaggy, but if it saves quite a few fps compared to fast then I'd use it, but I haven't tested the difference so I would try fast.

Special effects, start with medium. Not sure on IQ or fps differences with this. Probably stuff like smoke, dust, heat haze, who knows.

If you need more fps, try just running FXAA (from rF2, haven't tried it directly from Nvidia settings yet), or a low amount of AA like 2x or 4x in combination with FXAA.

8. nipzon

nipzon Registered

Depending on the track and server I run anywhere between 40-70fps, which is not bad jagged edges and micro freezes all the time.

Monitors are running at 60Hz

Thanks Guys will try our suggestions.

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Nipzon, have you checked the benchies in post 1?
    "Reduced" graphics, 1xGPU, 5760x1080, 2D
    FPS = Avg: 86 - Min: 46 - Max: 100

Try my settings in post # 1. Should work very good for a single 780 Ti in surround, especially if you're not aiming for real high avg framerates like, for example, 120 fps.

If you get stutters while the fps are higher than your monitors refresh rate, then in your player.json file, look for the max framerate line and set it to "60" (default is "0" )

10. Coanda

Coanda Registered

Shadow blur hits me hard so I don't use it and like Spinelli said its kinda pointless from the cockpit view. I am getting between 125-180 FPS on Indy 2014 with 50 cars. Damn I feel for you, I had stutters on my old card. What a pain. Its was a HD 4890 dinosaur though... What type of drive do you have? SSD? Another area to look at outside graphic options could be the replay options in the JSON. I seem to remember some people having some stuttering issues with this.. Dunno joust a thought and so many variables.

btw on my AA settings I was told to set Heat FX Fade Speed="0.00000" in the JSON/PLR.

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

If you don't want to disable instant replays and replay recording, then you can do eomething even better than an SSD, you can set the game to record the replay on your RAM which is much, much faster than even an SSD :) . After the session, it'll still be saved/transfered to your HDD/SSD. The option is in your player.json file, and also, I believe, in the player plr file in rF1, GSC, etc.

The only question now is whether it actually works since, I think, some lines in the player.json and .plr file don't actually do anything.

TRY IT :)

12. nipzon

nipzon Registered

Well I have changed my settings to all of your suggestions and it is looking good. Thx very much. Will let you know if the recording works and if it effects anything during racing.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Nice, have the fps improved from your previous 40-70?

14. nipzon

nipzon Registered

No I capped it at 60 fps.