rFactor 2 - Another new car introduction

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by 88mphTim, Feb 18, 2011.

1. Emery

Emery Registered

First rF2 screenshots were nearly 2 years ago (Mar 3, 2009), so it's understandable that folks are getting antsy. In the meantime, we've had some bonzo graphics from lesser sims, so rF2 has some tough graphics to match... however it's safe to say that we'll all be happiest if the physics are better than the graphics.

2. sg333

sg333 Registered

The rate the screens and videos are coming out and the cryptic answers (or ignoring questions) have me believing its a long way from release.

3. unrealnoise

unrealnoise Registered

Yes, it could be better.

quote from me (virtualr.com):

This image is very crappy. The marketing promo of ISI is very poor. VIP? I don't care. This is bad screenshot. And the setting of the photo is very weak... There is still room for improvement at the marketing...
    I can't wait the release, but this is big joke. The promo of F12010, Shift2, iRacing, Forza and GT5 are much better than rFactor2...

I had hoped that, we get more pics, video or maybe (something) developer diary. good promo and marketing = more shopping, better cash. So I don't understand this...
    Physics, FFB, and tire will be better? I don't heard anything special news... :/ I saw that, we get better graphics, animation, rain and better AI. (+ "x+1" tracks, and cars... i like they, but...) However, we don't heard anything about better (?) physics and tire-physics.

And where is the golden ratio in the screenshot? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio The composition of car is sucks...

[​IMG]

The ISI's presentation looks rather unprofessional. :/

4. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

Now you are exaggerating... there is a difference between advertising final product and from giving some wip material. Golden ratio? What for? If you want to show your friend something and do a screenshot, are you tweaking it for x hours to have it look perfect? ;-)

5. doggod

doggod Registered

unrealnoise , interesting post on the golden ratio
    however Ive never gotten good ffb from it
    maybe its my settings :) or the fact its aimed at controllers.

6. Robert Gödicke

Robert Gödicke Registered

"Bad marketing", "bad promotion", "bad presentation"...

This is the last part of a quote of myself from VirtualR:

See first post in this thread.

Overall there's too much criticism about stuff which was not meant to be shown. If a modder shows his car model on a not so gorgeous track, would you post a comment like "I don't care about the car, and the track and the presentation is ugly. Therefore, I won't download the mod."
    This is ridiculous. If there's some news about the finished weather system and BY THEN it still doesn't look decent enough for your likes, then you can explain your concern that you think the weather system is somewhat dissapointing visually-wise.

Geez.

7. mianiak

mianiak Registered

rFactor is like Linux, it's not for everyone. I like the way ISI do things, they don't act like corporate scum and dolly things up to spam lies just to make a quick buck. They are very down to earth and just plain straight out. This is very rare in this day and age, to find a business that is fair dinkum is gold. Putting ISI down for the way they do things is hitting below the belt, leave them alone to do what they do the way they do it.

8. Blaktop

Blaktop Registered

It seems every time a tidbit is published people are lining up to pick it to bits. Until the final product is released there is nothing to criticize. I for one, am quite happy racing my rF1 leagues for the present time. rF2 will be ready when it's ready and then, and only then will I attempt to evaluate it. My view is give them a break, they released a game in 2005 that still stands up well in 2011, they have a good history. Let them do things the way they do things and evaluate the final product.

9. tjg_marantz

tjg_marantz Registered

And this is where you couldn't be more wrong, and you are not alone at being completely wrong. This is not what you can expect in the final product. This is a WIP screenshot, not a final. Do you not see the difference?

Actually don't even bother answering that. I fear the answer already.

10. guod

guod Registered

Thanks Tim for a sneak peek at the new car. Looking forward to it.

11. ZeosPantera

ZeosPantera Registered

Here is my take on this whole situation. I recall not too long ago rF2 had a XX% of being released in 2010. Well we were close but missed it. That said. There is no excuse for a screenshot to look like it is missing 50% of its elements nearly 3 months after that "could be released" deadline. How could it have been released 3 months ago if you can't 3 months later, show us a full fledged screenshot.

How far off from a finished and semi-polished rF2 are we talking about?

EDIT: Photo Critique. Why does it look like the Nissan and 370 logo's on the back were photo-shopped on to it from a real photo? I guess that isn't a bad thing the realism just doesn't match the rest of the car. The shadow underneath is hardly there. The car texture is matte and bland. The sunset does look very good. Not enough track to really speak my opinion on that.

12. Niksounds

Niksounds Registered

AHAH

this is also a funny thing

A near ****ty screen makes +100 comments on virtualr.. here.. another forums..
    all crazy

This is a big probe for ISI =)
    The probe that this game is a "messiah" of Dune of racing LOL

GG isi. We love you :D

13. Woodee

Woodee Registered

Either way, I would expect people to be polite. This is after all just a GAME and the people that make them are only HUMAN. If they don't meet your expectations, then that means you may have them too high. There is a way to voice opinion and criticise constructively. This is not happening.

Trying to compare ISI to other bigger companies which have marketing machines to hype their games. ISI doesn't, they are a small (in regards to others) developer team passionate about what they do.

I say be grateful you see anything at all.... they don't have to show you WIP shots. Bollocks to the composition, who gives a monkies! The final product is all that counts, it doesn't matter if someone doesn't line up a screenshot to match composition. If this was a photo I would understand, but it is a video game screenshot!!

14. MarcG

MarcG Registered

Thansk TIM and ISI for the new car shot.

15. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Com'on man. Do you really think that being big company is necessary to create high quality screenshot?
    WIP materials since targeted to public community, are nothing more or less but marketing material.
    I know it is WIP and what WIP means. But even WIP should be prepared to show the product as best as possible.
    Specially to show a progress. Unfortunately I cannot see one in gfx area. It still looks like rF1, even worse. And here is still unanswered question: is rF2 able to output better quality or just someone doesn't care about community (at least a part).

Finally, negative opinion is not impolite it self. Or you think only 'ahh' and 'ohh' are allowed on this forum?

16. MarcG

MarcG Registered

The trouble with releasing any material is that is throws up the chance for people to pick up on every tiny detail.....and moan about it! This WIP shot is purely there to show a new car, nothing more nothing less, but people still feel the need to pick holes. Its a gamble Tim/ISI play when releasing these shots for FREE to us to show progress of the game, personally I thank them, sure the under car shadows look abit naff but I'm intelligent enough to accept that its a WIP and maybe not the highest graphics settings so therefore I don't feel the need to whinge and moan like some of you...sure you give feedback but at least start by saying "Thanks for the new car shot but..." - politeness goes along way.

Sure I'd love to see more from the game itself, a weekly update like that of 'Star Wars: The Old Republic' would be great, more videos, finer details, the Q&A would also be very nice (wink wink Tim!).

17. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

How will be this positive critics if only goal of pictures for development team is to show a car and you then criticizing area of unfinished graphic? And when the team showing us some parts of graphic area, the only positive critics is criticizing that part of graphic area, that team willing show us. Anyway in the end i think we all will be satisfied and most of "positive critics" will be past.

18. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

I mean "positive criticism" ofcourse. Have a little trouble with english. lol

19. Marek Lesniak

Marek Lesniak Car Team Staff Member

From what I heard from ISI team, rF 2 should be "pretty soon" and "a matter of a few months" and that has been told us in December or January.
    That means, if they are still on the schedule, then sorry, but I was expecting something better.

As Maxym said, if ISI would announce right now, that rF 2 won't be in this year but in mid 2012 then I consider the above screen as maybe early beta and for such, it looks very good. That's all.

And yes, if they show us just a damn car, we will be looking at the rest because that "rest" shows us, how far ISI is with developing rF 2. You get what you see.

EDIT:
    By the way... I think, ISI knows exactly at what stage they are. I also think (but of course, I might be wrong), they probably are not surprised that much, reading our comments ;-)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2011
  20. WiX

WiX Registered

First of all.. rFactor1, and certainly rF2 are the main reason i got interested in modding. I am a 100% sure that rF2 will deliver , and make us all happy once more.
    As a modder, i do understand the concept of WIP, and every time we get a glimpse of what is going on, i do appreciate the effort.

Lets make it clear that i want to give some constructive criticisme here. Dont flame me for it.

That said, it is a fact that the screens we had up and till now, do not create a buzz. From a marketing point of view, they even work against rF2 . As a modder its all about the features, but it has to be said that the majority of future rFactor racers are not modders , but racers. I can understand that for them the screenshots that are shown are not really getting them exited. I am pretty convinced that the material we have seen, up and till now, could have been showcased much better.

The latest model of the Nissan is IMO not representative of a model created with passion and skill in mind. From a creative point of view, the model is below rF1 standard. i am not going into details, but many top Community moddelers pointed out the problems with the car. i considder myself a texture artist, but even i can see the major flaws on this model. What strikes me is, that it would only take an hour or 2 to fix them, though at this stage, wip or not, they should not have been there in the first place.

How can people talk about shaders and reflections, when the basic model itself is not up to standard? I do not know what the deal is concerning licencing, but i would imagine that if a Nissan license exists, one would do everything to make the models as good as possible within the performance rules. As i said before, when an Alpha, or Beta project would exists within ISI rF2, i am sure allot of (Free) help could come from existing modding teams. All teams that adore all that is ISI. A private forum that allows technical tips, and constructive critisime would be a good start. Lets face it, on a public forum , every form of discussion ends up in a flame war. Not good for the product, the development, and the marketing. As part of such modding team , i am convinced that this aprouch would benefit the product, and the future lifespan of the sim. It woiuld also help a second problem. rF2 is linked strongly to modding, and the lifespan of the product will rely on the modding concept in general. Yet , as far as i know there is no usefull comunication between ISI and modding teams as for now. There are a few project started , aimed at rF2 , but because of the lack of info ( however small) all these projects come to a standstill after model creation. Again because not even the smallest of rules concerning the rf2 enfine is known.

In a world with so many dedicated, skilled and passionate modding teams, who could freely help to make this product shine, it is beyond me that modders are left in the dark. Virtual-LM - RSDG - GSMF - OSRM - MMG - NLC - RMT - HISTORIX Team - CTDP - Com8 - Madhorse - MGT - and many more ... Dont let the passion and knowledge go to waste. Never forget that for some of us, rF is a part of our life.

I guess we are all friends of ISI. Friends are there to help.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 20, 2011