rFactor 2 and McLaren - World’s Fastest Gamer!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 23, 2017.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I have never seen a tire exploding in rF2. 5 years driving exclusively this sim.
    I don't use open wheelers and that image was really surprising for me.

Can somebody give some hints about it. Do some mods have flatspot?
    How does the tire perform in those cases?

Guimengo likes this.
  2. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

I said in my opinion,so we can't debate,snowflake alert

3. patchedupdemon

I'm having trouble understanding,if it's not simulated properly then are you on about punctures not based on wear and tear,like a random instance here and there.
    How can this be done,without simulating it true to life.
    There are certain conditions that cause a tyre to fail,are you saying to implement punctures but ignore said conditional causes.
    If they can implement stuff I'd rather they did it to the best of their abilities,rather than just implement it so it's there,but in the end doesn't make sense.
    I'm not trying to argumentative,I'm just trying to understand.
    I think we can all agree we love rf2,and what ever makes it successful even if opinions differ is a good rhing

4. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

What I mean is not properly simulating the behaviour of the car with a flat tire. Properly refers to the same level of accuracy of a normal non punctured tire that makes use of a lookup table based on previous simulation.

Before that happens some type of script accounting for tire damage that causes the explosion is required. All these scripts do not simulate anything. It is just a formula punishing several variables. Basically the same as for engine failure. The engine failure is not simulated it is a damage counter that breaks the engine after reaching terminal engine lifetime.

Guimengo likes this.
  5. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Nah, I'm not one of these, just no patience to explain things, i.e your above post is an example... how can you simulate a tire exploding made simple and not random at all... well... tires have minimum pressure recommended by manufacturers otherwise they'll have problems, with that in mind the logic to reach something simple that works based on these minimums + speed + load is not really hard and would actually stop people from abusing setups. Same thing goes for wear, does not need to be random but does not need to be NASA rocket science project either if that will take 2 years to be done. And this is about every other simulation aspect like hybrids ;)

SPASKIS likes this.
  6. patchedupdemon

Oh so your on about how a tyre behaves after failure and not what causes it to fail.gotcha.
    I can agree with that,as long as what cause the failure is based off of conditions that would cause failure in rl

7. Magus

Magus Registered

Flatspots are very evident on the ASR F2 mod recently released (paid DLC), both visually and in (FFB) effect. If anything, they flatspot too easily on the softer compound. The image bwana posted is from SlowMotion's updated GP3 mod and that too has flatspotting but the build up and effect feels somewhat different to that of ASR's mod, however visually I'm not sure it is evident (or maybe not as evident as the ASR mod).

Those are a couple of mods I have noticed flatspotting on, but I am certain there are more. Same with ISI content, like the F2 & F3.5 that I have driven recently. However, since the update to DX11 & VR I haven't noticed the visual aspect of it but if I recall, one of the DX11 updates reintroduced the visual wear of the tire...but I may have dreamed that :)

8. MarcG

MarcG Registered

FYI flat spots have been on every ISI car since the beginning both visual and through FFB, most mods I've driven have had them too if they used RF2 tires.

Mydriaz, Mauro, John and 2 others like this.
  9. Ari Antero

Ari Antero Registered

I would like to see drivetrain modelling to simulate sequential gearshift mechanisms, electronic features as downshift protection. Gears/ gearbox/ clutch leading to failure if consistently misused or abused. Turbo modelling, boost / push-to-pass and energy recovery systems. Realistic TC and ABS. Update of all old ISI cars which are missing drivetrain modelling,clutch, engine mapping, push-to-pass , tires, chassis flex etc. When Howstons was released few years back ISI promised that drivetrain modelling and clutch are also soon going to be updated which didn't happen:confused:. I would love to see to do list to S397 regarding already released ISI cars and tracks.

Mclaren is released and people are pushing to get reminding GT cars released ASP. We have wet weather racing in rF2 which we all enthusiasts are proud of but there are no windscreen, wipers or decent wets and to do list to S397 is going to grow. I understand that DLC must be released to make it possible to keep on development of rFactor 2 in the years to come but is releasing uncompleted cars and tracks way to go:rolleyes:

10. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Dont know if Reiza added all of the list to AMS, but gearbox damage and downshift protection is there, I added it to the EEC GT3 mod, again a good example that looks simple but works. Finally could stop the 1 second downshift from 6th to 2nd gear people have been doing :)
    You can set the gear protection to not bo so harsh but compensate with gear damage, while trying it I managed to make it break in like 3 corners if people abuse downshift (but changed it later to focus more on the downshift protection). That was long ago so I dont remember every detail but it's a good system to me

11. Pauli Partanen

Pauli Partanen Registered

Point is that this could be much more realistic as its now. Now its just using engine failing that's its simulated and we can fake it to be like gearbox/transmission damage.

12. LokiD

LokiD Registered

does the new macca have the same grindy ffb that the radical has anyone? Was the radical a one off or as design?

13. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

hmmm sounds like at least the GT3 cars will get rain tires and wipers {& other cars at a later date.}...not sure if that also includes fixing the AI pitting issue but it looks like a good deal of attention has been aimed at wet driving. Fingers crossed.

14. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

If you mean that rattling when you first leave the pits, I haven't noticed it with the Mclaren, but I only have a G27 and haven't driven the Radical lately. I'll have to refresh my memory.
    Seems like the GP3 mod had the most noisy ffb when leaving the pits...

LokiD likes this.
  15. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Another topic regarding MCL (and probably future DLC content).

Historically, in our league we might do some slight adjustments to fuel tank capacity or pit times in order to enhance different pit stop strategy to be used. The request to be able to fine adjust fuel use and tire wear multipliers was never satisfied despite the support and the clear lack of logic of many of the values available atm. Hopefully, the new UI will have better options for this but hasn't been confirmed.

Considering that content is "hard encrypted" (I hope I don't need to explain this) we cannot modify it as we have been able to do so far.

The only way I can imagine of changing this would be to make an incremental update to the component using upgrades.

However, in my experience incremental updates for cars or tracks require several main files to be present within the update so I'm not sure if it would work in this case.

Has anybody done something similar?
    Would it be as simple as including the standard line from another mod into the upgrade file?
    Do upgrade files need to be defined in hdv or gen? If so I think it is not possible to do any type of modification to DLC cars.

Guimengo and McFlex like this.
  16. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

In the ideas I sent to Marcell long ago for the new UI doing these kinds of upgrades (weight, fuel tank capacity, pit menu) was pretty simple and in a menu https://forum.studio-397.com/index.php?threads/bring-back-proper-mods.54738/#post-881732
    Even if they are encrypted would be possible, I heard the game has some bugs with upgrades anyway and some people remove them all to host leagues (no idea what this bug does tbh), in that case the game could clone original files and modify the lines desbrided in the "upgrade" file, in this case you'd have an upgrade without having an upgrade, if that makes any sense :D

17. LokiD

LokiD Registered

I mean the fact that the only car ever in Rf2 that I have to put min force at 0 to not feel like poo. :(

18. not_him_59

not_him_59 Registered

last time I tried the Mclaren it didn't have that awful FFB shake, rattle and hum like the Radical, no.
    and messing with the FFB on the Radical made no difference, it just wants to destroy my wheel.

LokiD likes this.
  19. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

I spent some time yesterday trying to create an update to modify fuel capacity.

However, I have seen that the upgrade file requires as a prefix the name of the hdv file which is not accesible for this mod since the MAS file containing main car physics files is encrypted.

I tried some guesses using the prefix from the veh file and the name of the MAS file including the main components.

If for encrypted MAS files we could only obtain the list of the files included this should be easy to do.

Any help? We are starting our champ next week. I just need a PREFIX. @Marcel Offermans @Christopher Elliott

ECAR_Tracks and McFlex like this.
  20. Ruben Correa Alves

Ruben Correa Alves

Yeah we've had the same issues a few times when we wanted to have a certain format in our league. I understand that some of the physics have to be protected, but at the same time it locks creative freedom away when hosting championships and leagues.

Might be cool to see the HDV file in a separate non-encrypted mas, or maybe better yet, a new file with just the pitstop, fuel and other non physics related variables in it that would be accessible when creating the rfcmp's for leagues!

For example, we have a 45 minute GT race and we wanted to enforce a pitstop, so we have changed the fuel tank size on the GT cars. We were able to do that because the mod is not encrypted, but if we were to move to the S397 GT3's next season we would not be able to do so.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2017
    Lenniepen and SPASKIS like this.