rFactor 2 and McLaren - World’s Fastest Gamer!

Discussion in 'News & Notifications' started by Christopher Elliott, May 23, 2017.

1. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

How do flat spots work in AMS? Could you expand a little bit?

People do care about tire model. It is probably the biggest gap today between real racing and sim racing. The fact that different sims keep releasing new versions for tire model means that their customers care about it.

The problem of rF2 not having as many users as other sims (especially AC considering it, its biggest competitor) is IMO related to other problems.

Rony1984 likes this.
  2. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Nah people dont, devs release new version because their tire models have issues and are crap, not because people care. ;)
    AMS is a perfect example, great tires still built on isi2.0 and can feel just as good as rF2 and is better than stuff like AC and PC1 that had much higher budgets.
    Open a tbc file (and hdv for ffb settings linked to it) in AMS, some mods have the tire flatspot and dirt in it, like CART or EEC GT3. Nothing really too complicated (on the user side at least)

SPASKIS likes this.
  3. Comante

Comante Registered

I disagree, people that like simulators care about how the simulator do their stuff.

4. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Reason why I said most people 2 posts above

5. patchedupdemon

patchedupdemon Registered

Isn't that because rf2 is a completely different animal to rf1

6. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

In the case of tire model there is indeed a substantial difference. Lookup tables seem to be defined for working pressures. So the tire characteristics are not being pre-simulated for zero and in-between internal pressures.

In order to introduce flatspots I can only foresee two ways of doing it.
    1. Create lookup tables for those pressures.
    2. Switch to rF1 tire model mode when a flatspot occurs. It was stated in a roadmap they were introducing this option after being requested by modding teams.

For sure they would both depend on a flatspot triggering script to be defined.
    First option seems the most promising one since slow punctures could be simulated.

However brake failure seems to have been dropped without a clear reason for it.

patchedupdemon likes this.
  7. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

If you make an inquiry in rF2 and AC forums I would expect a majority caring for tire model. Whether their reply is honest or the real reason why they use those sims is another story.

8. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

People care about a package that works. If they really cared much about some things they wouldn't jump in masses into a sim that is released without basic stuff like brake temperature.
    But to each their own, people believe whatever they want ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    I'm not saying to make things arcade, but if a more "simple" tire model can be as good as a super advanced one to the average simracers then it's not worth to make things more complicated, it end up being just waste of work hours. And this worth for every aspect, turbos, hybrids, etc. If it works it works and for most people that's what matters, numbers show it easily. Ahem in some popular sims people cant even see the files to check how the phisics engine works they just trust what a dev is saying in a video. Go figure... ;)

9. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Anyway, tyre model itself is a digression. rF2 has had that from day zero, and of course it's better; it's the main reason many of us (leagues) shifted to rF2 when it didn't offer much else above rF1 and actually eliminated some things (albeit largely third party... but well established by that point). I would in no way advocate dumbing it down or reverting to the rF1 model. But if a puncture could happen in the game - in some way - that would be better than no punctures. I don't see any reason to go all out modelling it, as handling hardly matters. In rF1 it seems a steady progression from normal to nothing, and that works fine. Lot better than rF2 punctures. If you wanted more realism like aero damage from driving too fast with the puncture etc, you could randomise that, you could even have a simple parameter or three in the vehicle to determine how much damage can occur (lift penalty), damage threshold (wheelspeed), whether and how much it's repairable. And bingo, you've got working punctures. And someone who doesn't care about how things are implemented (most people not already here) can go and watch a real race affected by punctures, and when they ask if rF2 does punctures they don't get a "well... no... but it's a great sim, honest" answer.

10. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Yep, now things are done so it's too late to change. I just mean to look at the future... stop trying to make things like a NASA rocket project, "nobody" cares. Obviously in the end this is a dev choice, if they want to make it like that because it's interesting they'll do it. I don't think people will stay to see how things will be done since going that way takes much more time.

11. patchedupdemon

I for one want simulation above all else,there are plenty of arcade or simpler titles out there,for everyone who is after that sort of thing.
    Rf2 has a great base already,add these extra simulation effects over time after they have improved the ease of use and playability of the title.
    There will of course be the difficulty setting so everyone is pleased,those that want sim and those that don't,I like online multiplayer racing,but honestly,my opinion on it's worth is dropping by the day,for it to be viable imho it would be too difficult for the masses,so will end up being dumbed down like iracing,where 80% of the races are a complete shit show,so one could argue it's a waste of time doing a dumbed down version of it.
    I hope rf2 does not try to change its identity by appeasing the arcade crowd,but that's just my opinion,I'm willing to wait for sim features to be improved because I only paid £18 for rf2.

12. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Note that nobody said to dumb down things or make it arcade ;)

13. patchedupdemon

Tell me this,if no one cares why has rf2 got anyone playing it,when easier arcade sparkles and glitter titles are out there,with the complete package of features.
    Is it because they are too cheap to buy a new game with the sparkles,and so want the devs to change rf2 to suit their desires,or is it because people do care,and don't for the arcade titles available

14. patchedupdemon

You can't have one without the other,it's such a opposite trend there's not way to do what you want without dumbing it down and making it arcade

15. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

Sorry, not going to waste my time explaining something so basic (or with someone that looks to be making fun of it). As I said, nobody is asking to dumb down the game/make it arcade, Lazza gave a great example of punctures that in no way would make the game "arcade". Have a good day.

Guimengo likes this.
  16. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Exactly. I think that nobody would care if a puncture is not simulated as accurately as when working normally, as far as it occurs. That is not dumbing down things. What is irrealistic is that tires never explode.

AlanK and Guimengo like this.
  17. bwana

bwana Registered

IMG_1493.JPG Exploding tyre

MarcG likes this.
  18. SPASKIS

SPASKIS Registered

Please explain if you have point. Are you suggesting that rf2 is simulating flatspots correctly?

19. bwana

bwana Registered

Was simply showing an exploding tyre in rf2 . Nothing more

20. Will Mazeo

Will Mazeo Registered

rF2 does have flatspots anyway, not sure if every mod does it