Rf2Rift - rFactor2 Oculus Rift Plugin and Tools

Discussion in 'Other' started by vittorio, Aug 15, 2013.

1. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Great :D Would be good to know what setting caused the problem.

2. SMOK3Y

SMOK3Y Registered

so Vittorio Tridef does work for DK2?? as I used it with DK1 and im just waiting for DK2 to turn up

smoke

3. cookie

cookie Registered

Thanks for your great work Vittorio, had a problem at the start I had the kart ui on which crashed Tridef couldn't work out what was wrong wasted hours. Is there anyway to make menu in rFactor2 easier to read ? I lowered HDM output fov to 50 then back to 93 for race.I really like the Karts in the rift good sense of speed and no detectable input lag, there is a bit of head tracker stuttering even @200 fps+, SimVibe working great to. .

4. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

There is a "Safe FOV" button in Tridef. Default is 50 FOV I think. You just hit a button to switch between safe (Menu) FOV and the standard FOV.

5. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

am I not getting some of these options due to using the trial version of tridef ?

don't have :

HMD->World Scale: 0.06
    HMD->Force FOV: Both
    HMD->Output FOV: 93 for DK2 (100 for DK1)
    HMD->Game FOV: 105 for DK2 (95 for DK1)
    HMD->OSD Depth: 0.50
    HMD->OSD on HMD: On
    HMD->Output Quality: High
    HMD->Head Tracking->everything off! Restarting rfactor2 after setting this is needed!

edit : when re-installing errors on the oculus add on to tridef -I remember this happend before & I clicked ignore few times this must be the problem, I'll look to see if I downloaded an older version etc

EDIT 2 : reinstalled fine but none of these options )-:, think it's maybe the trial version

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2014
  6. Ctuchik

Ctuchik Registered

Nope, I had them in the trial version. Those options are crucial to setting it up. You don't have the HMD option at all in the On Screen Display? Is the Oculus patch for Tridef installing fine?

7. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hiya,
    I downloaded everything (latest versions) again & re-installed again (without errors)

screen options to oculus rift

whilst running & pressing "0" the menu pops up with options in, but none of the HMD (as I posted above) options in it

I can get things working (tracking & rift view) pressing rf2 fov can get rid of black borders but image goes to pot,

I'm pretty much thinking of shelving rf2 until official support & no plugin delay as this isn't going well for me+the prospect of buying software (when out of trial period) just to run rf2 in VR is a tad annoying, official support is underway in other titles so my rift will be put to good use.

together with the plug in delay which is at it's most ferocious whilst trying to use VR this has drove me nuts & it could only happen with rf2
    ( it still staggers me there's a plug in delay at all ...who ever thought of that ....then after that who ever in charge said " yes that's ok " .......!%$!% )

but big thanks for your kind efforts vittorio & thanks for sharing/trying to help etc

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2014
  8. cookie

cookie Registered

Thanks that made things easier.
    Tridef support were great they let my upgrade from a AMD purchase to nvidia for free. I hope they can sort out the chromatic aberration , that would clean things up made a big difference in LFS.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2014
  9. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

+1 the karts are perfect in the rift

Also night racing, it is just amazing

10. vittorio

vittorio Registered

Hey Adrian!

I don't know why you don't get the HMD-Settings option. What if you try my rfactor2 Tridef profile? Btw it's a modified profile so mirrors are in 3D too and not 2D (afaik. theres a problem in middle mirror though)

Unzip the file and select File->Import Profiles in Tridef Ignition.

11. alpha-bravo

alpha-bravo Registered

I think he had the same problem as I. Maybe you can extend the how to with: which steps are to proceed to add rF2 to 3D Ignition.
    Adrianstealth try the following:
    - configure the rift display as vittorio explained as primary extended.
    - shut off the rift.
    - set the rF2 launcher to use 32bit executable
    - made the display setting in 3D Ignition as vittorio has described.
    - add in 3D Ignition the rF2 launcher.exe with the add game assistent and at the end of the process choose rFactor2 from the game list with a double click.
    - don't close 3D Ign.
    - power on the rift. ensure the 3D Ignition gui is on the rift display and start from 3D Ignition rF2 (if you can find the mousepointer) lol
    - the launcher should now come up on the rift display
    - find your mousepointer again :D and start single or multiplayer.
    - now it should possible to activate the menu wirh 0 from numpad.

I'm pretty sure this would solve your problem. It tooks me the past 3 hours to get it :p

vittorio great job !! many thx :)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2014
  12. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

again big thanks for your help guys, I'm overwhelmed,

vittorio -re. your profile, I deleted mine in nitro -loaded your custom one, the 3d mirrors are excellent

but although I can use in VR & head tracking etc I think I'm receiving a dk1 feed

I have two keys assigned to rf2's fov when I press one a black letterbox border zooms in and out -at the point there's no border so I'm wrapped in a nice 3d environment the res is very low ( LFS res/detail looks fine to me ) , I've checked rf2's resolution etc so I'm sure there's nothing I've done wrong

the car also seems enlarged & my head is very small ( lol ), I did use it for 30mins like this after 3hrs of fiddling

also the HMD options are still not present (although I'm sure they'd be correct in the custom profile) no idea why they are always missing -I also checked the downloaded software versions
    etc, I'm also on the latest nvidia drivers

rf2 has ultimate fluidity & appears totally lag free through the rift (rf2 always had the edge in this dept but on the rift it's another level)
    fps no problems either no glitches I'm movement (I don't use vsync)

I think what ever it is that's at fault my end maybe best wait untill vorpx update for dk2 ?? can't be far away ??

then I think maybe it will just work, the tracking you've done vittorio is ace

( I did try turning off the rift etc etc )

p.s lots of duct tape in those ISI formula 1's

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 30, 2014
  13. Ice9

Ice9 Registered

I also have this up and running, but everything outside of the vehicle is very blurry with the default settings.
    Changing the Output FOV to 53-55 and the Game Game FOV to about 60-65 makes everything sharp but then the picture is tiny on the Dk2. When I change both FOV's back to the recommended settings, I lose all of the detail and sharpness and everything becomes a blurry mess again.

14. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

phew not just me then, ice9 when you change rf2 fov (using 2 assigned keys) do you get a black letter box that pans in and out
    .....when it fully out (gone) the detail looks very low res (similar to a dk1 low res) ??????

I've spent a total of about 6hrs fiddling and semi gave up, but I know rf2 will be amazing with good VR support, the low latency (without vsync & a high fps) of the dk2 is incredible
    frustrates me even more at the short sightedness of who ever it is in ISI that will not unleash rf2 onto the growing VR community

15. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

not sure if this is a factor

this location : C:\Program Files (x86)\rFactor2\UserData\player\player.JSON

is located in mydocs

16. Ice9

Ice9 Registered

I get the black letterbox when I adjust the Fov settings in the Tri-Def OSD. As the game picture gets smaller it looks better. As I bring it back to fill the display it loses quality and gets soft/blurry. Only stuff within a meter of my virtual head is sharp.

The RF2 Fov control from 100-50 it increases color saturation compared to the default setting and nothing else. Then from 50-1 it compresses the image in front of me. The car gets squished wide and fat and it's like looking through a zoom camera lens. The image always fills the screen.

This is on a fresh install of windows and RF2.

17. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

ice9

at least you get those options lol

I used VR with rf2 for about 3hrs earlier,
    (closing my eyes so not to feel sick awaiting for the obvious simvibe signal to kick in whilst insulting the ISI bod that thought the plug in delay was an acceptable thing !) -I realise I'm sensitive to nausea but fine when everything working right
    (so eyes closed is the only way for me)

without those options I've set it to a black border letterbox view, the res is softer/down on what it could be ( using demos & LFS as a benchmark ), the head tracking is perfect thanks to vittorio, LFS has great VR support but it's shallow as a sim vs rf2
    I wouldn't allow anyone visiting to be exposed to rf2-VR as a "VR" experience
    (trying to explain the plugin delay & it's perfect immersion breaker aspect would be a bad move)

but as a personal (& partly frustrating experience ) on the plus side some of rf2's aspects are totally phenomenal

my previous few screen systems I chose carefully based on low latency etc,
    the 1:1 "feel" I get with the rift is phenomenal & at it's totally best with rf2,
    formula ISI don't feel loose at the back at all now,
    I can actually balance the steering & acceleration to turn the simcar right in the very edge,
    very happy with the "feel" whilst using the rift -the best yet,
    maybe vorpx will be updated so we can use as temp solution to get the visuals right .....just take the delay & fiddling on the nose for now, until proper official/suitable support

rf2 always had the edge with monitors, the low latency aspect of the dk2 takes it to another level that I feel nothing else can touch

(ps no vsync cap max fps to 300fps)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2014
  18. Ice9

Ice9 Registered

Adrian,

There's a setting in the HMD options that controls how the FOV works. That's why you get the black borders with the in game adjustment. I drove around the Green Hell for about 2 hours in the Howston G6 MkIII earlier. Even with the minor graphic annoyances, I have to agree with you that RF2 is absolutely amazing to drive in VR. It's much easier to control the cars on throttle with the feeling you get from being "IN" the cockpit. We're in really early days here for RF2, it's only going to get better!

vittorio, thank you very much for the plugin and all of the set-up information. I really appreciate what you've done so far!

19. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

hiya ice9

yes cheers but for some odd reason I only have some of the options ( no HMD options )
    reinstalled the oculus SDK etc earlier but still same, I'm using as is -still better than any monitor setup even with a letterbox type view

I'm hoping tridef or vorpX gets updated so there is less messing & less problems etc
    vittorio's head tracking patch works no fail each time

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 31, 2014
  20. svenh007

svenh007 Registered

quick question. I am using the plugin and it is working great.
    Minor issue though. If I start a racing , the plug in loading takes more time then the start sequence. Impact is that it is adjusting the view a few seconds into the race.