rF2 vs rF1 online activity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stonec, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

Nowadays it takes a lot more effort to get a 'proper' track made, even if it is semi-fictional. Back then the visuals would stick out a bit but conversions would usually fit in with the rest of available content, and drive at the same level.

2. jjcook

jjcook Registered

+1 for the analogy

3. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Its part of rf1's success, there's no denying that, loads of people tried it out and stuck around, older simmers taking the lead in communities, helping out noobs, making them dedicated drivers, etc.
    That also boosted the modding community and all the paraphernalia around it.
    And allot of illegal users turned legal as well, its not all negative.

Cause and effect I think, things falling into the right places at the same time. Same story for rf1 having little opposition at the time, much less then what rf2 is up against.
    Our league was already going slow(er) at the end of rf1's life, it became even slower overall when rf2 beta was released and after AC and Pcars there was so much fragmentation it finally got to a standstill recently, no new blood, less admins, less dedicated members, bye bye league.

Like it or not, rf2 needs more noobs crossing over, new blood whom can start to get dedicated, learn how to drive, learn to appreciate. that is simply lacking bigtime in rf2 (so it seems anyways)
    I chuckle when I see the many comments by 'rf2 sim-racers' pointing and blaming everyone and everything outside rf2, ac users are pseudo-simmers, pcars users are noobs and gamers, iracers don't know what's good for them, etc. etc.
    Maybe start with getting of your high horses for a while, rf2 aint the holy grail some make it out to be. physics alone (or anything alone) wont cut it these days. And epic physics mean very little when there's no people using it.
    Stamping your feet in frustration and shouting 'but physics!!' is just as silly as (some) AC users only caring for graphics.

We need more people wanting to try out rf2. the community will take care of the rest as they always do.
    I don't believe for one second its the vmods, rf2 complex nature or even the server browser or anything in that regard.
    rf1 was much more complicated and way more frustrating then rf2, and there was a million users enjoying it nonetheless.

Loads of 'gamer's are porting over from console racing to simracing these days, PS network is emptying out, Gran Turismo drivers for example finding themselves lapping on their own. Because Pcars, AC and even iracing.
    Those people are the simracers of the future, why are they not joining rf2 an-mass? Why aren't we taking advantage of those swarms?

We always complain about pickup racing being so bad. I wish it was bad again, really bad :)

Maybe rf2 should be free and ISI let us pay for all/most of their content?
    Pay for the good tracks/mods, but not for the sim. should get some interest perhaps.

4. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

LOL. There isnt' a face palm large enough for this one. The entitlement of some people is hilarious.

ISI should forget about MP and focus on single player, they would be way better off. I load up rF2 4 times a week and never go online anymore, have no interest in it. I race what I want, when I want. I guarantee you most of the gran turismo, forza user are the same way. I would bet rF2 users who race online are a small minority.

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I bought rf2 lifetime when the beta was released but whatever mr. Jamie.

It does not matter how the money gets in, as long as it does. Over the years there have been epic examples of free games making ****loads of money and various ways.
    Earning money in a different way has nothing to do with people's privilege's. But it can unlock the hordes. which is what we (most) want with rf2.

Not saying its the way to go, but at least I'm not disregarding it by default.

Ah so because you have no interest in MP ISI should focus on SP, nice :p

6. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

The interesting thing is ISI has all the data that we are simply speculating on. ISI know how many people are licenced, how many people are racing online vs offline, ect ect. I think that have everything they need to decide what is best for their future. They've been in this business for a long time now and I suspect they will stay in business for a long time to come.

It's also possible the ISI just isn't interested in being the next Forza or Gran Turismo with masses of money. Maybe they are all content with the lifestyle they are living already.

All I know is the product is getting better and better and I have access to all the online racing I want. So I am very happy with what we have now. I could care less if it isn't as popular as GT/Forza/pCARS/AC.

7. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

But MP is declining, has been for a while and it is hurting communities. Maybe not yours but you know....

Would love to see some figures from ISI indeed.

8. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

It's all about online multiplayer. Single player in general is becoming a niche more and more. Most people I know don't play offline games anymore whether it's simracing, first-person shooters, or sports games. The only small exception seems to be some people I know in sports games because of career-mixed-with-management modes and all the depth to those modes.

Focusing on single player means focusing on your own demise (unless you have some super deep career and management mode like other sports games do but even that is starting to transition into online modes).

Single player is a hole which continually becomes deeper and darker as time goes on.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  9. Diogo Oliveira Falcão

Diogo Oliveira Falcão Registered

What if we start a crowd funding ourselves and invite the best modders from the community to focus on content that we want to add?
    Sim racing is an expensive hobbie, why not pick like 100USD each and have the most complete sim ever?

10. Domi

Domi Registered

Nope. Most users are offline gamers.

11. David Wright

David Wright Registered

I'm sorry but single player IS where its at. Kunos have the data and they say most of their customers don't race online. Even we have the data. Iracing has 60,000 members and boasts far more people racing online than either AC or pCARs which have both sold over 200,000 copies on steam to PC users. Clearly most of those customers are not racing online - maybe only 10 or at best 20℅.

12. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

13. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

14. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Not sure if that's a fair comparison though, rf1 was heavy on leagues and communities and really pushed that forward. Probably because of rf1 being new, loads of peeps joining and everyone pitching in.
    AC and pcars are just starting, a good MP structure in terms of serious racing takes allot of time and dedication, maybe too soon to tell?
    But perhaps that's also the reason so many are racing offline, their MP has not matured yet.
    Iracing has established exactly that, prepared and proven in MP, hence they get the high numbers.

Maybe allot of SP drivers are just forced to SP because they either are facing too many bad drivers online, cannot find structured communities and/or simply not enough drivers online(?)

Personally I don't race unless its online and I know allot of people prefer the same. (and I don't understand the fun in SP tbh but that's just me)

15. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

Online racing was always the best since GPL. But then, it was a lot more easy to find drivers to race with. Then with RF1 and the constant modding of each league, it become almost impossible to join an open server because you always get a mismatch.

RF2 should have been a solution for this, but servers are still empty.

One thing I feel about available cars, it's that there is no mystique. It's not the same to drive a new GT than the McLaren of Ayrton Senna against another driver on the Ferrari of Prost, or the Porsche 962 of Derek Bell against the Jaguar of Martin Brundle.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

That's weird. Noone I know cares to play video games offline. Whenever I go to someone's place, or talk to anyone, they're always playing online or talking about MP.

I haven't met or spoken to a person that's mentioned single player mode when discussing Call of Duty or Battlefield in around 5 years, literally.

I don't know any gamers who play sports games offline unless they have a friend over (2 player offline) or are into a career and management mode.

The people I know who race (besides a couple) will hop from game to game until they find an online room with people. They'd rather play a lesser sim in a room with 5 or 10 people than a better sim in a room with 1 person or offline.

99% of general gaming discussions on websites seem to me to be about MP. I hardly see anyone discussing cool levels or difficult sections with tips or anything like that, 99% of all discussion is about MP.

Same with DLC. Almost all DLC I see is about MP. New MP maps, new MP modes, etc. I hardly see DLC for offline stuff like new offline levels or offline modes, and I hardly see any complaints from people regarding most DLC being for MP rather than offline.

More and more dev time and money is spent on the online portion of games while less and less is spent on the offline portion.

Offline playthroughs are becoming shorter and shorter while online MP modes are increasingly becoming more and more deep.

Even Grand Theft Auto is now heavily online MP influenced.

Do you think people want to play World of Warcraft offline?

More and more people aren't even playing the offline portion of their video games but instead jumping straight to the online modes.

The vast majority of people would rather play/compete with/against other people not programmed "bots" (AI).

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 12, 2015
  17. boblevieux

boblevieux Registered

rF2 has less online racers than rF because:
    - consoles ! most of the former rF racers came from PC simracing, while the "kids" today come from Forza & GT, casual driving eye-candy games.
    - there's more sims, in 2000s the only big online sims were GTR&GTL, rF, GPL, RBR and NR2003, now we have GTR2, rF2, AC, R3E, rF, iRacing.

18. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

Another point, is that the community was smaller years ago, so you know whom was racing with you. I remember driving GTP cars against Greger Huttu, Robin Verdegaal and some other monsters.

19. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

You have to add a very important element to all this. RF2 is difficult, because it's realistic. The new guys want everything fast and easy, and it's not the case of realistic simracing when you have to learn through the time how to setup a car, and how to manage your car (tyres - fuel) in a race.

It could be too frustration for somebody who started with simracing few time ago.

20. elbo

elbo Registered

Off the start I have never liked the whole vmod thing and having to have the plethora of required cars/tracks to join a server that at the moment of joining was running a track and cars I was interested in racing. I know, I know, it is not ISI's fault that people are setting up their servers this way but at that moment I am playing an ISI sim and in the back of my mind they got the lion's share of the blame.
    Then over time this vmod started not to bother me so much and I just considered it part of the slog I had to go through to enjoy racing on line. Additionally it was just less and less of a burden over time. I was relatively happy with it all.
    Then last week, system crash, hard drive dead... necessitating a reinstall of windows and RF2. No big deal I thought, I got it all reset and armed with a fresh install of RF2 headed off to do some online racing to test the new install. That is when it hit me. The reason I had come to terms with the vmod was that overtime my installation was chockfull of mods and tracks so I rarely bumped up against a server running something I didn't have. But on this new install almost every server I joined had me going back to install some mod or track (often out-dated) to be able to race a little bit on the track and car I wanted. Since I am familiar with the software, this was not such a big deal as I went back to my backup drive and slotted in the necessary rfmods, yada yada ...
    It did however occur to me that a new player to RF2 who downloaded the software, sees a server running Mills and Clio, tries to get in and then gets barraged with not having all the cars in the BES mod, and a bunch of tracks must just think "but, but, but I'm wanting to race Clio at Mills here"

I'm guessing this does not help getting more people online

BTW I have one game on my PC, its RF2.