rF2 vs rF1 online activity

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by stonec, Aug 10, 2015.

1. Diogo Oliveira Falcão

Diogo Oliveira Falcão Registered

Let's be honest, rF2 is simply the best racing sim ever created. However, the lack of content for a game released years ago is a shame.
    We got like two or three European tracks, one or two North American, one or two cars of each category.
    If you really want to race, you have to buy payware mods. About tracks... c'mon, most of them are rF1 conversions that sucks really bad.

Maybe we should go crowdfunding... I would be glad to help.

2. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

rFactor 1's selection of proper tracks is not slim, but it isn't widespread. The level of quality changed a lot during rF1's prime, but the standards mostly remained stuck on 2006/conversions from GPL/NR2003/GTL/GTR2 and the occasional F1C scratch made content. There are less than 10 top quality series/car mods to choose from. What's the point of moving to rF2 and use the same quality of material if they have more variety and flexibility with the game they already own?

3. coops

coops Banned

I have not been able to return for more than about 5 mins of racing on RF1 since RF2 release it's just plain. RF2 is the future of sim racing as we can tell with every other sim trying to keep up or out do ISI in the future. So why leave a perfectly great sim for something lesser than the ppl that has moved sim racing into a whole new world for us to enjoy.
    Crowd fund for a new ISI staff member to join their team to help speed things up with content nothing more.

4. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Not having to pick a pre-determined list of tracks and not having to have installed every single track in the pre-determined list of tracks, with an increasing percentage of servers using "getmod" (1-click auto-download), would make things a lot more ussr friendly and less frustrating/de-motivating.

I'm pretty sure ISI are well aware of that as the prototype dedicated server was a good first step in the right direction.

The rFactor 1 (SCE, FT, etc.) IN-GAME system, but with a little more power/functionality added, would be mega.

I have an SCE server up 2-5 times a week. I can change track, to any track in my entire game install, whenever I feel like. Lots of stuff can be done in-game like restarting races, going to next session, restart weekend, change track, race start time, AI difficulty, allowed/disallowed aids, # of laps, etc. And those can all be changed as you load the next track/weekend so nothing is set in stone.

It's not just that though. Most people want the fancy stuff. Flashy UI that pumps you up to get sucked into the world of racing and with all sorts of functionality. A new core UI would probably be needed for a lot of this. Then there's the fancy graphics with all sorts of effects like tons of HDR making a bright day really feel bright and vivid, bloom, god-rays, more modern 3D grass and other greens and flora, real crowds, lots of post-processing effects, updated sound engine, etc.

Then tons of cars that people are fans of like BMWs, Mercedes', Ferraris, mostly in slower, modern GT classes as well and do the road cars.

Then pump out tons of videos and preview pics, and keep releasing info and pics/updates so as to keep everyone waiting, thinking, and talking about the game, and keep doing it over and over.

The thing is, I don't think ISI are trying to play that game and may not even want/care to. I think they want RF2 to be a much more technically focused product - sort of like a hybrid between an industrial/professional sim and a consumer video game sim. I think they have their own vision and road to follow.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2015
  5. Domi

Domi Registered

Anyway I don' think it's just an online problem, but a problem of simply not enough people using the sim. If you do a quick search and filter videos per date in Youtube, you'll understand what I mean, search rFactor 2 and then search other sims such as AC or iRacing. For example if we count how many videos of "rFactor 2" have been uploaded in the last 10 hours, we have only 4 videos, if we count "Assetto Corsa" videos in the same time range, there are 57 videos, and 35 videos from "iRacing" search. You can think it's a casuality but the trend is pretty much the same every day. So yeah we can discuss forever if the online should be free or not, or if we should have X or Y options in the multiplayer, or if it should be easier to install mods, but I think we are missing the big picture.

6. stonec

stonec Registered

It's not their priority because it hasn't been developed in a year or so, which is pretty weird considering multiplayer fees are the yearly income for this game.

Yeah, that would be a good idea. Or crowdfunding for getting more European licensed tracks, as I heard those are expensive.

7. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Ya but a big RF2 multilayer update is coming soon, I just read it like a week ago.

I agree Domi. It's because AC and PC did the recipe/formula I previously mentioned, whereas RF2 stuck to the "underground", "niche", style of things.

8. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

here in Argentina, there has been a culture about getting all for free. That made people jump from GPL into RF1. There are hundred of drivers here still using RF1, even you can go to a "store" and play RF1 online with drivers from all around the country.

Then RF2 arrived, and at the beginning the problem was money. First it was about pay for it, but then it become affordable. But it's not so easy to send american dollars outside de country, so, not everybody can buy it.

Beside the money's problem, I see three big problems:

- First it's the hardware you need to run RF2 properly. Not everybody can have a second PD dedicated just for RF2. It's expensive.

- Second, if you have the money, then you need a huge amount of time to make RF2 run properly.

-Third, when you have everything running well, then you realise that you have just a few of good tracks (sorry but most the convertions are poorest than a good RF1 track) and you don't have series of cars (you have, but just if you like modern GTs), you just have unique or lonely cars, but drivers are not all as fast as each others, so you need cars with differente performances to handicap.

Make it lighter for the PCs, help to get more and better tracks, and help to complete series of cars. I can't believe we can't get two F1 cars from the same year of the 60s.

9. Jamie Shorting

Jamie Shorting Registered

I must be doing something wrong because it takes me less than 5 minutes to setup rF2 after installing it.

10. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

I dont understand ppl can spend money and time setting up rigs and configuring its super detail settings...........................but complain abt doing a few clicks with the finger to download vmods

11. Damian Baldi

Damian Baldi Registered

It's easy, if you invite a friend to race with you and he have to buy and install RF2 for the first time, you will spend an entire week helping him to setup up everything until he can put a car on track in a decent way.

12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I don't agree in the slightest with this and your previous comments.

RF2 needs way less setting up time than RF1, way less. Way less tinkering with FFB settings, way less tinkering with the player plr/json file, simpler to install mods (no manually moving files and folders, just one click download/install), etc.

Also, RF2 is very light to run @ 1920x1080 @ 60 fps.

And I don't understand your comment about not wanting to pay. Does everyone download and play illegal copies of rFactor 1 there or something? Last time I checked, RF1 wasn't free...

13. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Price ?? I said like 2 years ago AC and pCars + all DLC would be just as dear as rF2.

Ah so frustrating when they complain or wishlist for 3 years and then wonder why for everything. lol ;)

Like only taken 2 years for people to wake up garage and setups in pCars are flawed and can be abused.
    It gets less positive comments these days.......... yet a million brought it and are lining up salivating for pCars2. lol

It is some sort of sick joke, not that they buy pCars ..............that almost all of them have missed out on finding rF2's GSpot.

Otherwise we should have what 100,000 drivers and ISI more resources.

Like I said supposed to be about liking all sims, supporting them ALL by buying them ALL.

Why is rF2 the black sheep ?

14. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Coz it has no lens flare

15. Depco

Depco Registered

Because they don't do ANYTHING to promote their game. Plain and simple.

16. B1K3R

B1K3R Registered

I do not play rF1 any more as it has become too old for me, but in my case this is my rF2 issue (as highlighted in bold above.) I only keep paying for rF2 because I love it and want to support it but I never race any more with it as I only like Online Multiplayer pick-up races and that is TOTALLY dead.

I tried to come up with ideas in the past (like iRacing framework) but I did not see enough enthusiasm so I abandoned the project. Nowadays you see me in Assetto Corsa or Raceroom expererience (love them both too) as there is ALWAYS quick races I can join to and have some fun (yes, there are wreckers everywhere but what the heck).

Cheers

17. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Ive thought of that iRacing framework too! I think its a good idea :)

18. Nazirull Safry Paijo

The community is doing the promo. If u understand ISI, theyre not SMS or iRacing in terms of marketing. They do the base sim platform, the rest is up to us

19. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

this.........

rF2 hardcore are the leagues and they have done massive amounts to improve rF2.

What is needed is to get everyone in open rooms, like more then for a week after release of new car, online should have those numbers every day.

As you said it is community that promotes it.

20. shiet

shiet Registered

iRacing: subscription based + sells content
    Assetto Corsa: sells DLC
    pCARS: sells DLC
    RRE: sells content

rFactor 2: sells online activity -> just plain stupid. 99% of players who already bought rF2 1-3 years ago don't care about online because there is no online activity (outside of leagues) so they don't pay more -> less and less income for ISI every year -> they can't really create really fancy, popular and licensed content that's why we have AMP instead of Road Atlanta and so on and that's why we have only one GT3 car. Their only choice is to make content for free so they make cheap repolished and refurbished content with fake names or integrate mods from outside (Corvettes, Interlagos, Palatov, Longford anybody?).
    ISI didn't think this through, this would have been worked if there is no AC which sucks up the modder community at fantastic rate.

View attachment 17576

Cut the price to ~30-40 USD with online access and release the upcoming content packs as DLCs.