rF2 vs GSC2013

Discussion in 'Other Games' started by Thor, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Thor

Thor Registered

I wonder what day the RF2 will give a jump in graphic quality? Even the graphics engine RF1. This better than RF2. Please ISI improve models of cars and especially the sound.

2. Timpie Claessens

Timpie Claessens Registered

I bought it but it had an even more death MP scene then RF2 and I don't really care about driving against AI so I asked a refund.
    And you might say: "well hell, it hasnt even been released yet." but I'm pretty sure that most of the simracers who are intrested in it already preordered it.

3. Guimengo

Guimengo Guest

This is the one recent game where racing with the AI isn't bad.

4. PRC Steve

PRC Steve Registered

The racing on gsc 2013 with ai is superb. Graphics are smooth and nice but I wouldn't say better than rF2 but we all know some tracks in rF2 look awful.
    The F3 is on my all time fave list of sim cars and that comes from someone who isn't into open wheelers. Its a great sim so far. I haven't owned it too long and haven't tested all the cars.

5. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

Dat Sound....do want

6. Thor

Thor Registered

I agree that the graphics can not be better. However the models of cars are superiror at all. I hope one day has rFactor2 model in more detail. More polygons.

7. kimikaze

kimikaze Registered

Well is not better. The big problem in my opinion rF2 graphic engine has, is cartoon color reproduction. But if you look to details, specially from cockpit view, is on pair with other titles(according to latest rF2 cars and tracks). Video you posted....texture and modeling wise is not better, is worse. Only the "better" color reproduction make you think that graphic is better.

8. FatnSlo

FatnSlo Registered

Yup I bought it to hoping there would be people playing during U.S. time zones, but nope it's just like every other PC sim. Completely dead.

9. Galaga

Galaga Banned

While far from ideal, there has been some improvement in activity levels during u.s. time zones. To help people more easily find activity during their time zones, I have added filters for both hour and weekday as well as the server name to the Mod @ Trk by Hour tab of MatchMaker Statistics (Link). So, for example if you look at weekdays between 17:00 and 23:00 you will see ISI servers, SimHQ, VRS, SR4L, F1RFT, ISR, SRT, etc. have had some traffic during that window of time.

10. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I love gsc it's one of my favs, it's no RFactor 2 though.

The feeling is really nice though, what Reiza have done with RFactor 1 is excellent. Great physics, great FFB (always have the ability to tune it to your liking), you can still feel the braking dynamics/physics on cars with ABS (ahem, Assetto Corsa), it's just great overall with nothing that makes you say omg this physics aspect is way overly difficult, or, omg this physics aspect is so dumbed down and simplified.

It feels like they nailed the FFB and physics mix of good sense of control WITHOUT FEELING LIKE THE PHYSICS WERE DUMBED DOWN/COMPENSATED FOR in order to get that sense of grip, weight and control.

The only thing that bothers me is that sometimes it seems like you need to add too much lock to get around a corner, only sometimes this comes up though. For example, sometimes in the late 80s Mclaren you need to give it more lock than needed to get around a fast corner, it's weird, overall fantastic though :)

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2013
  11. Matt Sentell

Matt Sentell Registered

The reason it's awesome:

Heusinkveld is the real deal.

12. Barf Factor

Barf Factor Registered

Game Stock Car 2013 is brilliant, it is well worth the $25. And it has kart racing

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

His NSX testing has to be because of the Senna game, it has to be.

14. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

WOW, ok as good as RFactor 1/Game Stock Car is regarding road cars, thst just brought it up another notch again

I just dont understand how there are sim racing fans who don't get on with ISI based physics, just don't understand at all.

It must have something to do with some peoplesFFB preferences/expectations, hardware and their perception of what the car is doing, rather than an issue with the sim/physics themselves.

ISI sims still feel wayy closer to the real life racing for me than any other sims.

I just can't wait/hope that Neils (and Reiza in general) start using the RFactor 2 engine.

15. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

There's a bit of truth to that.
    GSC is using more natural lighting settings than rF2 and pretty well balanced tone of textures, which gives that natural feel of rendered images.

I'd love to do the same with rF2, but I can't. Lighting colors are provided by rF2 engine, so you cannot fix them from outside, like you could with rF1.

16. Domi

Domi Registered

Talking about rF1; because the game is old. Trust me that if tomorrow some racing game with good visuals and the same rF1 physics engine is launched (but without people knowing this), they would say how amazing the physics are. The problem is that once they hear "rF1 engine" they ran away, because most of them have only tried random mods with average quality, without using proper FFB (people loves clipping), etc.

On that video you can see how good rF1 physics can be if they are used properly. I would like to say the same about rF2, but there is so little control on the tire physics that it makes it hard to work with.

17. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

This is what happens when you move towards more advanced physics. You can no longer "control the outcome" (pacejka), but need to define the cause (thermodynamic model) and research the topic well enough, to get good results.

It's more difficult, but I wouldn't say it's a bad thing. Modders will need to step up their game. I'm guessing some will and some will not.

18. Mibrandt

Mibrandt Registered

This really looks much better than RF2. Better colors, better lighting,no flickering etc. I wish RF2 would soon become visually crisp, clean and smooth with realistic colors. I agree about its cartoonish look - its such a shame and waste. Lately it is beginning to improve though so I still have high hopes. Might give GSC 2013 a go in the meantime :)

19. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Totally worth twice the 25€. Track convertions keep coming in everyday, some are up to 2013 standards, some arent, but if you dont mind the looks of GSC2012 all those tracks work straight up.
    Blancpain has been converted to 13 and GT world cars.
    F1 retro ('75 skins/talents/names) in nordschleife.. absolutely brilliant.

20. Domi

Domi Registered

There are two problems in my view; first is that we don't know if this new approach of tire model really works at it should (I don't think anyone here has tried to compare the results of the TGMs with slip angle vs forces graphs from real tires, etc), so whatever we do, we are very dependant of the tire model itself. The Pacejka style model might be less complex but it's very easy to work with, and you can make tires with different known characteristics in a matter of minutes, and try in game.

And second, we have the classic lack of information from ISI, there are still values that nobody really knows well what are they doing. Plus it's almost impossible to know the exact tire construction details with such degree of accuracy as needed in the TGM. And the time needed to generate one single tgm is another important problem...

From a modder perspective this tire model is not a good option in my opinion. It's probably better if you have all the tire construction/materials properties/thermal properties, and maybe it's easier to work with ISI internal tools, I don't know, but you can count with the fingers of one hand how many people (modders) has/will have all this data and/or knowledge.