rF2 Track Reviews

Discussion in 'Third Party Content' started by peevee, Feb 10, 2016.

1. peevee

peevee Registered

I am a big rF2 fan and at the moment it is my go to sim, but as I discover it I am realising that there are many really bad looking add-on tracks. When I say 'bad looking' I mean that they are packed with jaggies and the off track terrain is something out of a bad acid trip with eyeball damage a possibility.
    Perhaps some of these tracks have excellent 'physics' and the other stuff that makes good tracks. As a visual person the way tracks look are very important and sometimes all it takes is one lap to bin a track because it looks bad.
    I admit: I hate jaggies and therefore anything where the jaggies actually catch my attention more than the braking zone or an apex is to me unacceptable. If there are jaggies but they are not too intense then I might stay with the track and live with the mild jaggies because the other elements are cool.
    I have started this thread to keep a record of track reviews I make as I journey through rF2 and perhaps like minded souls (if there are any) can use this as a reference and even join in with critique or feedback and even do their own track reviews.

Some of the criteria I use to test tracks are
    1. Cars used for test: Indycar & Renault Megane World Trophy MOD 1.1 normally fields between 24 and 30 cars
    2. In the reviews the following are confirmed and/or work correctly with regards to reviewed tracks: penalties for false start, pitlane speeding, cutting track penalty, sector-times, start and finish procedure, starting lights and pit-limiter
    3. System used: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, with Memory: 32768MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970, single screen 1920 x 1080 (60.000Hz) with all in-game graphics at full settings

Below is a list of tracks I tested and did not meet the basic standards set for these reviews and which I have uninstalled from my rF2 track roster until they are improved either by updates or as all new release for rF2.

Tracks to avoid:

Daytona SCES Road Course 2.7 by SimHQmotorsport
    Last reviewed early February 2016
    With Daytona 24 Hours happening in January I was keen to do some laps on an rF2 version and my findings is that the SCES version is way below standard of the new generation ISI and 3PA tracks. This version is visually unpleasant with jaggies and sub-standard graphics, the apron to banked curve transition just bad, and the AI is terrible. Not recommended.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2016
  2. peevee

peevee Registered

Portugal/Estoril is a track most long time simmers know well as I think it was in Geoff Crammond's GP2 and also GTR2, and personally I have been there many times since the eighties, walked it many times as a photographer and driven on it too. Have made this the benchmark rF2 track upon which others will be compared in future reviews until a better one emerges.

Track Facts

Track: Portugal (Circuito Estoril)
    Version: 2.0
    Track Maker: ISI
    Sim: rFactor2
    Track Info: Portugal International is a former Grand Prix track with noticeable elevation changes and an interesting mix of both slow and high speed turns. Multiple overtaking spots are available, and the circuit was a favorite among drivers and teams. Was once the go to track for F1, DTM, WEC testing. Currently the circuit is used for small racing events and occasionally as a testing facility.
    Configurations: 2 versions: Grand Prix and GT
    Real Life Link: http://www.circuito-estoril.pt/en/
    Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/6znt0222v1bq0ld/ISI_Portugal_2009-v200.rfcmp
    Track Type: Permanent Road
    Original rF2 or Conversion: Original
    Last Update: 10 July 2015
    Last Reviewed: 08-02-2016

Test Feedback

How are the AI: Good and racey, but maybe a tad slow in the final turn (as pointed out in reply below)
    FPS Start: 75-80
    FPS General: 170 STEADY
    Jaggies: Not noticeable
    Graphics Quality: Good
    Look & Feel: Good
    Review Summary: Does almost everything well and is an enjoyable track to make your 'home' base to test and create setups on. Has fast areas, twisty bits and some big corners. Easy on the eyes and captures the atmosphere of Estoril very nicely. From an rFactor 2 and simming perspective it ticks all the boxes in terms of look and feel, drivability, AI behaviour etc.

View attachment 19304

3. peevee

peevee Registered

Track Facts

Track: Mid Ohio
    Version: 2.02
    Track Maker: Mid Ohio Virtua LM
    Track Info: Virtua_LM is proud to introduce you with Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course for rFactor2. Converted from our scratch creation on rFactor, this track has been modified to take advantage of new rFactor 2 capabilities.
    Configurations: two versions - No Chicane and Chicane
    Real Life Link: https://www.midohio.com/
    Download Link: http://www.simroad.com/virtua_lm-mid-ohio-v2-02-released/
    Track Type: Permanent road circuit
    Original or Conversion: Conversion
    Last Update: 27 November 2015
    Last Reviewed: 15 February 2016

Test Feedback

How are the AI: Generally good but maybe be a touch too slow through Turn 1 otherwise quite handy. AI are racey and good to race against with no silliness. They can block aggressively but realistically and stubbornly - just like the real deal.
    FPS Start: 70-80
    FPS General: 150
    Jaggies: Yes. But can live with them as other elements are of a high standard
    Graphics Quality: The jaggies, which tend to blemish rFactor converted tracks, they are the only negative thing I can really moan about. Nevertheless, and despite this, the immersion factor is still great and one can live with the jaggies as the other graphical elements are fine.
    Look & Feel: Has good immersion value and looks like a true US style race track
    Review Summary: One of those classic North American race tracks which I personally enjoy such as - Road America, Watkins, Laguna etc - undulating and challenging but also good to race on. This version of Mid-Ohio compares favourably with others I have driven eg. iRacing. A track that is a pleasure to drive and race on.
    Until a scratch built rF2 version of Mid-Ohio is available this will do for now.

Adendum:
    The Renault Megane Trophy v1.02 is a total blast to drive around here

View attachment 19305

4. Emery

Emery Registered

You don't notice how slow the AI can be in the last corner at Portugal? I suppose it might the cars you're driving.

5. peevee

peevee Registered

There's me thinking I was just super hot in that final turn and now you spoil it all!
    :cool:

6. Paul Fenwick

Paul Fenwick Registered

great idea ...will look forward to more reviews in the future !!

7. MaD_King

MaD_King Registered

The last official version available is the 2.02 on my side : http://www.simroad.com/virtua_lm-mid-ohio-v2-02-released/

8. peevee

peevee Registered

Track Facts

Track: Palm Beach Intl. Raceway
    Version: 1.43
    Track Maker: ISI
    Track Info: Formerly known as Moroso Motorsports Park and opened in 1964, Palm Beach International Raceway is a popular testing facility for a wide range of racing machines, along with a race track host in it’s own right. At 3.2 km, the roadcourse is a nice mix of flowing turns and flat-out straights, running parallel to an IHRA-sanctioned drag strip and karting course.
    Configurations: 1
    Real Life Link: http://www.racepbir.com/
    Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/download/faj9b6dcrf2cj62/ISI_PalmBeach_2012-v143.rfcmp
    Track Type: Permanent road course
    Scratch or Conversion: Scratch built
    Last Update: 10 May 2013
    Last Reviewed: 11 February 2016

Test Feedback

How are the AI: Good to race against. But do at times slow down too much under braking. An area that can be tweaked to improve.
    FPS Start: 80 FPS with 30 cars
    FPS General: 170 FPS steady
    Jaggies: Graphics can be improved as there are jaggies aplenty, but they are not intrusive enough to spoil the immersion one gets with this track.
    Graphics Quality: Not up there with latest generation rF2 tracks, but lots of potential and time for a revamp of the visuals. Minor irritation (for me): Flags on poles wave non-stop which was cool once upon a time but now it's like: WTF are they waving for when there is no wind.
    Look & Feel: Track has simple surroundings and features but no big deal eye candy. Flat as a pancake with no elevations. The appeal for me is that it is a purpose built track for racing and that's what it delivers well. I would say best suited for tintops eg. Touring Cars, Megane, DTM, Flat6 and GT3 (although the latter two are a handful but well worth the effort!) as well as smaller single seaters eg. Formula 2 and below.
    Review Summary: ISI should ASAP do a revamp and update of this gem of a track which grows on me each time I drive it, but meanwhile it is still well worth having on your track roster.
    :cool:
    View attachment 19309

9. peevee

peevee Registered

10. DurgeDriven

DurgeDriven Banned

Time to bash ugly tracks. lol

You know kyalami alpha has more feeling in its little toe then 3/4 of the good looking tracks. !@!

11. peevee

peevee Registered

Kyalami is my home track - I grew up there and it was where my photo career began in the early eighties.
    Typically I only drive on Version 1 or higher of an sim tracks - no beta stuff...
    But would like to check in on Kyalami - do you have link to it?

12. call-911

call-911 Registered

I love this! A 'king of the hill' for each track review. Please, by all means ADMINS, prune all comments like mine right now in order to just keep it review content.

13. peevee

peevee Registered

Keep the comments and suggestions going on this thread because it is a way to set and sustain a benchmark. This is not meant to be "the be and end all" of reviews but simply a reference point for simmers who are discerning about rF2 tracks - thus collective input is constructive

14. peevee

peevee Registered

With Mid-Ohio must say did not notice a big difference on the graphics side between 2.01 and 2.02 - jaggies remain. And also the AI seem pretty much the same as mentioned in the review.

15. peevee

peevee Registered

Track Facts

Track: Sebring International Raceway
    Version: 2.02
    Track Maker: VirtuaLM
    Track Info: Sebring (pronounced "sea bring") Raceway is one of the oldest continuously-operating race tracks in the United States, its first race being run in 1950. Sebring is one of the classic race tracks in North American sports car racing[citation needed], and plays host to the 12 Hours of Sebring, one of the legs of the unofficial triple crown of endurance racing. The raceway occupies a portion of Sebring Regional Airport, an active airport for private and commercial traffic that was originally built asHendricks Army Airfield, a World War II training base for the U.S. Army Air Forces.
    Configurations: 3
    Real Life Link: http://www.sebringraceway.com/
    Download link: http://www.racedepartment.com/downloads/sebring-international-raceway.106/
    Track Type: Permanent Road Course
    Original rF2 or Conversion: Conversion history rFactor>>>GTR2>>>GT-Legends/Race07>>>rFactor 2
    Last Update: 27 November 2015
    Last Reviewed: 16 February 2016

Test Feedback

How are the AI: In most sections they are superb, but they get Turn 1 and the Turn 17 (final turn) wrong and are pretty slow through both these. Those two areas need some work. Nevertheless they are racey and go for gaps, overtake each other and block effectively without being aggressive.
    FPS Start: 30 cars 40-50 FPS and increases over the first two laps
    FPS General: Steady 130-140 FPS
    Jaggies: There are some and also shimmering objects but hardly noticeable and not an eye sore.
    Graphics Quality: Good
    Look & Feel: Captures the atmosphere really well especially on race day with the motorhomes etc. Very flat so definitely has an airport feel to it.
    Review Summary: A classic race circuit very well replicated for rF2 and really an essential track to have on your roster. Kind of track you just want to keep driving on as there are so many areas to try and perfect. To get it all 100% correct (almost impossible) is a challenge. For me its the kind of track which sums up why I drive sims as it sucks you in and before you know it a couple of hours are gone by such is the immersion. In terms of what to drive on it and enjoy, I would reccomend anything above GT3, of course LMPs on here are fantastic as they should be, and single seaters anything from F.Renault 3.5 are great, as are is Indycar DW12.
    A must have track.
    View attachment 19387

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2016
  16. Paul Fenwick

Paul Fenwick Registered

regarding the ai being a little slow in t1 and t17....if the original authors have not addressed these slight problems can others do that for them ???

17. Andy_rsrf

Andy_rsrf Registered

:cool: and nice Racetrack ...without HDR visually endurable:

http://isiforums.net/f/showthread.php/26279-Kyalami-Racing-Circuit

Cheers!