rf2 on steam won't open anymore

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by bd smith, May 9, 2023.

1. bd smith

bd smith Registered

i hadn't played it for about a month maybe, and it did at least one recent update. yesterday i tried to open it to do some play and it just gets stuck on the initial "rf2" banner screen and won't open/load. it's usually kinda slow since i run it from an external drive, but it would always open.
    thanks in advance for helping. rf2 is one of my favorite sims and i really want to use it!

2. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Unfortunately I think your posts weren't visible until just recently as you're a new forum poster.

For a quick attempt at a fix try renaming your UserData folder, verify local files in rF2s steam properties, and try again.

Next step would be runtimes. Run all 4 files in the Support\Runtimes folder, repair or install each one when prompted. Then download both x86 and x64 drivers from here and run-repair-install those as well.

3. bd smith

bd smith Registered

thanks a ton Lazza! am trying these suggestions now. i will update soon...

4. bd smith

bd smith Registered

renaming the userdata folder fixed it! thank you!

davehenrie likes this.
  5. bd smith

bd smith Registered

I spoke too soon.... worked for a while. Then I let windows 10 run an update. Then ACC updated on steam. Then rf2 demonstrated a new problem: goes past the splash screen now and halts on the black screen with the arrow head pointer active. And just stays stuck there. I also had to update my fanatec csl elite wheelbase drivers because I had no ffb. After that rf2 refused to load. Again, help!

6. As @Lazza said: if there was an update reinstall the vcredist.exe - they can also be found in (I think) rfactor 2\support (somewhere). Some of the Win10 updates overwrite or deinstall the older vcredist.exe libs and that's why rF2 refuses to start / work properly.

If it loads until the black screen (after the splash one) try just clicking with your mouse in it - it happens to one of my installs, too.

7. Lazza

Lazza Registered

For a more specific potential fix (if the runtimes don't do it, and note per my earlier post there are 4 that come with the game, and 2 you should get from MS), delete the file called dynamic.cache that's in your UserData\Log\Shaders folder. Apparently there's some issue with that they'll fix with the next update. (it's relatively rare, though, so the Runtimes should hopefully be the issue)

8. bd smith

bd smith Registered

thanks again. i'm going to keep this post handy in case it refuses to load again - it's so picky!
    as you said, clicking in the black screen with the arrowhead present indeed did give it a boot and it loaded. however, prior to trying that i also did go thru all the runtimes as you said to do, then i ran the steam verification, then attempted to load, that's when the mouse click in the black screen finally worked.
    but i will retain all the other suggestions you've provided because it seems like there's lots of way the load can be halted by other software.
    another small note is that a skin mod also crashed it. this was a bummer because it's a cool mod (70's f5000 skins for 70's f1 mod). i imagine there will be other blockages due to mods that will surface as i go back thru various mods and playtime. we'll see what happens next.....

9. davehenrie

davehenrie Registered

Search out @Chris Lesperance, he did MOST of the F5k skins. See if he can help you. One thing to remember about skins, Some are mod files placed in the packages folder and some go directly to the base car folder. if you place a .mas file in a folder then that skin file has to be moved IF the base car was updated.(& I think the 70's mod was updated recently)