rf2 no longer working after trying Public BETA.

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by vernwozza, Dec 20, 2019.

1. vernwozza

vernwozza Registered

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this isn't posted in the right place. I just wanted to share my experience with the s397 guys, hopefully it will help improve the new BETA.

I updated my rf2 to the public BETA as per instructions, no issues there. When I booted rf2 up for the first time after the update it got stuck in some kind of workshop item authentication loop and requested to restart everytime I booted up. I eventually gave up on that and cancelled it instead of restarting.

I then went to start a race, S397 gt3 Aston Martin at Valencia (mod). When selecting car I clicked customise and it took me to the showroom. I couldn't see anyway to exit out of the showroom, I tried to recall what fullscreen toggle was but everything I tried just reset the camera and hitting ESC, space, enter etc did nothing.

I ended up trying to shut the program via task manager and it didn't work so I just shut down my system.

When I went to try rF2 again after system reboot I got an error message, i'm sorry I clicked off it too quickly without properly taking note. It was something to do with Memory. It then crashed and every time I tried to launch rF2 I would just get a black box where the rF2 logo would usually appear.

I then reverted to my old pre-BETA update build and now rF2 doesn't start. The rF2 logo comes up and goes no further.

I don't mind reinstalling and starting from scratch, i've been meaning to for a while actually but if I can find a fix that would be handy as would like to just race over christmas and figure out what content I want to keep.

For the record, I've never had an issue with rF2 running in the past, it's been pretty much rock solid for me up until last night.

Hope this helps in some way.

Thanks,
    Vern

2. a.stagea

a.stagea Registered

I had the same experience as you and the error was a memory allocation error.
    After trying reboot, shutdowns, verifying files, reverting out of the beta, etc still can't get it load
    Now I can't get past the RF2 splash screen so it doesn't load up
    PC memory test shows no errors

3. Bernd

Bernd Registered

@vernwozza @a.stagea In cases like yours, i would suggest to let the game generate new user files.
    Sometimes such problems get solved by that.
    Before you start the game, rename the folder
    ..\Steam\steamapps\common\rFactor 2\UserData
    into UserData_backup for example.
    Then start the game.
    The game will create a new UserData folder with all needed files now.
    Good luck!

a.stagea likes this.
  4. vernwozza

vernwozza Registered

Thanks for the advice, good for future reference.

Unfortunately it arrives a bit late as I reinstalled rf2 and it all works fine again. Bit hesitant to try the Beta again as things are working well again now.

5. a.stagea

a.stagea Registered

Thanks for the great advice, Bernd
    That worked and now have a clean user folder once it finishes updating workshop items and other data