rF2 Multiple installs on Steam (Tutorial)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by danalm, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Juergen-BY

Juergen-BY Registered

Download of Workshop items with SteamCmd seems not working, i`m getting allways just a 2 byte file...

2. Week

Week Registered

I follow all the steps, but when I reach step 10 it gives me error "can not find steamcmd.exe"

3. Navigator

Navigator Registered

@danalm

Thanks mate, this got me the second install I wanted.

But now I wonder; if I go to steam and click for the open Beta, it does only the original install, right?
    How can I update the second install?

Your tut is very good; I got it working and that should be the benchmark; if I understand, everyone will ;)
    Btw, I also had to click in the path of that second .exe and I had it unzipped right next to the first. But no problem there of course.

Again, thanks man, very nice!

4. Narrowbackwing

Narrowbackwing Registered

Thank you , great tutorial .

5. Navigator

Navigator Registered

I withdraw my question.

I noticed that subscribing to workshop items, doesn't give me that mod anymore. Not in the original, not in the second.
    I also got the message that there was a problem; the game had been played on another system and synchronising was some kind of problem. If I were to continue, progress might get lost.

I deleted the complete second install, but still no content comes in when I subscribe.
    So, my install may be broke?

Does anyone have an idea of what I can do now besides doing a complete new install? :(

6. lamck

lamck Registered

Have you tried the "Verify Integrity of Game Files" to repair the original copy?

To run 2nd or 3rd ... install properly, you need to run steam first, it will login in your account, then run the launcher.exe of the install you want. It will update the workshop content automatically.

If you run launcher.exe of other install directly, it will not login to the steam account and workshop content update will not occur.

7. Sento Siete

Sento Siete Registered

Same for me, what must we do?

8. danalm

danalm Registered

Did you download and extract the steamcmd.exe?

9. MarcG

MarcG Member

Thanks for the tutorial, I got as far as:
    Please note though, that there are some shortcomings with this method. For one, subscribing to Workshop items will sync the content on all installed rF2 copies.

Has anyone found a way to have one install with Workshop content and a 2nd with Vanilla/Blank and then able to install selected content to that 2nd install?
    Thanks.

10. Mangoletsi

Mangoletsi Registered

I guess I'm lazy, I just do the same as I did in rFactor1, and copy and paste the rFactor2 folder, and make a shortcut to the rFactor2.exe instead of the launcher. If I want to install a rfmod, I use the mod manager instead of the launcher.