RF2, it's got the be easy and it's got to stay easy

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gogs Dunlop, Jun 18, 2011.

1. isamu

isamu Registered

What is the problem with 150mb tracks or 2GB mods?

2. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

I wrote it already: in case I referred to, it is download time.

3. Nimugp

Nimugp Registered

Besides that, how will the game know which content is legal or illegal. Some content will be illegaly converted, or some content will have problems with the proper rights to use it. If ISI give us the option to download it, can't that give them problem??? (I don't know that much about laws etc, but I assumme that could get them into problems, couldn't it???)

4. Satangoss

Satangoss Registered

It's not so easy the "V" and "X" icon stuff, the game would need do a complete search in your Rfactor folder and perform some CRC checking. I've seen 4 different Laguna Seca tracks for Rfactor. The same for the Mod itself. And there're a lot of things in addition to create problem to join any server beyound the name of files.

We have to find a compromise, not totally stifled as Live for Speed and neither chaotic as rF1...

5. Lazza

Lazza Registered

Satangoss, the mismatch system already uses CRC I believe, at least on the values pulled out of files (comments don't cause mismatches as far as I know, so I would guess the CRC is done on values in memory). Since it doesn't include GMTs or textures it doesn't take long to calculate; obviously at the moment it's probably only done on the mod and track being loaded, but you could just run down the list of servers and check potentially matching content updating the 'match' status as you go.

As for the server, it need only calculate the mod once and each track as it loads it, so there's no reason it couldn't be done.

6. Nanook

Nanook Registered

Seem to recall Nascar Racing 2003 had good server filters.

7. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

Well, that is definately not true!
    Counter Strike can handle this very good as well.
    As Admin you have the choice between disabling map download, enabling a throttled automatic download or add an alternate http mirror with the same content as the server which can provide the missing files.

Last choice works with 100 mbit, ultra fast.
    I can download with 15 mb/sec, so what should a 150 mb download bother me?

Right, such bandwith isnt standard yet, but even with 16.000 kbit you can download with 1,6 mb/sec.

8. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

Yep I agree, hopefully we will make it a better experience for you with rF2

9. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

Why are you talking about CS?
    Ask simracing league administrators for how many of them will use auto-download feature if available. I can answer for my self and our whole portal: we will disable this feature for sure.

10. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

Well, i am comparing with css, because it makes onlineplaying easy, everything you need to participate on the server will be automatically downloaded.
    Slow from the gameserver
    Fast from a mirror if available.

This is interesting for Publicservers mostly.
    Leagues could build their own packages to their members, but some others would love to see such a feature.

Missing files, wrong Mod- / trackversions making online racing impossible in rf1 now.

11. MaXyM

MaXyM Registered

OK, if it is interesting for public servers, who will pay for that? (I mean for hosting and data traffic)
    You are right. Better filtering of servers with content compatibility checking would solve this.

However as I have read, ISI made it better already in incoming rF2. I'm looking forward.

12. Gonzo

Gonzo Member

Yeah, rf2 is handling this completely different.

Well, an http / ftp mirror isnt an issue for leagues, becaus they had to host their files anyway.
    Costs are up to leagues, and not up to you ;).

13. ORA-Quasi

ORA-Quasi Registered

As founder and admin at 'Online Racing Australia' I'm endlessly surprised by the number of racers who don't read forums related to RF servers they want to join.

We used to run open servers from time to time, but if we were hosting a mod that we had a custom skin pack, or a track which had a patch of some kind (such as a 'fix' so getting out of the sand was not impossible), then casual racers would get a mismatch, so we've not run an open server for quite some time. Additionally, I see it as a courtesy to those many racers who take part in a racing community, and use that community's servers regularly [or exclusively] to register on that related forum and introduce yourself.

The benefit for you is that you're under no obligation to be there other than when it suits you, and are still able to access the full details of what is on the server, including mod and track versions, patches, skin packs, etc. The amount of hours I spend running ORA is so close to a full time job it's crazy, and all I ever ask in return is that people who want to race simply check the related race thread on the forum, so that they know what they need to know.

I even have a section with the details of mod and track(s) that are on the server even when we don't have an organised event or series round coming up. It may be a new release mod, or track, we want to test out, or it may be something to give a bit of variety in our online racing experience, but everything racers need to know before joining the server is laid out clearly to help avoid mismatches for whatever reason, and if you still get a mismatch we have so many guys ready to help sort it out it's easy to feel spoiled :)

If you want to load up RF and just pick an open server from the matcmaker lobby (or whatever third party software you may use) then you roll the dice I'm afraid.