rF2 in UltraWideScreen 21:9

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by CRex, Feb 13, 2013.

1. CRex

CRex Registered

So I did something crazy, I bought the Dell 2913WM monitor with a 21:9 aspect ratio. I have just got it up and running and here are my screens for comparison:

21:9
    View attachment 6190

16:9
    View attachment 6191

I see my 21:9 screenshot is 1920x810. But my settings in the sim is 2560x1080 which is my native resolution. Gotta look into that..

2. John.Persson

John.Persson Registered

3. CRex

CRex Registered

No option for 21:9 on the calculator yet, but some good advice in that thread on FOV. I'll have to work on this, it's quite different from my previous 16:9 27".

4. CRex

CRex Registered

5. dsuspense

dsuspense Registered

Hmm...I think this is a great alternative to a triple head setup...or even better, how about a triple setup with these monitors!

6. clockit

clockit Registered

7. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I think the best use of the ultra wide screen displays would be 3 across and 2 high for a total of 6 monitors. You would take away the issue of narrow vFOV and still have wide screens angled at the sides. You would just need to get used to that annoying line running across the middle of your screen all the time, :)

8. kaptainkremmen

kaptainkremmen Registered

use them in portrait mode :)

9. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Excellent suggestion KK, wish I had thought of that, lol.

10. MrPix

MrPix Registered

I've added 21:9... this reminds me... I must get back on the WIP for the FOV calc... kind of got lost in life... but back on track now :)

11. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 14, 2013
  12. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

That first one must be bugged, after the countless threads and posts talking about lowering the fov to the 18-35 range, it's telling me my fov should be almost 60!!! Plus it doesn't change regardless if I click rf1, rf2, single screen, or tri-screens, so not sure why those options are even there....

13. MrPix

MrPix Registered

<< WIP Duh!

rF1 and rF2 use the same vertical FOV.... and it doesn't matter if you have 1 screen or 3 screens for rF1 or rF2 because the vertical FOV is the same.

What is the diagonal measurement of one of your screens Spinelli (in inches) and how far are you eyes from the screen itself (in inches) and what ratio is it?

As an example, the 21:9 ratio screen (OP) is 29inches across the diagonal and I sit with my eyes about 30in from my screen, therefore the vertical FOV given by the math in the calculator is 21.6 degrees.

A further example for my triple monitors, I take one of my screens 24inches diagonal, 16:10 ratio and sitting 30inches from eyes to screen gives me just under 24 degrees vertical FOV.

Both examples are well within the 18-35 range you speak of so I'm not sure it is as bugged as you make out... please come back with your info on how you get 60 degrees from it so that I can fix it.

The plan for that calculator was to expand the options so that if ever rF2 had fully variable screen metrics, I could accommodate them easy. The drop downs are effectively placeholders for other games and like most WIP's it way from finished... (just like rF2 is constantly evolving).

Progress stalled for several reasons, one of which is people complaining with no understanding about it's purpose... I got cheesed off with it (a bit like a dev of rF2 would if all they got was complaints that it's not finished all the while, when it was clear that it was a moving goalpost that most likely will never be finished..... e.g. a WIP. ;))

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2013
  14. clockit

clockit Registered

@ Spinelli, it;s not a bad FOV, but it would be better if the monitor's were 5:4, ie 2560 x 2000.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2013
  15. CRex

CRex Registered

The GUI doesnt work in 21:9, or there's no option for it. I can choose widescreen and have it stretched to 21:9 or choose 4:3 which gives you atleast a correct picture in 4:3 in the center of the screen. This doesnt really matter much. But replays dont work in either mode, ending up either streched or compressed.

Now I might be the only one with this aspect ratio for rF2 so far, so I dont expect ISI to correct this in the nearest future.

It's definitely growing on me, this 21:9 exprerience. I've lost some vertical vision but that means just less sky or inside car roof. What I gain horizontally improves both situational awareness and immersion and is definitely worth the trade, even from my rather large 27" 16:9 that I used previously.

@MrPix: thx for the updated calculator, will give it another go.

16. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Hi MrPix sorry didn't know it was wip, I entered 23 for screen size (23 inch monitor) and I have my screen about 10 inches from my face, maybe 12, but I put in 10, and it was giving me a fov of about 58-59.....

17. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

How do u loose vertical vision I don't understand? Going from 4:3 to 16:10 to 16:9 to 21:9 they should all be the exact same image, except seeing more and more to the sides.....

18. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

I believe he might be calculating the FOV based on the height of the monitor at a given distance, which when done that way would change the height that you see as well as the width as 22" monitors get smaller in height the higher the format. 4:3 is going to be a lot taller monitor for a 22" than a 16:9.

BTW, how the heck do you see anything on screen with it 12" from your eyes?

19. CRex

CRex Registered

It's because I've allowed myself a closer FOV now with the wider screen. Like I posted in the Corvette and Clio screens above. But you're right, I got the same vertical resolution (1080) so I could keep the same FOV as before and just see more to the sides. However I've moved my seat forward and still can see more to the sides than before :)

20. JuanitoRPM

JuanitoRPM Registered

10 inches... you are crazy? Think in your eyes man.