rf2 graphics quality expectations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nazirull Safry Paijo, Feb 18, 2013.

1. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

What daytime is this? And what track?

I tried your profile in LRP but it did not look the same... tried times between 4:00-7:00 AM.

2. 10speed

10speed Registered

optimized realroad + new track + new mod + new hdr profile

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

3. spider19462000

spider19462000 Registered

4. Davy TASB

Davy TASB Registered

Errr, eye candy expectations are what this thread is about. :D

5. Knight of Redemption

Knight of Redemption Registered

Yes and given that there is always someone going on about it that does suggest it is importance to quite a few people. I would also add something that has been said before, graphical shine is something that is relatively easy to bolt on according to those in the know, and ISI have said it is low down the list at the moment but will be done later. First bake the cake, then add the icing.

6. stonec

stonec Registered

While messing with my old PC today I decided to have a go at the very first rFactor2 build, to see in which way things have progressed since then, since I hear people claim that the graphics have improved a lot over the builds.
    I was quite surprised to notice that the graphics quality actually seemed better in the first build, at least in certain ways. To demonstrate, I took a couple of screenshots from Sepang below:

Sepang pit:

View attachment 6365

View attachment 6366

Sepang turn3:

View attachment 6368

View attachment 6369

As you can see, the sun and its reflections seem to be totally gone from the latest version. Also pay attention to the white color on the sides of the car, it looks much more clear in the first build and muddy in the latest one. The whole color tone seems to have taken a step towards excessively warm, which at least on my screen looks worse than the original.
    As I ran this experiment with the same PC hardware and the same settings (possibly different graphics drivers), I find this development a bit surprising.

7. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I've raced with the OP and he is not only fast but an excellent driver. I don't think he is just concerned with graphics but he wants to know what to expect. I agree that graphics are not very important but ultimately it is part of the experience and we all should expect a game in 2013 to look great and have DX11 graphics. It's not a game breaker for most sim racers but for some it will be. As sim racers we are an odd bunch as far as games go and REALLY odd as PC games go. We hold on to one game for 5, 10 years and we are used to crappy graphics. A lot of sim racers I talk to don't like gaming and hate computers lol!

Don't take this as a whiners or gimme thread. You can't separate graphics and gaming.

8. osella

osella Registered

I agree we should all expect some graphics quality but, for the 13433574341th time :p: version of DX has little to do with how the game looks, advantage of DX11 is that it runs faster on DX11 hardware, but it doesn't look any better than DX9 (despite 9 being 8yr or so old)

9. Golanv

Golanv Registered

...and thats the point of having DX11 so that the rest of the computing power eating stuff can run with better graphics while still having good fps.

10. Duvel

Duvel Registered

I like the progress with the visuals, like Limerock, etc, and the corvette is very nice. I know there's much that needs to be done, but i would like to see special attention on cockpit poly counts and textures for those using triple screens. We zoom in much closer, maybe it's time to have the option for super high quality cockpits for triples or something. A small example is the quality of the dashboard texture in the corvette when up close, it's blurry and ruins it.

11. osella

osella Registered

Yeah but it's not like DX11 version would run at 100% higher fps, the gain is rather small, maybe in units %, or 20% if done really well and it would be a lot of work for ISI so it's still questionable if it's worth it.

12. Tosch

Tosch Registered

You are right. The specular shader of the newer builds is quite dull. Thats the reason why screen shots look so strange under sunny conditions and much better at dawn (when fresnel reflection is more dominant).

13. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

I'd like to see the tire wear on the tires more. I did a test at Joesville with the FR 3.5 and with severely worn tires (I had no bars left) there was very little visual indication (it is an open wheeler after all) of the wear. In the early builds I could see the wear a lot better.

14. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Nazirull Safry Paijo Registered

the cars especially lacks reflective shaders...would look better if they do

15. Tosch

Tosch Registered

The pic on top is what we have now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. TIG_green

TIG_green Registered

And the lower picture is from some older build?

You have not answered my previous question... :p

17. Alesi

Alesi Registered

AC also has a small dev team, but the level of graphic much higher (just one or even 2 leveles up from ISI - and physics also on a good level at least equal or maybe even better)

18. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Ah....better reflection shader on the old build. The lastest build looks like they have a Lomo or Vintage effect to it haha.

19. Nazirull Safry Paijo

Different graphics engine

20. Alesi

Alesi Registered

thats right, so why ISI cant make g.engine with such graphic level?