rf2 graphics quality expectations

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Nazirull Safry Paijo, Feb 18, 2013.

1. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Not really.

Have you seen videos of red bulls sim? Toyotas Sim? Williams' sim? Professional corporate flight simulator sims? Military sims? They all have crappy graphics. All resources are pooled into the physics and those sort of things. Thats what a simulation is. Its to have the workings of our world represented as accurate as possible in a computer, the "workings", NOT the way things look to our eyes, but how things work in our world physically.

If graphics were part of what made a simulation then I guess battlefield and Crysis are partly simulators because they have great graphics? In the future every game will be a simulator, because they will all have great graphics? Nope, sorry, doesnt work that way, unless you think every game out there, from every genre with good graphics is a sim.

A simulation of, for example a stove oven, would be to simulate the temperature of the coil, the way it increases in heat and temperature, how that affects the electrical bill, how the heat signature from the oven can warm up the room, etc. THAT is a simulation. Making the front panel of the stove look nice and shiny, or having the heat element glowing a nice orange is NOT what makes it a sim.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2013
  2. Johannes Rojola

Johannes Rojola Registered

This looks like good simulator.

[​IMG]

3. Golanv

Golanv Registered

Nobody is talking about graphics being defining factor of a sim.

4. Gearjammer

Gearjammer Registered

Everyone wants to compare graphics of rF2 with other "sims" out there that are up and coming. How many of those other "sims" have variable light from sun and moon movement based on time of day? Part of the reason the other games can look so good is because they are dealing with a static time of day. The light never changes so they can set all their shaders up to handle only one condition of light and do it very well. If you look outside your house at noon time, are the colors vibrant or are they washed out a little due to bright sunlight? How about early in the morning or late in the evening when the sun is about to go down? Where are the shadows and how do they look? Now look at every sim out there and see how many stack up.

5. Guy Moulton

Guy Moulton Registered

Well, this is it right here. We are still constrained by our computers' resources. ISI has to make a trade off in order to make the game playable on most PCs and the fact is, the game's physics and especially the tire modelling is very resource intensive. Something like F1 2012 (yes, I'm picking on Codemasters today :p) can be all the graphics whore of a game it wants because behind the scenes it is a very simplistic driving model.

In some ways (don't shoot me for this) F1 2012 is a better sim than rF2. The F1 201X games feature a full weekend, random weather & safety car. These touches make the entire sim experience more complete than rF2, even though the driving model is no where near the level of rF2. But they traded the driving model for better graphics in the end. Our PC resources are finite.

Yeah, this is a good point too. It is an impressive effect and it makes a huge difference when you practice on a track and it's set to 1PM practice but then the race is at 6PM. Also, the light changes depending on what latitude the track is at. That's impressive also. The light at Sebring looks very different than the light at Croft.

6. Golanv

Golanv Registered

When the Guy is right, he's right.
    You need to add there somewhere "At the moment" tho, since rF2 isnt done yet, F1 2012 pretty much is.

7. K Szczech

K Szczech Registered

Unfortunately, you are.

Certainly ISI can add some more optimizations and features but it will all be within possibilities of their current engine. And this engine comes from waaaaaay back. gMotor is a constantly evolving platform, but that also means it's pretty much engine from previous era. You can add some modern features, but underlying architecture will remain the same.

So no, don't expect any surprises. It will all be gradual and within limited scope.

There are some solid foundations for good graphics and theoretically I could start making new shader pack right now. I've decided to wait for other features first, though. Especially reflections.

8. Adrianstealth

Adrianstealth Registered

Like most Physics & good ffb is the most important thing to me

Re.graphics

Lime rock is the level of graphics I'd be happy with , some enhancements to the lighting & effects would be the icing on the cake

Then it's up to the modders to ensure they sim get to a similar quality

The most recent cars the skippy & the vette look great too

I do hope ISI update the older tracks do they match lime rock

Looking forward to future releases!

9. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

Well it was mentioned that for some people, graphics is what's keeping them from purchasing a sim, which I find crazy. People must not really be race driving lovers/wanna-bes/sim-racing fans if the graphics of the best/one of the best sims out there (RFactor 2) stops them from buying the product.

That's like someone choosing not to become a real life racing driver because the racecar is ugly, and the track is in the middle of nowhere and has no trees, mountains or nothing to look at. Ok, its an extreme example, but the point is, its the racing itself that matters, the driving, turning wheel, pressing gas/brake/clutch pedal, feeling grip, pushing the limits, working on setup, feeling grip change from changing weather/surface grip, improving your speed, your consistency, your passing and defending, etc etc THAT IS SIMULATION RACING. Graphics is just to make things look nicer to our eyes, which OF COURSE we all want, but how can it actually affect someones decision to buy a sim? I find that completely ridiculous, and proves that someone doesnt really care too much about the pure driving simulation/physics, and is just looking for a fun car driving game, which there are lots of.

10. Golanv

Golanv Registered

General note to all:
    If you dont like it, dont get it, you wouldnt deserve it anyways.

11. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

Are you on the dev team or are you just talking out your arse?

12. Golanv

Golanv Registered

If rF2 catches iRacing in graphics, I'll be overjoyed. If not, I'll only be happy.

13. Spinelli

Spinelli Banned

I like iracings daytime look

14. CdnRacer

CdnRacer Banned

And they're using an "old, outdated engine". Go figure. Guess that puts K Szczech's expertise to rest.

15. 88mphTim

88mphTim racesimcentral.net

Probably just knows how to program, and has read this:
    http://imagespaceinc.com/technology/software-engine/

The expectations you have on graphics should be whatever you want them to be. We have no intention of stopping development on any specific area in any specific timeframe. Improvements in many areas are planned.

16. adaptable1

adaptable1 Registered

I think rF2 has made great improvements just in the last couple of updates. My son used to come into my office and say "it doesn't look as good/smooth as Gran Turismo 5" before build 146 (even though I am playing rF2 on 3 monitors and he plays Gran Turismo on 1, and never in cockpit view!). Now I've been able to crank up the eye candy settings on my GTX680 and he says it looks way better than Gran Turismo & Forza. I've always thought it looked really good at Mills & Malaysia, but some of the latest mods (TGTT, Spa, Silverstone, and other ported/scratch tracks), it has surpassed my expectations. I'm hoping graphics performance continues to improve.

Some of the comments on this thread are true... even with my expensive CPU/graphics setup, iRacing and pCARS seem to do more with the same hardware....but with rF2 there are so many mods, cars, and tracks plus awesome physics that don't require a subscription or even a constant internet connection. Plus, it's really unfair to compare it to un-modifiable heavy pre-rendered games like F1 2012.

Bottomline is that I can practice on tracks in rF2 or even rF1 and then go to other games and completely dominate.

17. TTupsi

TTupsi Registered

How to miss the point. By a long distance.

tl;dr: We're on the same side here. All I was saying is that if a sim is to simulate real world racing as well as possible, it must have good graphics, eh? Williams' simulator with fancy AC-GT5-GRID-name-it graphics is in my opinion better simulator than Williams' simulator with rF1 graphics.

18. Golanv

Golanv Registered

From now on adaptable1, you are the well spoken man.
    +1 on some of the stuff and tone.

19. ccjcc81

ccjcc81 Registered

You make a compelling point, but I must mention that all of the above mentioned simulators are something that is required for the people who use them to perform their job. I'm not required to use rFactor, I choose to, and spend my money to do so. Furthermore, the people who get to use the Toyotas Sim will get to go out later in the week and drive the real thing. The pilot will get to go fly the real plane. I won't, so that makes graphics pretty important to me.

Having said that, I'm happy with rF2's graphics capabilities, but I can't fully utilize them. I built a 6 core computer a while back, and spent a lot of money on a 7970 2 weeks ago specifically for rF2. I still can't crank everything up. I hope there will be a little more optimization.

20. feels3

feels3 Member Staff Member