rF2 drops to 30fps as rF2 process goes into background

Discussion in 'Bug Reports' started by hockel, Mar 24, 2014.

1. hockel

hockel Registered

I experienced this issue since rF1 and it's still happening with rF2 (Win7 to Win8.1, all the same):

While driving on track, sometimes (not often) rF2 drops to 30 FPS which you can feel and also see in Fraps when enabled.
    Basically, from one sec to the other, it's not drivable anymore.

To fix it, you simply have to bring the fullscreen windows of rF2 back to focus (foreground) by left-clicking your mouse. Where, it doesn't matter as it's a fullscreen window. Just click it.
    As soon as you click your mouse, the FPS will be back to where they where before.

Consider:
    Going into your Vehicle and on track, means you already pressed your mouse in rF2 to do so.
    But while driving, rF2 looses the focus to be the primary app running in the foreground.
    Clicking the mouse, brings rF2 back to focus and the FPS are back to normal.

I always thought of it as a 3rd-party application like SLI-Max or Trackmap will cause this to happen or maybe some baloon message from the systray like an antivirus or system message till it happened to a colleague which system has just nothing in common to mine. He told me that he has strange lags and only 30fps while usualy he runs around 80fps. I told him to just hit his left mousebutton and his fps went straight back to 80...

As we have no Hardware, Software or Drivers in common, I'm starting to believe that this issue has nothing to do with my rig, software, hardware or other plugins I use...

2. hoover

hoover Registered

I can confirm the sim goes down to a fixed 30fps when the rf2 window loses focus (if I click into the browser on the my 2nd screen, for instance). However once rf2 regains focus, fps are fine again.

I suspect some process may be stealing focus from rf2, are you running some weird virus checker or similar that might kick in at random times?

Cheers, Uwe

3. Noel Hibbard

Noel Hibbard Registered

That is probably because your running VSync and when rF2 isn't in the foreground it enables a 25ms sleep timer to reduce CPU load. When your running VSync and the game isn't keeping up it cuts the rate in half which would be 30fps. This isn't a bug, this is by design. If you don't want this then you can disable the sleep timer with this line in the PLR file:
    Code:
    Inactive Sleep Time="-1"
    This is critical if your broadcasting and stuff like that.

Edit: But reading your full post (should have done that first) it is odd that the game is losing focus. That shouldn't be happening. Regardless, this setting in the PLR file should help with that.

4. hockel

hockel Registered

I have one of the cleanest systems you can imagine, no Apps, no Tool, no Helpers, as it is only for rF2 purpose... as clean as possible

Hoover:
    No AV, no additional Software, nothing scanning in the background, not even defrag, so plain just what I need for racing...
    TS3, SLI-Max, Logitech, but that's it... even Fraps is only active when I trigger it and from past I know that the issue also appears with no Fraps installed at all...
    And as I'm keeping my system up-to-date, there is not even a possiblility of a single driver to blame... this issue exists for such a long time....

Noel:
    No v-sync, doing everything from the Nvidia Profile and not in GameSettings of rF2 as it is running ways better...

I'm using Vision Surround on 3 Screens, the other guy has an AMD and Single-Screen. As said, my system and the other guys system have nothing in common...
    Different OS, MainBoard, CPU, GPU, Wheel, Plugins,...

I don't think that this issue is on ISI. But if this is happening to more ppl, ISI has to look into it to understand and maybe, but only maybe find a way to work around it...
    At least, they need to know... and others that experience that issue, should know that a simple mouseclick can bring the FPS back to normal

5. MerlinC

MerlinC Registered

Are you using mirrors? Try to switch them off. I had the same issue with some tracks in F1RFT Mod and after I switched the mirrors off I was back to my constant high FPS. Flip side of the coin is that you don't see whats behind you any more...

P.S.: Don't know whether the performance issue is caused by track or vehicle. Don't think that's an issue of the build because my reference Nordschleife with Nissan GTR works great and isn't the smallest track -;)

Sent with Tapatalk

6. hockel

hockel Registered

Thx for the try, Merlin, but you totally missed the point of this topic

Mirrors or low FPS are not the issue here. But thanks for the good will ;)

7. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered

Don't know if that could help: if you press ALT-TAB and release the TAB keeping the ALT pressed, you will see the usual list of open windows applications. The second window will be highlighted as you requested through the ALT-TAB to switch to the next one. Checking the first window will say which application had the focus before you pressed ALT-TAB so you'll see which one had steal the focus from rF2. Hope it's clear?

In other words:

1/ if you play and don't have the problem (rF2 still have the focus), pressing ALT-TAB and releasing only TAB and you'll see (this is just an example of possible opened applications off course):

rF2 / [Google Chrome] / Notepad

rF2 had the focus and it just switched to Chrome [] as you did an ALT-TAB.

2/ If you play and just lost the rF2 focus. Press ALT-TAB and release TAB and you'll see :

Google Chrome / [rF2] / Notepad /

That mean Google Chrome had the current focus before the ALT-TAB, so it's probably the one which steal it from rF2

That's sound too easy to resolve, or at least to know which application steal the focus. Sorry if I missed the point too, just trying to help ;)

8. hockel

hockel Registered

Good Thinking YoLolo, will give it a try when it happens again
    Could take some time as the issue does not appear that often...

9. hockel

hockel Registered

Last time the issue appeared, I tried to figure out what App is taking focus by pressing ALT-Tab...
    no luck, I was just switching between rF2 Launcher and the Game itself.

So it seems that no App is gaining focus over rF2, rF2 is just loosing the focus...

10. Denstjiro

Denstjiro Registered

I did the Inactive Sleep Time="-1" thingy and also deactivated Windows Aero. worked wonders for me.
    I think you can even just deactivate transparency in Aero for the same result.

11. hockel

hockel Registered

inactive sleep should only have an effect if you switch from rf2 to the desktop and that is not true in this case
    and Win8 doesn't have any Aero anymore

keep digging ;0

12. YoLolo69

YoLolo69 Registered