rF2 Dev Mode crashes with some MAS files. AIW editing is a hell for amateur modders.

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Euskotracks, Apr 24, 2016.

1. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

Hi all,

I will divide this post in 2 parts so that the whole picture is better described.

1. BACKGROUND

I have been experiencing problems when working with my tracks in dev mode for several builds. The problem appeared when I wanted to put some cars in dev mode to do AIW related stuff.

Some day ISI will understand that the skippy is not a good car to do this task and a track modder should not have to put any other car into dev mode to create the AIW of a track.
    I know that you can define several fast paths depending on the type of the car. However, I would expect a better definition of those and a good example of each one included within dev mode. I really don't know which is the criteria that rF2 uses to apply different paths to different cars when available.

2. THE PROBLEM

I have typically used the Megane for this task. Hence, I decided to put it into dev mode as I had done in the past with the old 1.44 version.

The problem is that several files are encrypted so I had to refer to the MAS files within the gen files and maintain those in the folder structure.

HOWEVER, THIS MAKES DEV MODE CRASH AFTER LOADING THE TRACK EVEN IF THE CAR HAVING THE MAS FILES IN ITS STRUCTURE IS NOT SELECTED.

After deleting only the mas files everything works normally again. For sure the component does not work. I have not checked if the problem is caused by a fraction or the totality of the MAS files. I would tell, however that the problem seems to not affect build 1028 (I havent tested earlier builds). Following builds do have the problem.

PETITION: I would appreciate if someone could confirm the above. I would also appreciate if someone who has successfully put new megane into dev mode could explain how. It seems not to work if the mas file with hdv is not unpacked.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

2. Jka

Jka Member Staff Member

Have you tried this?

Btw, any car with encrypted content do not work in DevMode and it will crash. There is a reason why some content of rfcmp's are encrypted.

In other hand DevMode supports mas - files nowdays, so its not absolutely necessary to extract all mas files content to DevMode anymore.

3. Euskotracks

Euskotracks Registered

The older megane worked (therefore it didn't crash) despite having the sound files encrypted.
    I guess then that the problem are encrypted files containing main files (hdv, tbc...).

However it is very confusing that rF2 crashes no matter what vehicle in dev mode you pick. It can be the faulty one with encrypted mas files or the Skippy.

In any case it seems that none of the encrypted physics ISI cars can be put into dev mode.

Enviado desde mi ONE A2001 mediante Tapatalk

4. peterchen

peterchen Registered

Confirm Devmode with encrypted .mas crashes.
    DevMode is not able to decrypt it.

5. R Soul

R Soul Registered

I have a suggestion for ISI: MAS encryption makes sense to protect your content, but for AIW editing, how about providing a tool that makes a car work in dev mode but which only uses one of the low poly LOD models (I presume these already exist), and scales down the textures? A low detail/res car wouldn't be attractive to pirates.

6. Marcel Offermans

Marcel Offermans Registered

3D models are not the only reason for encrypting content. Regularly it is about protecting data.

7. Boldaussie

Boldaussie Registered

Like most protection methods, encryption only stops the honest people.