SOLVED rF2 defaults to lower screen resolution on exit following update of video drivers

Discussion in 'Technical & Support' started by AndyG, May 3, 2014.

1. AndyG

AndyG Registered

One thing I have noticed. Every time I exit rF2 completely and re-enter - the Resolution defaults back to 1024 x 768 and I have to manually change to higher res for my screen (1920 x 1080). I press Apply in Game to change it, and it runs fine, but obviously it's not saving the settings.

Any ideas? (Didn't have this problem before I updated my ATI - AMD - video drivers this week).

2. Luc Van Camp

Luc Van Camp Track Team Staff Member

Try changing this in the Launcher > Configure Sim?

3. AndyG

AndyG Registered

Thank you Luc, that has fixed it:).

4. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

This is a sign that something is wrong with your install. When you change res in-game, it is saving to the wrong config.ini file. When you start the game or change res with the launcher's rFConfig, the proper config.ini is read. What is your install path?

5. MJP

MJP Registered

Surely there should only be one config.ini (assuming you don't have the SDK installed too which suffers a similar problem), I've tried swapping the rF Config EXEs around and tbh this looks like a build problem.

When you run the game a config.ini is created in Users\UserName\Documents\rFactor2\UserData

As long as you only change res in the launcher the game reads and saves from above location.

If you change res in-game then a config.ini is saved to UserData in the root rF2 folder*, if you don't have permissions then this gets saved in the VirtualStore. but the game keeps reading from the config.ini in Users\UserName\Documents\rFactor2\UserData.

Obviously if you have Core and Data installed in same folder then you won't notice anything amiss.

This problem has already been reported in the Bug Reports section although it was about the problem in the SDK because initially I didn't realise it impacted the normal game too (I have Core and Data in same folder).

* - btw is there a reason for those duplicate folders that get created in the root rF2 folder (i.e. the one with the launcher EXE) they've been there (and reported) since B198, just doesn't look right to me anyway.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2014
  6. Joe Campana

Joe Campana Registered

ok thx for that report.

7. Jeremy Miller

Jeremy Miller Former ISI Senior Programmer

This should be fixed in builds 682 or higher.